Crud Ring -- Opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question on this: How much different will aim/impact be if I use T7 ffg for practice and BH209 for hunting? BTW - sort of same question for conical bullets...if I use a 420 grain flat tip conical for pratice and a 440 grain rounded tip for hunting...how much "off" would you expect the heavier though more aerodynamic bullet to be than the slightly lighter, flat tip bullet?
What will affect your POI using the SAME BULLET, will be any significant difference in velocity between the charges used. Add a difference in bullet weight and you compound the problem.
Shoot it to know.

Some of us are talking about the ability to get a projectile down the barrel and shoot while others are talking about accurate shooting. Im talking accurate shooting.

And all it takes is a few shots on the range to know how two powders differ in the point of impact. A simple adjustment and confirmation to the scope and the switch is made from practice powder to hunting powder.

I have tested my wolf by shooting a second follow up shot without swabbing as in a hunting scenario. There’s not enough difference at 100 yards to not be able to accurately finish an animal off with my gun. Knowing all guns are different that might not be the case with yours. If you shoot the first shot on a squeaky clean barrel the crud ring is not that bad and you can push through it

I would rather have my backup shot be 2 inches off with t7 than my gun go fizzle pop with blackhorn on an animal I have been hunting all year maybe

OR get a White rifle! #11 caps don't give any crud ring in them! Triple 7 2Fg or 3Fg...(Pyrodex will never be used in mine) I can shoot all day no swabbing! Your welcome!!
What is it about a white rifle, That you don't have to do any swabbing??

About a year ago did some experimenting using the 777 ff powder.

Before loading a clean rifle, ran a T17seasoning patch down the bore. Sized the bullet 0.0002" smaller than normal. Used a poly wad. Made the powder charge 115 grain. Used large pistol primers in the PR adapters.

Shot nine times.

Never swabbed/scrubbed between shots. Normally am not able to shoot multiple shots without swabbing between shots. Could feel the 'crud' ring, but was able to load 45 caliber bullet in the 45 caliber rifle with ease.

Sizing the bullet smaller; and using pistol primers seems to maybe, maybe work????

No swabbing -- 9 shots.

Gave up the no swab idea, because one 'knows' the crud ring is there; can feel it; doesn't seem like a good idea?

For hunting i never worried about the crud ring, if you need more then 2 shots your out of luck anyway. Bench shooting just run a damp spit or windex patch down bore every shot followed by dry patch or just wait for warmth of barrel to dry bore.
As toytruck said Whites dont get crud rings with 777 and #11 caps, have shot close to 20 times w/o swabbing using this combo.

Looks like I might need to find me a White... Are their 45 calibers very good and accurate?

Well, I guess I have learned to manage the 'crud ring' after all of these years. I shoot a lot of T7 just because of the price of BH.

I am basically shooting several different Knight ML's. Shooting T7 with percussion caps is not a problem at all, shooting T7, at the range or while hunting. Really no need for patching. With 209 primers, that can lead to a problem but really nothing insurmountable. I use the coolest primer I can, but still I am shooting W209's primers 99% of the time. I have in the past used ML 209 primers and really did not see/feel a significant difference.

The most significant difference for me is what I put/use in the bore. I have found that using non petroleum oils and products to be a really big factor. Yes, the 'crud ring' will form but not nearly to the extent as it might were there petroleum products in the barrel.

Shooting T7 at the range or for recreation I do patch after each shot. Not only am I allowing some cooling time for the barrel but it does slow me down also. While hunting and if it were needed I can shoot 4-5 shots before I feel the need to run a slightly damp Windex patch to clear the 'crud ring'.

Because I am using most 275+ grain projectiles, in my 50 cal. rifles, I really do not see a significant change in muzzle velocity with either powder.

Looks like I might need to find me a White... Are their 45 calibers very good and accurate?
Very accurate!! The 8 point in my avatar was shot with my .451 Super 91. Head shot ( not my favorite target, all he gave me) he dropped DRT.
One of the DWB owner's was bored one day hunting, not seeing any deer, he killed a limit of squirrel's. Head shot's as I remember...

First 3 shots of a 15 shot string, no swabbing, firm loading pressure on 70 grains of Triple 7, 3F.

Followed by the last three shots of the string, same load.

White Super 91, .451, all groups shot at 100 yards. Bullets of first two groups were Ed Mehlig's 347 "I" and 465 grainer.

Last image is No excuses .40 caliber 250 grains in the blue crush rib sabot.

Answer your question? ;) ;)

1644507080661.png

1644507127016.png

1644507375405.png

Good shooting! Polishing my bore greatly reduced the crud ring on my encore.

Latest posts

Back