Contacted CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of feel sorry for those at BPI that have to try to explain this to people,, they told me straight up that the rifles were built around their bullet,,, they need to change how the rifles are being marketed, they need to be presented to the public as only shooting the power belt bullet,, and that CVA is not responsible for anyone trying to shoot any other bullet in that barrel even though there are some alternatives. One problem though, there have been some bad batches,, production runs of their power belt bullets. I continue to be a big accura,,50 cal fan but I hope the American market rejects all of their 45 Cal rifles until the issue is changed,, to those that are happy with the power belt bullet and want to be limited to that probably still a decent rifle. It seems like the American market doesn't like being told this is your rifle this is your bullet shut up.

Selling a rifle made to shoot ONE bullet is insane and that is exactly what CVA did with the newest 45cals. Bores that large wont even work well with sabots and typical 40cal bullets.

Who here would buy a Rem700 30-06 and be told it will only shoot ONE Core Loct bullet? If you want to shoot other bullets TOO BAD!!!

CVA/Bergara in the early 90's peddled a bunch of ML that would explode when fired. They never did accept responsibility for it. The info is online, and if any of you are looking to purchase a CVA of that vintage used, it would behoove you to get the date code off the gun and look it up.

i think there are people on this sight that helped create some of these problems . It is just my two cents

Thats bs. Try again in an hour or 3. Get their name and write it down, very first thing, before any arguments start.
I contacted another person they said send the rifle in Now I am leary from previous post people said they sent CVA's in and got the rifle back with nothing done and nothing with it I tried some 250 grain bullets in light blue harvester sabots they did not fall through the barrel and went down with slight resistance Maybe this would the answer run a bullet between to files to increase bullet size?

Get some 40cal Furys bullets in the .402+ range. See if Dennis can send you a sample to try. Just to see how it loads in a HLB sabot. Get them as large as he can make them.

A .402 in a HLB sabot will be about .456 loaded OD but IMO you will need them larger than that. A 41mag bullet may even work if the bore is REALLY large.

I have had a few CVA rifles one an old side hammer, and 2 brake action 45-70 conversions.. The Apex sized (sabotless @ .4505 and my current Scout @ .451. These (brake actions) are 45-70 barrels and if the said barrel is a regular ml barrel, I'm not sure if there is an industry std.

I was so close to buying one of these 45mrx rifles but just decided to hold off based on Mntn Monkeys report. I was going to sell my White or my current Accura. Glad i held off. I really hope that CVA comes to their senses. There are plenty of ways to shoot bore size bullets but it shouldn't have to be jumping thru hoops to do it.

Get some 40cal Furys bullets in the .402+ range. See if Dennis can send you a sample to try. Just to see how it loads in a HLB sabot. Get them as large as he can make them.

A .402 in a HLB sabot will be about .456 loaded OD but IMO you will need them larger than that. A 41mag bullet may even work if the bore is REALLY large.
That is exactly what I did. Still haven’t had a chance to shoot it…hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I’m planning on taking it out to try them. I’ll post pictures of how it shoots. Also thinking about trying both large rifle primers and 209 primers through my chrono and documenting difference in velocity and standard deviation between the two. I know it’s been done and documented before but im curious to see it for myself with my gun/loads. But that’s if I don’t decide to take the dog out for one last pheasant hunt. Calling for rain though so most likely it’ll be a range day

Sounds like a lot of issues I wouldn’t want to have for a new piece.
Regardless as you suggested.
Possibly being rhetorical but, get some .458’s and size down. Standard inexpensive Lee sizer comes in .454. Maybe it will be all one needs.
Knurl up if needed.
Dennis really came through for me with some odd .442 SP for a SML I have.
If anyone can help , it would be him.

Pin gauges would be handy to check the total bore .

Maybe a new name for this model; “CVA Problem Child”. 🤔😆

I kind of feel sorry for those at BPI that have to try to explain this to people,, they told me straight up that the rifles were built around their bullet,,, they need to change how the rifles are being marketed, they need to be presented to the public as only shooting the power belt bullet,, and that CVA is not responsible for anyone trying to shoot any other bullet in that barrel even though there are some alternatives. One problem though, there have been some bad batches,, production runs of their power belt bullets. I continue to be a big accura,,50 cal fan but I hope the American market rejects all of their 45 Cal rifles until the issue is changed,, to those that are happy with the power belt bullet and want to be limited to that probably still a decent rifle. It seems like the American market doesn't like being told this is your rifle this is your bullet shut up.
NAILED IT!

I would really like to shoot bare bullets I was thinking I may try and size down a .458 to fit the bore
I'm going to try this same thing. I was looking at the Hornady 325gr FTX but I don't want to buy 50 of them and find out it won't work. I can't imagine it wouldn't though. Going down to .454 from .458 isn't all that much. I'm just concerned about damage to the bullet being done by the smooth sizing process that would cause issues with terminal performance.

Back