Cleaning round ball guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzlestuffer

Reaction score
Did anyone ever take a brite shiny bore barrel then run a bronze brush in it then a patch and have it come out black or gray ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

WHEN i CLEAN AT THE END OF THE DAY, I SCRUB THE BEEGEESUS OUT OF THE BORE WITH T/C #13., THEN FLUSH THE BORE WITH A PATCHED JAG WITH A FLANNEL COTTON PATCH AND PUMP THE BOILING HOT WATER IN AND OUT. REPEAT WITH CLEAN HOT WATER THEN DRY WITH MORE PATCHES.

Re: RE: Re: Cleaning round ball guns

triggerhappy243 said:
WHEN i CLEAN AT THE END OF THE DAY, I SCRUB THE BEEGEESUS OUT OF THE BORE WITH T/C #13., THEN FLUSH THE BORE WITH A PATCHED JAG WITH A FLANNEL COTTON PATCH AND PUMP THE BOILING HOT WATER IN AND OUT. REPEAT WITH CLEAN HOT WATER THEN DRY WITH MORE PATCHES.
I can't use hot water in my hawken full stock but I shot today and cleaned as normal then brushed and got some fouling out after so I'm going to brush from now on.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cleaning round ball guns

muzzlestuffer said:
triggerhappy243 said:
I can't use hot water in my hawken full stock but I shot today and cleaned as normal then brushed and got some fouling out after so I'm going to brush from now on.

When I shoot my inlines I always brush them especially shooting lead slugs

Make sure you use a Loop Through bore brush for Muzzleloaders, the most common bore brushes these days are the “Press Fitted” type, They can and will pull apart, leaving you with a stuck brush and wishing you hadn’t of done it :D The press fitted JUNK brushes are an accident waiting to happen

Here is a good “Loop Through” Bore Brush.
5cgsPcZ.jpg

Here is a “Press Fitted” Brush, AVOID these!
p11nSNw.jpg

Idaholewis said:
Make sure you use a Loop Through bore brush for Muzzleloaders, the most common bore brushes these days are the “Press Fitted” type, They can and will pull apart, leaving you with a stuck brush and wishing you hadn’t of done it :D The press fitted JUNK brushes are an accident waiting to happen

Here is a good “Loop Through” Bore Brush.
5cgsPcZ.jpg

Here is a “Press Fitted” Brush, AVOID these!
p11nSNw.jpg
Ahh not sure I ever noticed who makes the loop type ?

I pulled 1 apart in a TC Scout 1 time, I got REALLY lucky and was able to retrieve it without to much problem, that was the LAST time i used a “Press Fitted” Bore Brush, It's a bad feeling when you pull a brush apart in a Sidelock/Flintlock Bore! If by chance that ever happens, use a piece of copper tubing that will just fit down the bore, slide the tubing down and push when you get to the brush, the Tubing will go over the Bristles (brush will slide in the tubing), allowing you to extract it. Better to avoid it from happening in the first place by using a good Loop Through bore brush :yeah:

Caines outdoors sells them, I’m sure plenty of other places, Caines is the first that comes to mind. The ones i get locally are CVA packaged 50/54

Idaholewis said:
I pulled 1 apart in a TC Scout 1 time, I got REALLY lucky and was able to retrieve it without to much problem, that was the LAST time i used a “Press Fitted” Bore Brush, It's a bad feeling when you pull a brush apart in a Sidelock/Flintlock Bore! If by chance that ever happens, use a piece of copper tubing that will just fit down the bore, slide the tubing down and push when you get to the brush, the Tubing will go over the Bristles (brush will slide in the tubing), allowing you to extract it. Better to avoid it from happening in the first place by using a good Loop Through bore brush :yeah:

Caines outdoors sells them, I’m sure plenty of other places, Caines is the first that comes to mind. The ones i get locally are CVA packaged 50/54
Thanks for the heads up. The reason I started this thread was I was cleaning a older rifle and was shocked at how much fouling was in the barrel and how difficult it can be to remove even when using a brush so the moral of this story is for me I'm going to brush out the barrel every time to get the fouling out because once it gets in those deep grooves it's real hard to get it out !

Idaholewis said:

GREAT IDEA Lew and thanks for sharing that tip. I'll have to visit Caines and order some.

muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:

Thanks for the heads up. The reason I started this thread was I was cleaning a older rifle and was shocked at how much fouling was in the barrel and how difficult it can be to remove even when using a brush so the moral of this story is for me I'm going to brush out the barrel every time to get the fouling out because once it gets in those deep grooves it's real hard to get it out !

The use of a Bore Brush in a Muzzleloader is controversial, you will get MANY traditionalist, old timers, etc. that swear they are unnecessary? I for 1 believe in the use of a Good Bore Brush, And i advise them to others. The way i see it, they are not hurting anything, Why not use one a few passes to help break The fouling in the Grooves? A good bore brush in my cleaning routine just makes good sense to me. Anyone that knows me, and my Guns can attest that my Bores are Pristine, and to keep them that way i use a Good loop through Bore Brush, Barrel in a bucket of Luke warm Tap water so it draws up the bore, and is pushed back out through the Nipple hole (Fairly rapidly a few times to really flush the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber, and Nipple hole) I use a Little Dawn dish soap, and about 6-8 passes back n forth, Then back to my patches.

For a new to me rifle, or just plain filthy dirty i use a little handheld Steam Cleaner through the Nipple hole. WARNING! This can effect your cold bore shot BADLY! Especially With slip fit Paper Patched bullets, your First shot (Cold Clean Bore) will literally go Nuts! But after that 1st shot they will all go back where they are suppose to be. Tight fitting Grease Groove Bullets are FAR FAR less effected by this, In all of my testing they will be on Target, Paper Patched bullets on the other hand can miss by several feet, and this was just 50 Yards. I set up a 3X3 foot Square piece of Cardboard, i could NOT catch the Cold clean bore shot after a steam cleaning, and Paper Patched bullets

Steam Cleaner
P3aEnw8.jpg

This came from a rifle that i was POSITIVE was thoroughly clean, as you can clearly see the Steam cleaner found a BUNCH of Nasty! This came from the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber/Snail.
ZUHMzOs.jpg

This is the target I totally missed with the Cold clean Bore after a Deep Steam Cleaning, Again this was only 50 Yards, and using my PP bullets, I tried this several days in a Row, Not 1 time was i able to catch the Cold Clean bore shot using my Slip Fit Paper Patched bullets, To say it has a DRASTIC effect on the Cold clean bore shot with Slip Fit PP Bullets would be a HUGE understatement!
LqOM1Du.jpg

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cleaning round ball guns

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:

The use of a Bore Brush in a Muzzleloader is controversial, you will get MANY traditionalist, old timers, etc. that swear they are unnecessary? I for 1 believe in the use of a Good Bore Brush, And i advise them to others. The way i see it, they are not hurting anything, Why not use one a few passes to help break The fouling in the Grooves? A good bore brush in my cleaning routine just makes good sense to me. Anyone that knows me, and my Guns can attest that my Bores are Pristine, and to keep them that way i use a Good loop through Bore Brush, Barrel in a bucket of Luke warm Tap water so it draws up the bore, and is pushed back out through the Nipple hole (Fairly rapidly a few times to really flush the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber, and Nipple hole) I use a Little Dawn dish soap, and about 6-8 passes back n forth, Then back to my patches.

For a new to me rifle, or just plain filthy dirty i use a little handheld Steam Cleaner through the Nipple hole. WARNING! This can effect your cold bore shot BADLY! Especially With slip fit Paper Patched bullets, your First shot (Cold Clean Bore) will literally go Nuts! But after that 1st shot they will all go back where they are suppose to be. Tight fitting Grease Groove Bullets are FAR FAR less effected by this, In all of my testing they will be on Target, Paper Patched bullets on the other hand can miss by several feet, and this was just 50 Yards. I set up a 3X3 foot Square piece of Cardboard, i could NOT catch the Cold clean bore shot after a steam cleaning, and Paper Patched bullets

Steam Cleaner
P3aEnw8.jpg

This came from a rifle that i was POSITIVE was thoroughly clean, as you can clearly see the Steam cleaner found a BUNCH of Nasty! This came from the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber/Snail.
ZUHMzOs.jpg

This is the target I totally missed with the Cold clean Bore after a Deep Steam Cleaning, Again this was only 50 Yards, and using my PP bullets, I tried this several days in a Row, Not 1 time was i able to catch the Cold Clean bore shot using my Slip Fit Paper Patched bullets, To say it has a DRASTIC effect on the Cold clean bore shot with Slip Fit PP Bullets would be a HUGE understatement!
LqOM1Du.jpg
That looks more like rust than fouling to me my gunk was grayish black. I always oil the barrel for two or three days after cleaning as well to catch any gasses or gunk that seeps out of metal pores. You can try a squib load to foul before first shot to get on target ? All my cold first shots are within a inch or so of normal sight in.

I bought a Magspark 209 nipple specifically for Primer fouling my Sidelock bores before loading the first shot. I pop 2-3 Federal 209s through the bore, then switch back to my No. 11 Nipple, Works like a Dream :yeah: My point was after a Deep Steam Cleaning you DEFINITELY need to be aware that it can NEGATIVELY effect the Cold clean Bore shot.

That was Rust after the Steam cleaning, The Steam Cleaner through the nipple hole does an AMAZING job! This area is difficult to impossible to get thoroughly clean, and overtime builds up Rust/Crud. The Fire Channel, Patented Breech is where 99.9 % of Hangfires occur. I have never had a Hangfire since I learned how to properly clean this CRITICAL area.

Here is a look of a Cut away TC Hawken Barrel, you can see the Patented Breech, and Fire channel clearly in this view, Now imagine blasting hot steam through the nipple hole, it thoroughly cleans this area, and gets HOT, Run a few dry patches down the bore and thoroughly dry it, The Hot steel will evaporate ANY excess moisture, Wait a Little for it to cool, then Coat liberally with a good quality gun oil, i give it enough oil that i see a little spit out the nipple, Then fold a clean patch up and place it between the hammer and nipple and lower the Hammer down on it, With this method in a Sidelock you are fully protected :yeah:
VaLWbmJ.jpg

Another Draw up look at a Patented Breech
XxkFTZ4.jpg

Idaholewis said:
I bought a Magspark 209 nipple specifically for Primer fouling my Sidelock bores before loading the first shot. I pop 2-3 Federal 209s through the bore, then switch back to my No. 11 Nipple, Works like a Dream :yeah: My point was after a Deep Steam Cleaning you DEFINITELY need to be aware that it can NEGATIVELY effect the Cold clean Bore shot.

That was Rust after the Steam cleaning, The Steam Cleaner through the nipple hole does an AMAZING job! This area is difficult to impossible to get thoroughly clean, and overtime builds up Rust/Crud. The Fire Channel, Patented Breech is where 99.9 % of Hangfires occur. I have never had a Hangfire since I learned how to properly clean this CRITICAL area.

Here is a look of a Cut away TC Hawken Barrel, you can see the Patented Breech, and Fire channel clearly in this view, Now imagine blasting hot steam through the nipple hole, it thoroughly cleans this area, and gets HOT, Run a few dry patches down the bore and thoroughly dry it, The Hot steel will evaporate ANY excess moisture, Wait a Little for it to cool, then Coat liberally with a good quality gun oil, i give it enough oil that i see a little spit out the nipple, Then fold a clean patch up and place it between the hammer and nipple and lower the Hammer down on it, With this method in a Sidelock you are fully protected :yeah:
VaLWbmJ.jpg

Another Draw up look at a Patented Breech
XxkFTZ4.jpg
Cool cut away thanks for sharing. Fyi I also use pipe cleaners for the flash channels to clean out. I take the nipples out every time and clean everything. K also have used jb bore paste on the pipe cleaners to run thru the flash channel to get debris out and smooth out any rough spots. Tip I cut the pipe cleaners in three pieces so not to waste and also helps stiffen a bit since shorter to push thru the flash holes.

Finally got the kroil I ordered this stuff really works great it's getting all the fouling out of the grooves I've been putting some jb bore paste and kroil on a bronze brush and scrubbing and really getting in the grooves letting it soak in between scrubbing and the fouling in the grooves is really loosening up and disappearing.the barrel is getting super bright and shiny !

Idaholewis said:

I'm having a real hard time finding those brushes ant ideas ?
Thanks

I'm having a real hard time finding those brushes ant ideas ? Try proshotproducts.com they ate 2.99 each I just ordered some

Rlsmith said:
I'm having a real hard time finding those brushes ant ideas ? Try proshotproducts.com they ate 2.99 each I just ordered some
Are you sure there the same as above pic ? I just went on their site and the pic shows a crimped brush

Back