Custom Rifles, Which one to Buy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custom rifle

J. Mol, if you live close to Adamstown, PA where Mark Bansner is located, look him up. Mark has been making rifles for me the past 15 years. I've had the pleasure to hunt with Mark in Canada and you will find no better person or gunsmith. Immaculate fit to finish with unbelievable accuracy. One thing I can say about Mark's rifles, out of a cold barrel, right on the money everytime. His rifles are the only ones I take when I go on a hunt out West or Canada. I have a variety of his rifles--7mm Dakota --7.82 Warbird--330 Dakota--10.57 Maverick--custom slug gun 12 gauge-- all shoot better than I can hold them on any given day.

I may just pay a visit to Mark at Bansner to get a feel for what these custom guns are like, never handled one before.

Thanks,
John

DON'T do it....unless you take your checkbook! :D Most everything else suffers by comparison...

JMol,

I feel compelled to go back to my recommendation on the Hein action and temporarily retract my advice at this time...

While I have followed the company over the years I have always done so at a great arms length as I never personally had any plans of buying a new custom gun any time in the near future. In any case, after we started discussing them last night I remembered that I had heard rumors a few months ago about some buyers that had ordered the guns months ago not receiving the guns on time. So I just went back to see if I could find anything new on the matter. Sure enough it sounds as if the issues have gone far beyond what would be considered normal, acceptable, business practices...So unfortunately, until the company can prove that it has completely turned itself around, which may take some time based on its issues, it looks like yet another fine product may have failed as an otherwise competent gunsmith was unable to bridge the gap to becoming a competent buinessman....However, only time will tell. Hopefully for all involved the company comes out of their current predicament stronger for it!

JC

Just finished watching the video, its amazing how much detail and precision is involved in making a custom rifle. He does nice work and that example probably doesn't even do justice to what he can do with custom engraving with metal and wood.

Impressive!

JMol,

Glad you liked the video.

I have also Pm'ed you a link to another thread that I think you should read.

JEFF

Doohan said:
great video!

stop flashing that pic of the 300 WM!! 8)

Sorry Doohan,

I would have had a lot more to say about it after I returned from the range last week if I hadn't forgotten to finish mounting the scope... :d'oh!:

I recently remounted a bunch of scopes. When I was done I reset all of the mounts and realigned all the reticles square to the actions. Apparently, while I finished mounting all of the rest guns I forgot to finish tightening/locktiting down the scope on that gun...

Just one more thing to try to get done this weekend I guess...

JC

+1 on the video. I really enjoyed that one. Very informative! 8)

ShawnT

big6x6 said:
I may just pay a visit to Mark at Bansner to get a feel for what these custom guns are like, never handled one before.

Thanks,
John

DON'T do it....unless you take your checkbook! :D Most everything else suffers by comparison...

I think your right about the checkbook! When I go to visit Mark in the next couple of weeks, I think I'll take my wife and let her hold my checkbook, but then again, I just bought my wife a new BMW so I think she owe's me a present. LOL

Thanks for the lead JC, sounds like a great rifle at a good price. Haven't checked in for awhile but I actually had a chance to handle and shoot a Bansner. I was at the range last month and noticed some guy shooting a custom looking gun with a twisted flutted bolt and a beautiful synthetic stock. I thought it was a factory Remington Alaskan TI or maybe one of the many semi-customs, but no, it was a Bansner.

After speaking with this guy about his gun, it turns out that he owns several Bansners among other customs and he offered to let me take a few shots. Well, let me tell you, this is the most incredible rifle I've ever had the pleasure to shoot! Smooth, accurate, solid, well balanced, good looking, what else can I say?? Loved it!! I guess it's my destiny to own one. It was a 7mm too, exactly the caliber I want.

Thats one sweet looking Ed Brown. I don't understand, why do these high end customs have such poor resale? I've sold a few Brownings and Weatherby's in the past, all with good glass, at prices I paid for new or higher. Definitely not buying a new custom.

Thanks
John

J.Mol said:
Well, let me tell you, this is the most incredible rifle I've ever had the pleasure to shoot! Smooth, accurate, solid, well balanced, good looking, what else can I say?? Loved it!!

Thanks
John

J.Mol,

Your preachin to the choir on that one!! Between owning the .300 Win Mag Bansner barreled action and having the Hi-Tech Sheep Hunter stock on my Tar-Hunt I have a good thirst for how nice a fully custom Bansner can be...Not to mention, how excellent their customer service backing the guns is.

I have been playing phone tag with the Tom from the shop for the past week. While I keep missing him when he calls...he always leaves a messages and finds the time to keep checking back in. (It is also nice to know that almost evertime I miss him he is coming from, or going to, the range with Mark.)

Finally, as for the resale prices, that is purely a function of how great the divide is between the many hunters that are dirty rich and must own only brand new guns, and the number of wealthy hunters that can afford a custom gun but realize the value of purchasing one used.

JC

J.Mol said:
It was a 7mm too, exactly the caliber I want.
John

John,

Not certain which 7mm you are after. However, if it is a 7mm Rem Mag here is an exceptional deal on a nicely stocked Dakota 76...

JC

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =105504208

pix1022573062.jpg

custom rifle

I have for some time wanted a custom rifle. I opted to "customize" my Encore. Bought a MGM barrel, Schmidt & Bender, new thumbhole....and here is the results....

Picture306.jpg

300.jpg

That is a beautiful piece of lumber on that Dakota JC, sounds like a good deal. I'm looking more for a stainless-fiberglass custom much like the ones you pointed out earlier in this thread. As a matter of fact, this guy at my club is supposedly selling the Bansner I shot in 7mmRM, as of when, who knows? I try to keep in touch with him, so we'll see what develops. I feel very comfortable dealing this guy directly even though it may cost a few bucks more, perhaps not? He didn't quote me a price or anything but I remember him saying it was worth close to 3K. So who knows, maybe I'll be into a Bansner for ~$2500, its worth that much to me at least.

Nice set-up Cooper. Encore guns are very nice, especially their ML versions. I prefer bolt action centerfire's though. Thanks

Back