Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences? UPDATE: Range report!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also shooting the 300 gr XTP, except I'm using a MMP HPH12 sabot, and my experience was very similar to yours. With this particular bullet, accuracy was mediocre at 100 gr, but improved noticeably at a higher charge. In my case, 105 gr BH209.

My cleanup process was this:

Run a dry patch through first to push out any loose crud (read about this here).

Then I used foaming bore cleaner to fill the barrel and let it sit 20 minutes. Ran a couple of dry patches through to push out all the dissolved crud.

Alternated a few times between a brush and a patch soaked with #9.

Finished with dry patches followed by one patch lightly coated with Ballistol.

Some passes with a bronze brush seemed to help loosen stuff up, particularly after a good soaking with solvent or bore cleaner. Give the solvent time to work. It took me a while to clean my rifle, but most of the time was letting stuff sit with solvent doing it's job. Actual work time was fairly short.

Some passes with a bronze brush seemed to help loosen stuff up, particularly after a good soaking with solvent or bore cleaner. Give the solvent time to work. It took me a while to clean my rifle, but most of the time was letting stuff sit with solvent doing it's job. Actual work time was fairly short.

Earlier this morning. He was about 25 yards away, and ran about 30 before he dropped. XTP Mag got the job done. Completely destroyed the lungs and 1/3 of the heart.

683EA6EC-77F5-4B91-BE96-F075DE9FE030_zpsamruddri.jpg

Sweet. Looks like a great shot. Bullet placement perfect. Sometimes the close shot can be a little tricky. :applause: Accura MR is a great looking gun.

Congrats to both of you on your great bucks! That .452 300 gr. XTP mag is a hammer. Both our bucks this year dropped in their tracks! I am very impressed with my accura mr and that bullet.

silentstalker said:
Congrats to both of you on your great bucks! That .452 300 gr. XTP mag is a hammer. Both our bucks this year dropped in their tracks! I am very impressed with my accura mr and that bullet.

Thanks!

I'd add the blood trail was excellent. I saw the buck drop, so it wasn't needed, but I went to the point of impact curious about the blood trail.

Lots of big, thick blobs of blood and pulverized lung. If this deer had run off into the brush, tracking would have been easy, even at night. I have a lot of confidence in this ML and bullet.

That is good to hear. I wish I would have tried this bullet sooner! I shot a ton of other "more accurate" bullets but nothing compared to the XTP in my Accura.

My buck was broadside with a full pass thru. My daughters was quartering to us. She hit him on the point of the shoulder and I found the bullet in the opposite hind quarter under the skin about two inches to the left of the tail. That is some serious penetration! It still weighed 277 grains.

3ce0e2223f7abc61de1e8598d11ed3bc.jpg

Glad it worked well for you too!

First post bare with me!
I just tried out my new Accura V2 Nitride just to sight in after installing the replacement scope. I'm using the CVA 209 Buckhorn plug and started with scaled 70 grains weight loads of 209 and the Barns TEZ 250gr..451 sabots. My thought was just to burn some powder and get a feel of the gun. Just used 25 yards for scope set up didn't bore sight at all only leveled and set scope to mount it. I must say the aluminum was a pain, unable to use my magnetic levels! My first shot was only 2" off right and low about the same. By the time I got #3 all was looking good, #4 change totally. I looked at breach plug it was a plugged toilet. I'm using my old *97 Remington un-restricted port primers not many of them around. Cleaned it with a drill and then a weld torch cleaning file, all looked good. Next shots were at 75 yards and looking good again.
So after I finished up I started to clean the gun taking a good look at the plug again. I figure a real cleaning was a easy option so into my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner, and 380 seconds later was spotless clean. I re-ran the drill and file to check, no issues looked 100% new clean.
Not sure anyone has tried this but it sure works great on my brass primer pockets and many other things. Thank for reading.

Welcome to the forum! These Bergara barrels on the CVA muzzleloader shoot pretty good :D but as you learned, keeping the breech plug clear is critical.

There was a question on the load/bullet that I used to take my buck. My sons & I use the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet and I use 2 pellets of T7 while one of my sons uses BH209. This is a recovered Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet from a buck shot at about 40/45 yards & he ran about 30 yards & piled up, load was T7. We did not recover the bullet from my buck as it was a pass through. I forgot to add that we use the rubber O-Ring in the BP and the primers come out clean as a whistle.

IMG_3273.jpg

Latest posts

Back