Cleaning inline muzzleloader at the range?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin's Fly

Reaction score
I have recently bought a Traditions Vortek LDR Northwest Magnum. I will be shooting conicals with musket caps and loose powder 777FG (Oregon legal). I have looked at a dozen Utube videos and have seen many folks cleaning their muzzleloaders with EZclean patches etc. Will this do a good job at cleaning a bore between 4-6 round shots? (I will be trying to find a load and bullet that "performs") I was thinking it may be better to clean my usual way with almost boiling water and dawn dish soap. What are some opinions on cleaning at the range?

Thank you
Justin

777 should be swabbed after every 2nd shot. The two shot policy is good for hunting purposes also. Many times hunters are faced with reloading their MLs (disappearing deer) after their 1st shot fire.

Traditions EZClean would build tackiness / gumminess in my bore. Not only that, but the product color was similar to rust, which is the antichrist in determining the condition of our bores.

Use simple swabbing agents like Windex or 70% alcohol in a small spray bottle, even spit when nothing else is available. You want something that dries fast and is gentle to your bore. Only time you need harsh cleaners is when the ML is home and you are thoroughly cleaning it with tougher solvents.

This is just me ... when I shoot 777 powder, I swab the bore after/between every shot. The reason is Triple Seven in some, not all rifles, can create a "crud ring." A crud ring is un-burnt powder, burnt powder that is now a fouling substance, etc. And in some, again ... not all rifles, this crud ring can do a couple things; it can lead a shooter/loader of the next round to mistake a false base on the rifle. As the shooter pushes the next round down the barrel on an un-swabbed barrel, they hit the crud ring and can (and have) mistake the feeling for ... being at the bottom of the breech. When actually they are just slightly higher then that. That means the powder dumped down is not compressed in an equal manner to the prior load. This can lead to poor second shot accuracy, and possibly even damage to the gun technically. Although I have never seen that.

To stay consistent in our shooting, we must do the same thing over and over with muzzle loaders. So by swabbing the barrel each time, we do that. We consistently have approximately the same barrel conditions shot to shot. So technically we take some of the inaccuracy factors out of the equation.

As for things to use to swab with. Save some money. Go to the Dollar Store and get a cheap bottle of window cleaner. I use old T shirts, but some patches work nice too. Just spritz the patch and work that down and back up the barrel in three inches at a time sections. Then flip the patch over and do it all over again. The trick is ... don't saturate the patch but don't run a dry patch down a dirty barrel. Just a slightly damp patch works best. And in time and practice you will be able to feel and tell which patch is perfect. If you can ring water out of the patch do it, it was too wet.

After the wet patch then run a dry patch or two. Now you have pulled the fouling, and dried the barrel so it can accept the next powder charge without contamination. And I see as usual, I have been rambling on. Windex works real good and is much cheaper to use.

When shooting non-BH209 powders in a range session, I swab after every shot. Agree, windex can be a good cheap tool to get the job done. The main thing is to knock down the heavy fouling, doesn't have to be "clean - clean" imo...you are mainly looking for consistency in loading and firing from shot to shot. Can be done with a spit patch if needed. While hunting, after a shot I will swab if I am not in a hurry to reload.

Thanks for the responses.
Love the rambling....thank you, makes sense to me and sounds like a good idea. I'll try her out once I buy the rest of my supplies. Still need cleaning supplies and powder. I will be trying 350gr maxihunters, 370gr maxiballs and I need to pick up some great plains 385gr.

Is there any reason to shoot a fouled barrel during muzzleloader season? I know my rifle shoots better the second and third round through the barrel. I have heard stories that someone's muzzleloader seemed to shoot better after the fourth shot. It looks like there would be issues with rust and heavy fouling at that point......... I will have to ask him if he just runs a patch through the gun without performing a "deep" cleaning.

Imo i would hunt with a clean gun . And know poi change for follow up shot.
Typically i find most guns shoot1 moa higher clean than fouled

I also hunt with a clean gun.
I set up a target for group shooting and the first group for 5 trips is fired on this target.
I have 3 inlines I use for hunting 2 of them will put the first shot high right in the same place so I can allow for it the other is usually 1.5 inches out of the group but it wanders in a circle around the group so I only hunt places where it is not normal to have a long shot. They will all shoot minute of deer for 150 yards.
If you don't know what your gun is doing your confidence in it will be less.

Lee 9 said:
I also hunt with a clean gun.
I set up a target for group shooting and the first group for 5 trips is fired on this target.
I have 3 inlines I use for hunting 2 of them will put the first shot high right in the same place so I can allow for it the other is usually 1.5 inches out of the group but it wanders in a circle around the group so I only hunt places where it is not normal to have a long shot. They will all shoot minute of deer for 150 yards.
If you don't know what your gun is doing your confidence in it will be less.

Good idea, I will keep that in mind at the range.

Minute of Deer..............MOD. awesome! :mrgreen:

I am using 777 pellets in my Traditions, and was wondering if there was a better bore cleaner than the EZ.

Confederate rifleman said:
For my between shot swabs I use straight rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly even when its cold, so no damp charges and no moisture trapped between barrel and sabot.

My patches are wet with a 50/50 mix of windshield washer and drug store alcohol. Cheap and effective. I belive Sabotloader has a tutorial on this and it's all I've ever used.

I do run 2-4 shots between swabbing when messing around at the range with conicals. Be sure to have a " hunting routine " established before your go out to the field. You want to know where it will hit with the barrel either fouled or clean.

I use loose 777, and have never used anything but plain water to wet my patches. They clean it well. I then run a dry patch through the barrel, and finish it with a patch with RemOil on it. My rifle is stainless steel, and it always looks clean after I've clean it.

Back