Cleaning round ball guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: RE: Re: Cleaning round ball guns

I must be blind cause I didn't see them do you know what they call them ?
Idaholewis said:
All of the Pro Shot brushes i have seen are the Crimped style.

Have you tried Caines Outdoors? They have the good ones! From 32 to .75 Cal, and 8-32 or 10-32 Thread. Here is a Link

http://cainsoutdoor.com/shop/product.asp

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:

Have you tried Caines Outdoors? They have the good ones! From 32 to .75 Cal, and 8-32 or 10-32 Thread. Here is a Link

They have an odd website, When you open the link, select the drop down Category thing? Scroll down to Cleaning-Brushes, they only sell the Good ones, I don’t think they sell the Cheapo press fitted brushes?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cleaning round ball guns

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:

They have an odd website, When you open the link, select the drop down Category thing? Scroll down to Cleaning-Brushes, they only sell the Good ones, I don’t think they sell the Cheapo press fitted brushes?
Ok I'll try again I thought I saw a picture but it was the press fit type? I'm off tomorrow I'll give em a buzz .
Thanks !!

Here is the description of their Brushes

Bore cleaning brushes designed especially for muzzleloaders. The solid brass base is drilled and the brass wire is inserted thru the base and then assembled with the wire bristles thus preventing the brush from pulling off the base and becoming stuck in the bore.

Rlsmith said:
I'm having a real hard time finding those brushes ant ideas ? Try proshotproducts.com they ate 2.99 each I just ordered some

It seems like Idahoron told me that he got a few Pro shot brushes quite sometime ago that were the good Loop Through style? I have never seen them by Pro Shot. All of my Centerfire cleaning stuff is Pro Shot, I have 5 different cleaning Rods of theirs, and all Pro Shot attachments, Not 1 single Pro Shot brush of mine is the Good Loop through Style, they are all the press fitted type.

We have a North 40 Outfitters about 20 miles from me, they carry 99% Pro Shot stuff, I checked their selection back when Idahoron mentioned getting a few of the Good Loop Through style. All of the Pro Shot brushes that North 40 had were the Press fitted Junk type as well. I’m not saying they don’t make them, But you want to make Darn sure!

CVA, Traditions, Brushes are the Good Loop Through style, I have several of them in .50 and .54

Do you have any model numbers by any chance ?
Thanks
Idaholewis said:
Rlsmith said:
I'm having a real hard time finding those brushes ant ideas ? Try proshotproducts.com they ate 2.99 each I just ordered some

It seems like Idahoron told me that he got a few Pro shot brushes quite sometime ago that were the good Loop Through style? I have never seen them by Pro Shot. All of my Centerfire cleaning stuff is Pro Shot, I have 5 different cleaning Rods of theirs, and all Pro Shot attachments, Not 1 single Pro Shot brush of mine is the Good Loop through Style, they are all the press fitted type.

We have a North 40 Outfitters about 20 miles from me, they carry 99% Pro Shot stuff, I checked their selection back when Idahoron mentioned getting a few of the Good Loop Through style. All of the Pro Shot brushes that North 40 had were the Press fitted Junk type as well. I’m not saying they don’t make them, But you want to make Darn sure!

CVA, Traditions, Brushes are the Good Loop Through style, I have several of them in .50 and .54

muzzlestuffer said:
Ok thanks driving me nuts trying to find them ! Lol
Idaholewis said:
Here is another Link to Traditions, These are the Good Brushes. I don’t have any model numbers. The 2 links i provided both sell the Good Loop Through style Brushes

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... -cal-a1540

It’s DEFINITELY worth the time to find the Good Brushes :yeah: Its a $hitty feeling when you pull a cheap brush apart when it’s bottomed out in a Sidelock :x These Good loop through brushes WON’T do that :yeah:

muzzlestuffer wrote:
Idaholewis wrote:
Here is another Link to Traditions, These are the Good Brushes. I don’t have any model numbers. The 2 links i provided both sell the Good Loop Through style Brushes

It’s DEFINITELY worth the time to find the Good Brushes :yeah: Its a $hitty feeling when you pull a cheap brush apart when it’s bottomed out in a Sidelock :x These Good loop through brushes WON’T do that. I checked Cain's they have them.

Rlsmith said:
muzzlestuffer wrote:
Idaholewis wrote:

It’s DEFINITELY worth the time to find the Good Brushes :yeah: Its a $hitty feeling when you pull a cheap brush apart when it’s bottomed out in a Sidelock :x These Good loop through brushes WON’T do that. I checked Cain's they have them.
Finally received my good brushes thanks for the info ! Now just have to find some in .58 cal

Idaholewis said:
muzzlestuffer said:
Idaholewis said:
I pulled 1 apart in a TC Scout 1 time, I got REALLY lucky and was able to retrieve it without to much problem, that was the LAST time i used a “Press Fitted” Bore Brush, It's a bad feeling when you pull a brush apart in a Sidelock/Flintlock Bore! If by chance that ever happens, use a piece of copper tubing that will just fit down the bore, slide the tubing down and push when you get to the brush, the Tubing will go over the Bristles (brush will slide in the tubing), allowing you to extract it. Better to avoid it from happening in the first place by using a good Loop Through bore brush :yeah:

Caines outdoors sells them, I’m sure plenty of other places, Caines is the first that comes to mind. The ones i get locally are CVA packaged 50/54
Thanks for the heads up. The reason I started this thread was I was cleaning a older rifle and was shocked at how much fouling was in the barrel and how difficult it can be to remove even when using a brush so the moral of this story is for me I'm going to brush out the barrel every time to get the fouling out because once it gets in those deep grooves it's real hard to get it out !

The use of a Bore Brush in a Muzzleloader is controversial, you will get MANY traditionalist, old timers, etc. that swear they are unnecessary? I for 1 believe in the use of a Good Bore Brush, And i advise them to others. The way i see it, they are not hurting anything, Why not use one a few passes to help break The fouling in the Grooves? A good bore brush in my cleaning routine just makes good sense to me. Anyone that knows me, and my Guns can attest that my Bores are Pristine, and to keep them that way i use a Good loop through Bore Brush, Barrel in a bucket of Luke warm Tap water so it draws up the bore, and is pushed back out through the Nipple hole (Fairly rapidly a few times to really flush the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber, and Nipple hole) I use a Little Dawn dish soap, and about 6-8 passes back n forth, Then back to my patches.

For a new to me rifle, or just plain filthy dirty i use a little handheld Steam Cleaner through the Nipple hole. WARNING! This can effect your cold bore shot BADLY! Especially With slip fit Paper Patched bullets, your First shot (Cold Clean Bore) will literally go Nuts! But after that 1st shot they will all go back where they are suppose to be. Tight fitting Grease Groove Bullets are FAR FAR less effected by this, In all of my testing they will be on Target, Paper Patched bullets on the other hand can miss by several feet, and this was just 50 Yards. I set up a 3X3 foot Square piece of Cardboard, i could NOT catch the Cold clean bore shot after a steam cleaning, and Paper Patched bullets

Steam Cleaner
P3aEnw8.jpg

This came from a rifle that i was POSITIVE was thoroughly clean, as you can clearly see the Steam cleaner found a BUNCH of Nasty! This came from the Patented Breech/Powder Chamber/Snail.
ZUHMzOs.jpg

This is the target I totally missed with the Cold clean Bore after a Deep Steam Cleaning, Again this was only 50 Yards, and using my PP bullets, I tried this several days in a Row, Not 1 time was i able to catch the Cold Clean bore shot using my Slip Fit Paper Patched bullets, To say it has a DRASTIC effect on the Cold clean bore shot with Slip Fit PP Bullets would be a HUGE understatement!
LqOM1Du.jpg

What steamcleaner (brand and model) is that? An extras to effectively clean a muzzleloader? Best practices for using it to clean a muzzleloader?

It’s just a cheap handheld steam cleaner, for deep cleaning it works SPECTACULAR :yeah: But you REALLY need to test your cold clean Bore shot and NOT just trust that it will be there! My cold clean bore shot problems came from using my Slip Fit Paper Patched Bullets, Deep Steam cleaning doesn’t seem to negatively effect a Snug Fitting Grease Groove bullet nearly as bad, But stil check the Cold clean bore no matter what bullet you shoot :yeah:

Pedersoli markets a Steam Cleaner for Muzzleloader cleaning, and it is EXPENSIVE! They have Youtube videos of using it. The little cheap handheld Steam Cleaner does the exact same thing, Steam is Steam! I got mine from Amazon, they make a BUNCH of different models (probably all made in the same Chinese Sweat shop? :lol: ) The trigger on mine is messed up, but i have used it a TON! When mine finally gives out i will likely buy a much better unit, 1 that i can do my guns with, but also around the home, vehicles, etc. But Just for Muzzleloader cleaning the cheap little handheld models work plenty well

This is the nice one i would get

https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1275 ... B0000DF0RB

Idaholewis said:
It’s just a cheap handheld steam cleaner, for deep cleaning it works SPECTACULAR :yeah: But you REALLY need to test your cold clean Bore shot and NOT just trust that it will be there! My cold clean bore shot problems came from using my Slip Fit Paper Patched Bullets, Deep Steam cleaning doesn’t seem to negatively effect a Snug Fitting Grease Groove bullet nearly as bad, But stil check the Cold clean bore no matter what bullet you shoot :yeah:

Pedersoli markets a Steam Cleaner for Muzzleloader cleaning, and it is EXPENSIVE! They have Youtube videos of using it. The little cheap handheld Steam Cleaner does the exact same thing, Steam is Steam! I got mine from Amazon, they make a BUNCH of different models (probably all made in the same Chinese Sweat shop? :lol: ) The trigger on mine is messed up, but i have used it a TON! When mine finally gives out i will likely buy a much better unit, 1 that i can do my guns with, but also around the home, vehicles, etc. But Just for Muzzleloader cleaning the cheap little handheld models work plenty well

This is the nice one i would get

https://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC1275 ... B0000DF0RB

I will watch my cold bore shots doing this for sure! I am just thinking though it would be good to give my flinter the cleaning it needs and deserves. What attachment do you use to get the entire inside of the barrel clean? How about the nipple hole?

Latest posts

Back