Cost of Powder - Amounts by VOLUME

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cost of Powder

Who'd have thought, shooting a 390-500gr PP bullet, with less than 100grs of BP and consistently hitting a target at 500yds, with some shooting out to 1,000yds?
Not me when I started shooting long range. ....lol Just think, in the late 1800's some of the matches had over 100,000 people attending, just to watch. 52bore has a LOT of info on long range and the history of it and don't get him started on English target rifles.....lol. I am looking forward to the match and meeting some new people, my biggest passion in shooting is BP and promoting it to secure it's future, although I purchased BH209 , will be heading to the range with the crony as soon as the weather breaks.

Does he really use 90gr by weight of Swiss with a 535gr bullet? Is the gun really heavy? Recoil must be stout.
The Gibbs that some of us shoot weighs about 11 lbs and has a steel "shotgun" type buttplate and the drop is not much to promote better rest for long range. I shoot 78 grains of 3F with a recoil pad on my shoulder , as shooting 200 shots in a couple days will get to you . In the inlines, mine has a pad on the stock, it's wonderful to shoot with the same load all day.

On the Gibbs , yes. I use a Kelley soule LR On the rear and a Kelley front that takes lyman 17a inserts and has an extra .200 height.

Sounds like fun. I should have tried it when I still had good vision.

52bore,

I know we got off on the wrong foot, but I have already forgiven you for the nice comments about my chair riding abilities in that earlier post. I grew up on a farm, have extremely thick skin, and I have never been accused of sugar coating anything. So yeah, blunt might be the word. Oh, and I really do shoot when I have time. I have a range 50 yards out my back door. Even still, it seems it is never enough lately.

We need to set aside any argument when it comes to unsafe information posted here or anywhere. Safety has to be first and foremost. Sometimes we need to police our own ranks to keep people safe. We have a lot of lurkers here to glean information, and we need to make sure they are getting good safe information.

The Volumetric Unit of measuring Black Powder Substitutes is the Industry Standard. This is and has always been that way. Yes, all powders can be converted to weight, after we know what the conversion rate is.

In your first post in this thread, pertaining to your Blackhorn 209 chart. The last 4 weights you have posted (85, 90, 95, and 100) are all unsafe overloads for any bullet according to Western Powders. If this chart were in Volume equivalents, there would be no problem. The maximum Volumetric charge is 120 grains by Volume, and the maximum charge by Weight is 84 grains. Please go back and remove the last 4 so somebody doesn't copy your chart, thinking these are safe loads. They are not.

I understand this is entirely up to you, but I also know Hal and the Moderators like to keep things safe around here. You never know when that 14 year old boy sees that information and thinks he can stoke his San Pan Special

I hope we can put this all behind us? Oh, and if you want to see that "energetic" word, see #7 below.

The Following information is for anyone that is new to Blackhorn 209, or looking at it for the first time. I have quoted some valuable information, but do yourself a favor and click on every link on the site if you are interested in this powder. There is a HUGE learning curve when it comes to Blackhorn 209, but nothing a little reading and a few questions cannot clear up.

Here is a link to the load data from Western Powders on the Blackhorn 209 site. These loads have all been safely tested in their pressure barrels at their Ballistic Lab in Miles City, Montana. Click on the view box for the load data for muzzleloading rifles.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/load-data/

Here is their FAQ page, and lots of good information to help bring people up to speed quickly and safely.

7. My gun is rated for 150 grains. Can I shoot 150 grains of Blackhorn 209?

Typically, guns are rated for 150 grains of black powder or Pyrodex. Blackhorn 209 is more energetic and will achieve or exceed the velocities of Pyrodex with less powder. See our load data page for maximum volumetric charges.

10. Your charge recommendations are in Volumetric Units. What are these and is it the same as weight in grains?

Volumetric Units are NOT the same as weight in grains. Blackhorn is used by volume and therefore the charge is a measurement by volume. A volume charge is measured with a standard black powder measure. It is not weighed and a setting of 100 does not mean that you have 100 grains by weight, not even black powder. The loading densities of all substitutes and grades of black powder are different. The same volume of any will yield different weights of powder

5. Can I weigh my charges?

Yes. If you prefer to weigh charges, you can convert the volume load recommendations into weighed grains by multiplying the volume load by 0.7. Example: 100 units by volume x 0.7 = 70 grains by weight. 110 volume charge x 0.7 = 77 grains by weight

18. Can I use Conical bullets with Blackhorn 209?

In many cases conical bullets may work fine. However, results vary depending on the many factors so we cannot recommend conical bullets. However, many shooters have reported good results with Hornady FPB and Thor bullets.

19. I have your original guide that does not recommend bullets above 350 grains. Does this still apply?

Our original testing did not proceed beyond 350 grain bullets and as such, was not included in our first published load guide. See our current load data page for specific loads

http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

Blackhorn 209 Advantages.

Blackhorn 209 is a low residue, high performance propellant made for muzzleloaders and black powder cartridges. It is engineered to consistently shoot at higher velocities and with greater accuracy than any other muzzleloader powder available today. In fact, if you compare the advantages of Blackhorn 209, you will quickly see there are nine areas where Blackhorn 209 simply smokes the competition:

1. Superior Ballistics and Unbeatable Accuracy

At volume equivalents, Blackhorn 209 is ballistically superior to other muzzleloading propellants. It consistently delivers higher velocities and remarkable accuracy – something every shooter expects but has rarely experienced with other propellants. When using Blackhorn 209, your muzzleloader will consistently perform at peak levels of accuracy. With the industry’s lowest standard deviations, you can count on Blackhorn 209 for precise performance and repeatable results.

The other 8 are in this link.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/advantages/

I have to wonder if the claim it's more accurate is true?

On the long range competition (1000yd). How is the accuracy between Swiss and BH 209?

It is a ton of fun, I myself am over 50 and my eyes are not what they used to be, but the Hadley eye cups helps tremendously. I tell ANYONE, come to Friendship and I'll make sure you get fed have a place to stay and shoot all you want for free, there is no other place like it in the world when it comes to muzzleloading and the friendships that are formed over the years. If long range is not your game, I have other types of muzzeleloaders that might catch your fancy.

jwhill said:
It is a ton of fun, I myself am over 50 and my eyes are not what they used to be, but the Hadley eye cups helps tremendously. I tell ANYONE, come to Friendship and I'll make sure you get fed have a place to stay and shoot all you want for free, there is no other place like it in the world when it comes to muzzleloading and the friendships that are formed over the years. If long range is not your game, I have other types of muzzeleloaders that might catch your fancy.

They do. I used to go to BP shoots. Some paper shooting, and some gong shooting out to 125yds. All done offhand. That's my favorite type of shooting. I shot CAS for a decade, and loved that. In the 70's I did a lot of trap shooting, and actually made a decent living doing it. So, all my shooting including hunting has been offhand. It's always my first choice.

I'm going to start doing the BP shoots again. I also do some postal shoots, but those are kind of boring, because you do them alone. My hunting is coming to a close, so BP shoots interest me more now. I wish my vision was better, but at 72 I can't expect much.

I have a few offhand rifles you would enjoy as well as a couple of shotguns. The offer stands , by the way my father still shoots some at 76, although last year he had a bad year , this year he will be shooting again. I think you would like BPCR as well.

52Bore said:
Can't figure out why everyone goes down the price road with only BH209?

52Bore, I honestly think that its because BH is SO much more on the shelf for what appears to be a jug about half the size. Where I live BH runs about $45 for a 10oz jug. The avg shooter/hunter sees that and their first thought is HOLY CRAP!... that's 2x what my Pyrodex/T7/BP cost and the jug is smaller, it sure is expensive. Pellets are the worst... but nobody ever questions their cost per shot because they are "convenient". :d'oh!:

The reality is, none of it is really expensive unless you shoot a ton. The avg guy is spending hardly anything on the sport overall each year. Heck, most of the guys I know shoot a handful of shots each season. A couple sighters, and maybe a few while hunting. To them, it makes no difference at all how much it costs.

Good thread, lots of great info posted. :yeah:

I buy 3-4 jugs of BH monthly..like some things you never know when the river will run dry...i average at least half a jug on a range day with 3 rifles to shoot and this spring it will be 4 with the hew knight...there was a deal on 5 poung jugs awhile back at midwest shotters,com...was 211.00 but I ordered 2 but they dont ship to my state...I have tried the 777 loose powder but dont like the cleaning after a few shots...never used a pellet yet...I would rather shoot BP over pellets...I must say I love the smell of BP in the morning..lol...

This topic is about the cost of shooting. I think the data is correct as it stands. I think someone has posted a lot of information, but not 1 factual point toward the “Cost of Shooting”.
I suggest he start another post about his BH209 safety concerns.

Interesting that bestill shot 100gr by weight the in the first NMLRA In-line match and just saw his post that he is now shooting 90gr by weight. I was literally right there with him at the first In-line match (we talk more as we gotten to know one another since) but, that’s one reason my data shows up to 100gr, because I know people who are shooting 100gr by weight of BP and BH209. I have now learned that 84gr by weight is the Max BH209 recommended.

Muleyhunter: I noticed your post at 11:17, couldn't agree more.
I'm sure they'll be some actual testing down the road to post on this topic alone..

it depends on the gun and type of ignition what it likes to be fed. but it is pretty interesting to see 2 totally different styles, start out so far apart and end up so close together.

WVhunter: I agree with your 1:12 post, especially the 2nd paragraph.
Take the guys I know that shot at Friendship, including bestill. He posted his load costing $2.81/shot. My BP load cost me $0.41 (23 cents for powder, 7.5 cents for bullet + wad and primer). That's 680% more or nearly 7x. Take just the NMLRA In-line match at 28 shots for score + sighters & practice say 40 shots max. $112.40 vs $16.40. You can do the math if we both shoot 500 rounds a year.
I have never stated anything against BH (now I have a can to try) but now that were into the total cost of shooting: jwhill is correct - why should I shoot BH209?

OK...Let me weigh in here. I have learned a lot in this thread that I didn't know and the chart showing cost is excellent and a great tool. But 52bore, put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I think that all of us realize that you were presenting us this chart to show cost per shot and that is what you have done. Frankly I have come close to locking this thread two times because of the personal comments and derogatory remarks but once I posted about this it calmed down so I let it ride.

As the owner of this site one of my major concerns is safety for the complete novice and someone, that might not even join the forum, looking at the very first post, which is your chart, and assuming, without actually reading the warnings on the Blackhorn site regarding their recommendation to not exceed 84grains by weight, might conclude that they can use, by volume, 85/90/95/100, etc. You guys are seasoned, experienced ML enthusiast and know your guns limitations. But I would not want to read about someone getting seriously hurt NOR be liable for misread information.

So...I respectfully ask that you edit your very first post with a BOLD statement just above the charts that this information is strictly for Cost Per Shot analysis and not to be misunderstood for recommended load by volume measurements (I can do it for you if you like but wanted to appeal to you first).

Thanks for understanding and for supplying some excellent information!

Hal

I don't know about the fall shoot but, I believe in Unlimited (10#+) in the spring match, BH took the top spot. In the Hunter class, pellets took it :poke:

It was stated by Bestill in another post about 500 yd specks . He stated his load was 100 grns. by weight of BH209.

Latest posts

Back