Custom Rifles, Which one to Buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Mol

Reaction score
Looking to invest in a custom rifle and a few of the manufactureres that come to mind are McWorter, Ed Brown and HS Precision. I know there are many, but which one would you buy? My price range is about $5K w/o the scope. Caliber is the next thing to decide.

Thanks
John

J.Mol,

Let me first state that, at least in mind, there are two distinctly differnt types of customs guns. The first is a truly custom piece made to your own specifications and usually featuring an exhibition type piece of wood. The second of course is the type of gun produced by the names you mentioned above which in all honesty is much to being a hybrid between a factory gun and a custom gun.

While the second type of gun mentioned above is likely to as accurate, if not more accurate, than the first type mentioned the economics of buying each type of gun is worlds apart.

That all being said, presuming you are interested in the second type of custom gun, I definitely would not recommend buying any of these types of guns new. (Unless you really don't care about the value of the investment.)

I can tell you from experience that you can purchase a slightly used gun of the quality you are discussing for 2000-2500 with little problem. (I'll be glad to make some suggestions if this if something you are interested.)

Now...if you really want to spend that $5000 and have an honest custom gun, I would forget about the names you mentioned above start looking at one of the numerous custom builders that are using modern custom Mauser actions. Not only will these guns hold their resale value far better than any of "off the shelf" custom guns, in a few years they will begin to increase in value at a rapid pace as the cost of truly custom workmanship continues to go through the roof. (Once again if you are interested in hearing more about these builders I will be more than happy to share what I can.)

While I don't mean to answer your question with more questions, I don't want to get off on a tangent that may not be what you are interested in learning about. So, if you can just give a little better idea of which direction appeals to you more let us know. Of course, if you want to hear more about both areas just say so!!

JC

Great reply JC! It's really all about ones wants/desires/expectations.

I would forget about the names you mentioned above start looking at one of the numerous custom builders that are using modern custom Mauser actions.

Or perhaps a Dakota 76...

custom rifles

J MOL, I agree with JC as far as the makers you have mentioned but you have given us no input as to what this rifle's intended purpose is going to be. This would greatly influence my choice of action, barrel contour and length, stock composition(wood vs. synthetic), let alone the caliber and cartridge.

big6x6 said:
Or perhaps a Dakota 76...

Absolutely true Chuck!!

Dakota is one of the only builders that I know of that can build everything from a lower level "off the shelf" custom, all the way up to a blow your mind fully engraved personalized custom.

As a matter of fact, proving my point above about the right type of gun, second hand if possible, just 4 days ago I saw what was perhaps the one of the most beautiful sensible Dakota's I have ever seen sell. All for an incredible deal. The gun was unfired and factory new. While the gun sold for $6000. It would cost over $10,500 for Dakota to replicate the work today!!

(Once again, it all depend on what one is looking for, while this gun is likely an excellent investment, it would obviously provide little to no utility as a working mans gun.)

JC

Here is what you can get for 6k.... :shock:

pix1456898828.jpg

pix1456901437.jpg

pix1456901171.jpg

pix1456906203.jpg

pix1456895031.jpg

pix1456906015.jpg

pix1456906328.jpg

JC, I guess I'm looking for semi-custom, more of a hybrid between factory and custom as you mentioned. I don't want a fancy wall hanger piece of wood that I would hesitate to actually hunt with. Thats the other thing, I plan to use this rifle out west for elk, Canada for bear and moose and Africa for similar sized game.

I would actually like a good quality fiberglass stock with a some weight to it, a stainless barrel and a silky smoothe action. This whole semi-custom/custom venture is new to me but I'm very familiar with factory rifles.

I started looking at Brownings, then Sakos, followed by Kimbers and eventually Coopers. Now, who knows! If I can save some money buying used then all the better.

Thanks for your usual very informative response.

For reference on the other end of the scale...

Here is what I would consider to be a prime example of another excellent deal from an investment perspective, but also from a utilitarian perspective...

All of the metal work, as well as the barreling work, on this rifle was performed by what many would consider to be one this countries top riflesmiths, Frank Wells. The action of course is also a timeless classic, the pre-64 Winchester 70. With the exception of the laminate stock, this is about as perfect of a custom gun as anyone could ever need...And in an extremely versatile caliber. In fact if this same gun were also stocked in a top piece of custom wood by Frank Wells there is no way you could touch this gun for under $5000 today. However, because it does not have the collectible beauty of the custom wood, you can pick this gun up for a fraction of what it cost to have a riflesmith of Franks caliber replicate the work today.

Asking price...1900$

JC

Pre-64 Winchester .270 Custom rifle made by Frank Wells, top US riflemaker. Fully honed action, 23" Douglas premium match barrel, matte finish, laminated wood stock with ebony forend tip. Only fired five times at target range to verify accuracy: all 5 shots under 1 moa.
pop_wm_815526.jpg

pop_wm_815527.jpg

J.Mol said:
I plan to use this rifle out west for elk, Canada for bear and moose and Africa for similar sized game.

I would actually like a good quality fiberglass stock with a some weight to it, a stainless barrel and a silky smoothe action. This whole semi-custom/custom venture is new to me but I'm very familiar with factory rifles.

JMol,

That helps alot...

In fact I can already tell you, if I were looking for a gun that could be made to fit the bill you described above, the shop that would be one of my top considerations...

The custom shop...
Waffenfabrik Hein
http://www.rifleactions.com/index.htm

The gun....
The Palouse Trophy Series Rifle

The action...
N-Series Action

Calibers available...
.17 Rem to .505 Gibbs

The Palouse Trophy Series Rifle is designed and built with the hunting and shooting enthusiast in mind. At the heart of this rifle is our N-Series Action. Available in standard caliber from .17 Rem to .505 Gibbs, the combination or our N-Series Action, a hand bedded lightweight fiberglass stock and a match grade barrel is guaranteed to exceed all of your expectations.

Base Price: $2900.00

Standard Features:
- Custom Built Wff Hein N-Series Round Bridge Action
- Lightweight Hand Bedded Fiberglass Stock Color Black
- Custom Length of Pull (under 14.5")
- Custom Barrel Length (Under 28")
- Conventional or Straight Bolt Handle
- Match Grade Quality Barrel
- Fitted Scope Bases
- Bench Rest Quality Chambering
- Left or Right Handed
- Custom Serial Number

Hope this generates some good ideas!!

JC

nseries.jpg

(Shown with optional square bridge)
classic.jpg

Thanks JC, looks like a high quality firearm, definitely fits the bill. Typically, how long does it take for a rifle like this to be made?

If you decide to go the semi-custom route buy a Cooper rifle. Nothing will outshoot it for the price.

If you want to spend $5,000 you could buy 2 and scope them and have enough left over for a small hunting trip.

Jc is right, a Mauseraction or a pre-64 M-70 will is the only choice for a pure custom rifle.

Chocdog

For the money you are willing to spend and for the uses you describe...there ain't NO doubt what I'D buy:

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/custom_rifles.html

Simply the best hunting rifle one can buy! If I were REALLY into new rifles(been there, done that) this is the one I'd get. YOU'LL THANK ME! :wink:

IF you want a great hunting rifle, look at Christensen Arms Custom. I have one and it is outstanding. I am taking it on a Shiras moose and mule deer hunt in Utah this Sept. They are great rifles.

big6x6 said:
For the money you are willing to spend and for the uses you describe...there ain't NO doubt what I'D buy:

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/custom_rifles.html

Simply the best hunting rifle one can buy! If I were REALLY into new rifles(been there, done that) this is the one I'd get. YOU'LL THANK ME! :wink:

Once again, great advice Chuck...

Mark is another one of my highest recomendations as a builder. As a matter of fact, proving that fact, one of my guns I was working on this weekend is a Bansner .300 Winchester Mag stocked in an HS precision pro series stock!! While based on an older Rem 700 action , (as opposed to his newer newest custom action), all metal work, trueing, chambering, barreling, and metal coatings are all Marks work.... :shock:

JC

134_3457.jpg

Gorgeous rifles from Bansners, nice work. Located in PA, close to home, another big plus! Looks like a winner to me. I'l have to give him serious thought.

Thanks
Chuck and JC

The Coopers are nice but they don't seem to be available in common cartridge's, like a 300 win mag or even Weatherby, which I currently do own, the Weatherby that is. Not that I'm interested in the mentioned caliber's, I just brought up a point.

J.Mol said:
Gorgeous rifles from Bansners, nice work. Located in PA, close to home, another big plus! Looks like a winner to me. I'l have to give him serious thought.

Thanks
Chuck and JC

Excellent J.Mol,

Now that you are getting some great ideas on what to buy. The next step, which in mind is equally if not more important, is how to buy it.

Having a few custom guns myself, and having spent countless hours discussing purchasing such guns with some very well healed collectors, I can unequivicaly state that a first time custom gun buyer should avoid purchasing a brand new fully custom gun at all cost.

Especially in the current market place there are just too many exceptional values on slightly used custom guns to justify buying a brand new custom gun unless the buyer is extremely rich, or has an absolutely perfect understanding of what they need in gun today, and will need in the future.

Now, this does not mean that you need to resign yourself to buying a used gun that does not meet your desires. It only means that a wise buyer looks for a used custom gun that can ideally be used as is, or if neccesary customized further to meet their exact needs.

Once again for reference....and using Mark Bansner's customs as a starting point....here is just one route I would very strongly condsider pursueing....

Below is beautiful custom Bansner in a very practical caliber...in near 100% condition at a very reasonble....I would take a strong look at this gun, then should you decide there is something more you want, consider if this gun could be used as a platform for further work, (having Mark rebarel the action to another caliber for example...)

Hopefully these ideas continue to prove usefull...

JC

Mark Bansner - Bansner Ultimate Rifles, Adamstown, Pennsylvania custom Winchester Model 70. Classic Model 70 control round feed. 7mm Remington Magnum caliber. Serial number G54937. Black Kevlar stock with textured surface. The metal is stainless matte gray finish. Barrel is 24-inch Lijia, free floated, and excellent bore. Target crown. Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounting. Overall 95% condition. A fine custom rifle weighing 6 1/2 lbs.
(Current asking price is $2,395, however, based on the fact his gun has been availble for a few months, I suspect that the seller would accept a lower bid. JC)

pop_wm_797654.jpg

pop_wm_797658.jpg

pop_wm_797655.jpg

pop_wm_797657.jpg

I just thought I would throw this in. I have a Winchester 70 custom 300 WBY with dies and 40 once fired brass. THe action has been reworked, has a 26 in Hart #4 BBL with a removable Muzzlebreak. Trigger set at a very crisp 3 LBS McMillan supergrade stock in light grey black and OD green, Talley rings and bases this gun was built by Clay spencer and is very accurate, that I am looking to sell. I would let it go for 1400.00 or 2000.00 with your choice of a Zeiss conquest 3.5x10x50 or 4.5x14x50. Thanks Joel

JC, you are absolutely correct about buying used in this market. I'm in no rush because I find it enjoyable just looking and learning about what a semi-custom/custom firearm is all about. I usually like to purchase factory guns new, but then again, these guns are usually priced below 1k. In the factory gun market, buying new eliminates all the headaches of what one can expect from purchasing online from places like gunbroker and the like.

I may just pay a visit to Mark at Bansner to get a feel for what these custom guns are like, never handled one before.

Thanks,
John

Nice setup Laker. I actually have a 300 Weatherby mag. Vanguard which I really love.

Back