Crud Ring -- Opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Crud ring cannot be eliminated. Try muzzle loader primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try small pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try large pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try 25 acp system -- won't eliminate crud ring.

Sure, one can reload once through the crud ring, so what. Crud ring is there, and it affects the shot.

Develop a technique of swabbing between shots that is easy, and relaxing.

OR....... Pay the price for Blackhorn; after using your life searching for it...............😉

Last edited:
I have some dyna tek bore coating I found in way back of gun safe that I forgot I bought a few years ago. As I primarily shoot T7 I was going to try that to see if the crud ring is less

That is my plan, too. Practice with whats available, but hunt with blackhorn. I do think that ignition type can affect how bad the crud ring is tho, even if it doesn't eliminate it, it can be decreased. Possibly other things can help decrease it further.

To make shots consistent, one must swab between shots of 7772f.
My personal opinion (and thats all it is) is that swabbing must be done between all shots with any powder with exception to Blackhorn. For accurate shooting everything needs to be the same, the same, the same. How can a bore shot 2-3 times be the same as a bore shot 5-6 times. As stated this is my $.02 and thats the way I have and always will do black powder and subs.

For the same reason you test out so many different bullets. Because people want to know. It comes up in threads so often. New and older members ask about it often enough. Ive got some different ignition systems, lubes, guns, and bullets. May as well get some data while im burning some powder.

My personal opinion (and thats all it is) is that swabbing must be done between all shots with any powder with exception to Blackhorn.

Tomorrow i'll fire up to 20 shots using Black MZ without swabbing. This is typical of all the APP powders.

The 777 crud ring can be lessened by loading the first round into a squeaky clean barrel.

Two of my inline rifles use #11 caps. One likes 70 grains of 777 and patched round balls. With that rifle i can get at least three shots before loading becomes difficult. When firing patched round balls using 777 one must be careful with the choice of patch lube: i use the original Go Jo hand cleaner.

The larger the charge the more troublesome the crud ring.

Thats what I do.
Practice all year with 777 2f; swab between shots.

Question on this: How much different will aim/impact be if I use T7 ffg for practice and BH209 for hunting? BTW - sort of same question for conical bullets...if I use a 420 grain flat tip conical for pratice and a 440 grain rounded tip for hunting...how much "off" would you expect the heavier though more aerodynamic bullet to be than the slightly lighter, flat tip bullet?

Crud ring cannot be eliminated. Try muzzle loader primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try small pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try large pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try 25 acp system -- won't eliminate crud ring.

Sure, one can reload once through the crud ring, so what. Crud ring is there, and it affects the shot.

Develop a technique of swabbing between shots that is easy, and relaxing.

OR....... Pay the price for Blackhorn; after using your life searching for it...............😉

Or use Pyrodex or real black powder.

Question on this: How much different will aim/impact be if I use T7 ffg for practice and BH209 for hunting? BTW - sort of same question for conical bullets...if I use a 420 grain flat tip conical for pratice and a 440 grain rounded tip for hunting...how much "off" would you expect the heavier though more aerodynamic bullet to be than the slightly lighter, flat tip bullet?
You will know only after trying it out with you shooting whatever you shoot all the combos mentioned in your gun ,they all differ and your the one who requires confidence like (me)! Works in what ever venue your asking most every time (maybe) Ed

Ive got one and I'll try #11 and musket caps in it. Its got the breech plug with replaceable nipples so i can try both.
I haven't tried musket caps just #11. I have the same BP with tresco #11 nipple on it. I need to see if the RWS caps will work. So far I'm using the Remington Mag #11 caps with great success. The longer spring goes back in also. Glad I found out the shorter spring wasn't reliable....

Latest posts

Back