Crossfire Breach Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a used stainless Original DISC with camo stock and it came with the plug shown in the pic along with a new one of the same type. I had never seen them before and did some research on here and saw they were called crossfire breach plugs supposedly designed for use with pellets but good for all types of powder. I replaced the plug and bolt so I could use bare primers but was curious if these plugs were effective. I didn't really see anything about how well they worked or didn't work in the various threads. As you can see the one that was in the gun was very well used! Surprisingly, the rest of the gun was/is pretty darn good shape. So if anyone used them, please let us know how they performed.

Thanks
John20220119_212627.jpg20220119_212602.jpg

When I first had my Disc , it came with that plug. At that time I was using pellets and it worked great. Then I switched over to bare primer and now I’m using Blackhorn

Ive got a crossfire plug that came with one of my discs, but never used it. First thing i did was replace it. You should try that one out. I bet it works fine. From the look of them they probably work with powder or pellets.

Well, I guess I will give it a go! I threw the older one out, it looks pretty beat up. I'll have to bring it and some orange tabs when I take it to the range for sighting in. Now I'm curious about it when using BH. Always something!

I haven't modified plugs ,,but it sure looks like you could just take a drill bit and open the end of those cross slots up a little bit and make it more powder friendly. Sure wouldn't hurt to experiment with the old one

Thanks Mnt Monkey, I was thinking the whole modification, drill out flash channel, clear about 3/8 into plug, 82deg shoulder and then tap. May not be enough room/side wall on that plug for that. Will try your suggestion first. Will not be until spring but plenty of time to make the mod.

Looks like the bottom breechplug has been modified . Compared to the top one, the cross slots are overly drilled hitting the outside edges and the crosses are not cut perpendicular to each other. My two cents...

I too assumed it was just badly worn out. I did notice it was slightly different but attributed it to heavy use. I pulled it out of the trash and will still probably see if I can modify it when it snows and I am stuck at home again (with power I hope).

Back