crud ring ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot52

Reaction score
last year shot an encore 95gr. 777 3f 250gr. sw at range 100yds. shot great swabbed between shots never a problem this year moved up to a pro hunter same load everything go to swab between shots crud ring is so bad trouble pulling patch back out sometimes have to pull breach plug clled t/c they said 777 will give crud ring use pyrodex dont understand never aproblem with crud ring pro hunter ring is terrible can anyone help me with this problem vvvvery frustrated

Crud

I shoot T7 , loose 110 grain load and yes that Crud ring is terible. My Pro hunter has to be swabbed between shots and I usually give a twist at the bottom so my patch comes out. I will be going to BH 209 when my T7 is used up, supposed ot be cleaner.

Oneshot,

I?m curious as to what primers you are using in your Pro Hunter, what you are swabbing with between shots and what you use to clean your rifle when a range session is over. How many shots are you talking about before this crud ring is that bad?

Curtis

i get the same crud with the omega and pyrodex, along with those expensive $8 a box winchester 777 primers. I think its a breech plug design causing the problem but who knows. I dont even think the factory does.

oneshot52 said:
last year shot an encore 95gr. 777 3f 250gr. sw at range 100yds. shot great swabbed between shots never a problem this year moved up to a pro hunter same load everything go to swab between shots crud ring is so bad trouble pulling patch back out sometimes have to pull breach plug clled t/c they said 777 will give crud ring use pyrodex dont understand never aproblem with crud ring pro hunter ring is terrible can anyone help me with this problem vvvvery frustrated

I shoot 90 grains of Triple7 FF in my 700ML (stainless) with either 250 or 300 grain bullets, and have never experienced the crud ring. I use Winchester 209 primers for Shotshells. I don't swab between shots, and get good groups.

oneshot52

I hate to say this and I have no scientific information why.... I shoot T7 also any where from 90 grains in a GM-LRH barrel 110 grains in the Rem 700ml, and the Omega - to 120 grains in the Knight DE - I see or feel very little evidence of a crud ring... certainly nothing to concern about. I can load 3-4 shots before it becomes a block that you might notice. but a damp swab cuts right through it.

I have know good reason why...

And if I told what I thought might cause ya-all would scoff at it...

One other thing, the more rounds I shoot from the barrel the less build up per shot there is - again not sure why...

Sabotloader,

I get the exact same results that you report in my 2 TC Encores and I think I know where you were heading.

Curtis

cruddy

sabotloader, let the cat out or give some direction. I am very happy w/ loose T7 perforemance. I am making the switch to BH209 AS A RESULT OF THE CLEANing, and lack of crud ring reports. I have never been able to shoot 2-3 consecutive shots and that is using the 250 SW w/ easy glide sabot on the most part w/out swabbing and pushing fairly hard on a range rod. I use windex/alcohol mixture soaked then 1 dry patch. This has eased clean up at the end of a range session. I also use the T7 primers.
When starting a session I swab w/ windex/alcohol, then dry swab to remove oil (rem oil) the barrel and snap a cap or 2 to foul the barrel.
What are your thoughts, nothing is crazy in this sport.

When shooting Triple Se7en loose I've never had a muzzleloader NOT produce a crud ring when shooting sabots. Now some have a worse crud ring than others. And of course the more powder you use, the more crud ring present. That's using ANY primer, any method of cleaning, any method of storage, etc. Triple Se7en pellets show LESS crud ring problem but it's still there but to a lesser degree.

thanks guys for your help started using t17 cleaner cleaning is alot easier NOW getting this pro hunter to group 777 3f 90 95 100grs. 250sw cci win 777 federal primers 5 shot groups are terrible 5 to 7in. at 100yds anyone else having problems with their pro hunters??????

big6x6 said:
When shooting Triple Se7en loose I've never had a muzzleloader NOT produce a crud ring when shooting sabots. Now some have a worse crud ring than others. And of course the more powder you use, the more crud ring present. That's using ANY primer, any method of cleaning, any method of storage, etc. Triple Se7en pellets show LESS crud ring problem but it's still there but to a lesser degree.

Could the reaon I've never experienced the "crud ring" be that I'm shooting a 54 caliber, as opposed to a 50? I shoot 250 and 300 grain sabots and 90 grains of loose Triple7. I also am shooting a stainless steel barrel - could that have an effect?

Stainless is not the cure as my stainless Omega is probably the worst crud ring former ever. I finally gave up on T7. Just glad that BH209 finally got here. I think it may save my Omega from the back of the gun safe storage area.

DPH said:
big6x6 said:

Could the reaon I've never experienced the "crud ring" be that I'm shooting a 54 caliber, as opposed to a 50? I shoot 250 and 300 grain sabots and 90 grains of loose Triple7. I also am shooting a stainless steel barrel - could that have an effect?

Never had the crud ring in an X-150 i had, never had it in the sidelocks, Only rifle i ever felt the slightest sign of a crud ring was a deer creek sidelock that had a rough bore Douglas barrel.

Never had a crud problem with pyrodex until i got the omega, but it could be the lube on the bullets also causing the problem.

crud ring

I find that less than 90 grains leaves a lot less crud than 100 and over. Full bore projectiles also seem to leave the barrel cleaner than sabots. Maybe the lube cleaning things up?

Back