Crud Ring -- Opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a deer drive with a MZ you shoot a deer. As you are preparing your gun shootable deer are moving past you. The walkie clicks and someone says there are more deer headed your way. Easy and relaxing???? I want the thing loaded and ready. lol

But you are right. shooting should be fun, easy, and relaxing by all your definitions. If not you may want to evaluate.

It does seem the pistol primers help make it possible to reload without scrubbing required. It also seems sizing the bullets kinda loose, also is part of the answer to reloading without scrubbing. This also seems true for shooting sabot that seem kinda loose.

Success reloading without swabbing has been true for 92 shots, judging by how many primers are left in the nearly empty primer box.

On a deer drive with a MZ you shoot a deer. As you are preparing your gun shootable deer are moving past you. The walkie clicks and someone says there are more deer headed your way. Easy and relaxing???? I want the thing loaded and ready. lol

But you are right. shooting should be fun, easy, and relaxing by all your definitions. If not you may want to evaluate.

Absolutely agree 100%. What I do not understand is why some people balk at using 209 powder, when their guns allow it, when hunting. No swabbing, no hard loading and as weatherproof as powder can get, it provides very consistent results that the field demands. Since T7 and 209 shoot nearly identical, use the T7 on the bench where things can be more relaxed and enjoyable and less expensive to do so. In the field where seconds can count however, I do not want surprises like a jammed bullet because I used T7 and didn't wipe out the crap left from shooting it.

Since switching to BH209 for hunting I have had one incident and that one was on me, pure and simple. The powder was not to blame. Laziness was. Since switching to 209 during the hunting season I have logged 119 days afield. I have taken 27 deer during those 119 days. Of the days where deer were taken, 22 were during rain or wet snow or were very, very cold. Not one blip during those 22 days. The one incident happened on a bluebird day. In the forty or so years prior to switching to BH209 powder I used T7 and had literally a hundred or more incidents that cost me deer due to the crap I had to deal with in the field.

I could care less what others use in the field but for me BH209 has proven itself consistently and that's what making my smoke while I hunt. Yes, BH209 has a ridiculous price tag to it right now but the old adage of "you pay for what you get" rings true and that for me is called reliability clean hunting ethic. As I first mentioned, the two powders shoot nearly identical AT THE CLUB, but it's in the field where the true difference becomes apparent, and I owe it to myself and my quarry to use the best that I have at my ready.

I asked the same question -- no answers as yet

I can suggest to you that In recent history new Knight rifles came with a Bore Tech product installed in them. I personally have used the product in a couple of older Knight Original DISC rifles. So my answer would be that the product has little to know effect on the formation of the 'crud ring'. I can and would suggest the product offers more bore protection and ease of cleaning.

Crud ring cannot be eliminated. Try muzzle loader primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try small pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try large pistol primers -- won't eliminate crud ring. Try 25 acp system -- won't eliminate crud ring.

Sure, one can reload once through the crud ring, so what. Crud ring is there, and it affects the shot.

Develop a technique of swabbing between shots that is easy, and relaxing.

OR....... Pay the price for Blackhorn; after using your life searching for it...............😉
I agree!!!

Absolutely agree 100%. What I do not understand is why some people balk at using 209 powder, when their guns allow it, when hunting. No swabbing, no hard loading and as weatherproof as powder can get, it provides very consistent results that the field demands. Since T7 and 209 shoot nearly identical, use the T7 on the bench where things can be more relaxed and enjoyable and less expensive to do so. In the field where seconds can count however, I do not want surprises like a jammed bullet because I used T7 and didn't wipe out the crap left from shooting it.

Since switching to BH209 for hunting I have had one incident and that one was on me, pure and simple. The powder was not to blame. Laziness was. Since switching to 209 during the hunting season I have logged 119 days afield. I have taken 27 deer during those 119 days. Of the days where deer were taken, 22 were during rain or wet snow or were very, very cold. Not one blip during those 22 days. The one incident happened on a bluebird day. In the forty or so years prior to switching to BH209 powder I used T7 and had literally a hundred or more incidents that cost me deer due to the crap I had to deal with in the field.

I could care less what others use in the field but for me BH209 has proven itself consistently and that's what making my smoke while I hunt. Yes, BH209 has a ridiculous price tag to it right now but the old adage of "you pay for what you get" rings true and that for me is called reliability clean hunting ethic. As I first mentioned, the two powders shoot nearly identical AT THE CLUB, but it's in the field where the true difference becomes apparent, and I owe it to myself and my quarry to use the best that I have at my ready.
I’m glad you have good luck with 209. But I haven’t. It isn’t anything I’ve done wrong either. I have the right breechplug and a clean rifle And loaded it right with a tight seal on a dry barrel. I haven’t even gone through a whole bottle and I’ve had 4 misfires. This is absolutely unacceptable to me to hunt with. Would you keep hunting with a box of center fire shells that you had four misfires out of that box?
T7 works fine for me and NEVER MISFIRES. I read about others complaining about misfires and fellow members telling them their breechplug is dirty too small hole etc. In my opinion, blackhorn is way too finicky to hunt with.

I don’t have to do anything but load a rifle straight out of the factory box with t7 and it goes Bang every time. No special breechplug or cleaning tactics of the breechplug. Just load and shoot. 209 is fine for shooting cardboard for me but when it comes to shooting an animal I’ve been possibly hunting all season I’m gonna stick with a powder that I know is gonna deliver every time for me.

I can suggest to you that In recent history new Knight rifles came with a Bore Tech product installed in them. I personally have used the product in a couple of older Knight Original DISC rifles. So my answer would be that the product has little to know effect on the formation of the 'crud ring'. I can and would suggest the product offers more bore protection and ease of cleaning.
Now thats good to hear

With all the years I hunted with a Muzzle Loader never knew anything about a crud ring I just made it a habit to clean between each shot When I ran a patch down the barrel to the bottom it would stick If it wouldn't move I had to get help To avoid this I put the patch half way in back and forth a few times then down to the bottom Stupid Question Is a crud ring permanent But will it be completely removed with full cleaning This is the first sight where the crud ring was ever brought up

My 2¢............. Just a single .... slightly damp .... patch with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine, in and out and both sides of a patch if you prefer, eliminates any crud. I've shot enough HEAVY charges of T7 and Butch's is the only thing I'd use shooting T7. When you're shooting 180grs of T7 in an Ultimate, you'll get crud ;)

BH209...... I couldn't count the numbers of 5# containers and jugs I've fired of BH since it first became available. Thousands and thousands of rounds. With the correct rifle, breech plug, magnum primers, cleaning processes and loading processes, you won't have a misfire. Never had one.

I use the Winchester 209 may try clean bore if they are out there. I don’t mind cleaning between shots maybe more accurate?

With all the years I hunted with a Muzzle Loader never knew anything about a crud ring I just made it a habit to clean between each shot When I ran a patch down the barrel to the bottom it would stick If it wouldn't move I had to get help To avoid this I put the patch half way in back and forth a few times then down to the bottom Stupid Question Is a crud ring permanent But will it be completely removed with full cleaning This is the first sight where the crud ring was ever brought up
It's not permanent. I do have limited experience with T7, only using it in my Optima pistol.
I pulled the breech plug once, just to see and there is was.
I reinstalled the plug, swabbed the barrel with a damp patch, (windex)
Pulled the plug again and the crud ring was gone.

The Blue Windex patches work perfect for swabbing the barrel after a shot of T7 with a 209 primer. In fact as long as the patch maintains some moisture you can use it over and over after several shots.

WinPatch.jpg

Ther is another problem that can be associated with T7 but again depending on how you treat your breech plug T7 cam seize the plug after a number shots. I have tried a lot of different treatments but have settled on this one.

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

There is no denying the fact that BH is the easy way out.

When you fire a primer will it burn off tape over the mouth

Yes! I shoot 2 or 3 primers or caps - essentially to clean out the BP and the excess tape. The tape over the nose is an important step in my procedure. The tape over the nose of the BP helps insure a seal at the location. When you turn the BP in turn it snug! Tight enough to squeeze the tape but not so tight you cut or tear the tape over the nose of the BP. Hope that makes some sense

The Blue Windex patches work perfect for swabbing the barrel after a shot of T7 with a 209 primer. In fact as long as the patch maintains some moisture you can use it over and over after several shots.

WinPatch.jpg

Ther is another problem that can be associated with T7 but again depending on how you treat your breech plug T7 cam seize the plug after a number shots. I have tried a lot of different treatments but have settled on this one.

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

There is no denying the fact that BH is the easy way out.
I do use windex which is friendly for cleaning no hazard like some options.
I tried the tape wrapping but went to thread sealing compound and it works great as I have no blowby or issues removing the plug and cleaning.
As for BH209 it's great! Since I went to BH209 all the issues I had before including the crud ring are gone. No bore swabbing in between shots needed. More important is my accuracy is very acceptable. I did something different this past season. From October to last week I didn't clean my CVA Stainless. It was easy to clean with no harm to any portion. I had read that other's did it so I tried it.

Back