Cutthroat fly fishing trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
Got away for a week to the Northfork of the Clearwater River. Beautiful country, one of my favorite places. Been going since my teens. The water was still pretty cold, second time I’ve ever been there that I wanted waders in July. Here’s a few pics, including the biggest fish for the week.
232E1E42-277D-45D7-A700-E98F95C40A1D.jpeg5CCF2879-D978-47C1-9986-538663149506.jpeg0E74CCD5-B7CA-4073-A8D7-FAC1D259E5C7.jpeg509F46E7-F56C-4CAE-86ED-3C067CB26D22.jpeg

Love the pics... Looks like a great spot & nice looking fish!

Where is the Northfork of the Clearwater?

Nice SIZE trout and what a GREAT looking cold water stream! Plenty of room to fly cast. Thanks for posting. Those pics make me very jealous. ;)
I'm curious what flies you were using and whether the trout fed all day or only during a hatch?

Love the pics... Looks like a great spot & nice looking fish!

Where is the Northfork of the Clearwater?
The River is in Idaho, Clearwater County, about an hour drive from Pierce, Idaho. You can go through Headquarters and drop down Beaver Creek to "Aquarius", or take the French Mountain Road and drop down Orogrand Creek to the "Bungalow".

Nice SIZE trout and what a GREAT looking cold water stream! Plenty of room to fly cast. Thanks for posting. Those pics make me very jealous. ;)
I'm curious what flies you were using and whether the trout fed all day or only during a hatch?
It was a nice fish, you can only keep two fish and Cutthroat have to be over 14". I have a mark on my fly rod 14" from the butt, this fish was beyond it about 1.5", so around a 15.5" fish. The Northfork is world class fly fishing. Kelly Creek feeds into it at the bottom of Black Canyon and it is very well known for fly fishing as well. Kelly Creek is all catch and release.
Over the years I've found several patterns that will commonly get fish to hit, a mosquito is a solid choice most years. Renegades, a hopper, or a Royal Wolf are decent too. Figuring out the hatch and matching it is far and away the best fishing. When there is a hatch you can get a few fish to take a mosquito or other pattern, but you'll see a lot of fish come up like they are going to hit it but then turn away. When that happens a lot you need to figure out the hatch and match it, they just won't take other patterns hardly at all. Honestly my favorite method is to hop on the atv and take a spin up the road in the evening and then check out the bugs when I hit a swarm.
This year you could entice a strike all day, but evening was far and away the best. They can be very finicky and want something different from year to year. This year I really didn't observe any main hatch, but they were hitting a hopper pattern fairly well. Got a few on a mosquito and a renegade. Around day 3 I figured out that the bigger Cuts were feeding in some pretty swift water in the evening and I got into better sized fish after that. I'd been catching quite a few in the 9"-10" range, the fast water ones were a much better 12" average.

It is fun to figure out what they're wanting. I've had years where they wouldn't touch anything bigger than a size #20...not fun to try to follow a tiny fly like that in ripples! I have to just watch the area around my fly line and set the hook if I see a fish rise anywhere near lol. Let alone trying to get your tippet through the eyelet when tying on a new one. I've had other years where they are really spooky and you had to run a minimum of 10' of tippet, they wouldn't hit if your fly line was anywhere near the fly. Warm water years you can't get them to hit a dry fly and you have to run a sculpin type wet fly and strip it back to you. Many times we fish Kelly Creek, the Northfork in Black Canyon before it merges with Kelly Creek (much narrower before Kelly joins it), and then the main Northfork after Kelly Creek joins it. What works in one doesn't work in the other two, very funny to me. The last time I fished all three you had to run a stone fly in Black Canyon, a yellow Humpy on Kelly Creek, and a mosquito on the main to get decent fishing.

The River is in Idaho, Clearwater County, about an hour drive from Pierce, Idaho. You can go through Headquarters and drop down Beaver Creek to "Aquarius", or take the French Mountain Road and drop down Orogrand Creek to the "Bungalow".

I’m not familiar with the area. I’m actually going to Idaho for the first time ever today. I’m in Spokane WA visiting my daughter (husband stationed at Fairchild). Gonna go check out Coeur d’alane in Idaho today.

It was a nice fish, you can only keep two fish and Cutthroat have to be over 14". I have a mark on my fly rod 14" from the butt, this fish was beyond it about 1.5", so around a 15.5" fish. The Northfork is world class fly fishing. Kelly Creek feeds into it at the bottom of Black Canyon and it is very well known for fly fishing as well. Kelly Creek is all catch and release.
Over the years I've found several patterns that will commonly get fish to hit, a mosquito is a solid choice most years. Renegades, a hopper, or a Royal Wolf are decent too. Figuring out the hatch and matching it is far and away the best fishing. When there is a hatch you can get a few fish to take a mosquito or other pattern, but you'll see a lot of fish come up like they are going to hit it but then turn away. When that happens a lot you need to figure out the hatch and match it, they just won't take other patterns hardly at all. Honestly my favorite method is to hop on the atv and take a spin up the road in the evening and then check out the bugs when I hit a swarm.
This year you could entice a strike all day, but evening was far and away the best. They can be very finicky and want something different from year to year. This year I really didn't observe any main hatch, but they were hitting a hopper pattern fairly well. Got a few on a mosquito and a renegade. Around day 3 I figured out that the bigger Cuts were feeding in some pretty swift water in the evening and I got into better sized fish after that. I'd been catching quite a few in the 9"-10" range, the fast water ones were a much better 12" average.

It is fun to figure out what they're wanting. I've had years where they wouldn't touch anything bigger than a size #20...not fun to try to follow a tiny fly like that in ripples! I have to just watch the area around my fly line and set the hook if I see a fish rise anywhere near lol. Let alone trying to get your tippet through the eyelet when tying on a new one. I've had other years where they are really spooky and you had to run a minimum of 10' of tippet, they wouldn't hit if your fly line was anywhere near the fly. Warm water years you can't get them to hit a dry fly and you have to run a sculpin type wet fly and strip it back to you. Many times we fish Kelly Creek, the Northfork in Black Canyon before it merges with Kelly Creek (much narrower before Kelly joins it), and then the main Northfork after Kelly Creek joins it. What works in one doesn't work in the other two, very funny to me. The last time I fished all three you had to run a stone fly in Black Canyon, a yellow Humpy on Kelly Creek, and a mosquito on the main to get decent fishing.
Even though you can't keep them, the 9-10 inchers are fun to warm-up-on for the big ones.:)
I've fished streams with the characteristics you mentioned and usually carry a variety of terrestrial fly imitations and local nymphs. It always gets extra challenging when you must fish with hook sizes like #20's. I only go small if I haveta, and use turned-up hook eyes for flies smaller that 18's.

Very beautiful spot and gorgeous fish. How did you cook it? Must have tasted great. We we're on vacation last week and my wife and I had landlocked salmon two nights, smallmouth bass and white perch one night and smallmouth another night. Bass and perch were fried in peanut oil and salmon were stuffed and cooked on grill wrapped in aluminum foil.

Beautiful camping spot. Thanks for sharing.

I’m not familiar with the area. I’m actually going to Idaho for the first time ever today. I’m in Spokane WA visiting my daughter (husband stationed at Fairchild). Gonna go check out Coeur d’alane in Idaho today.
You'll be just north of me. Spokane is about 90 minutes away and Coeur d'alane is about 2 hours north.

Even though you can't keep them, the 9-10 inchers are fun to warm-up-on for the big ones.:)
I've fished streams with the characteristics you mentioned and usually carry a variety of terrestrial fly imitations and local nymphs. It always gets extra challenging when you must fish with hook sizes like #20's. I only go small if I haveta, and use turned-up hook eyes for flies smaller that 18's.
I have to carry readers in my fly vest and am a big fan of "para-anything" these days. That fuzzy white add-on on the top of the patterns sure helps me to follow it better.

Very beautiful spot and gorgeous fish. How did you cook it? Must have tasted great. We we're on vacation last week and my wife and I had landlocked salmon two nights, smallmouth bass and white perch one night and smallmouth another night. Bass and perch were fried in peanut oil and salmon were stuffed and cooked on grill wrapped in aluminum foil.

Beautiful camping spot. Thanks for sharing.
Your meals sound great, bet they were very tasty. I will eat salmon most any way it is prepared, but on the grill is my favorite.

I like to cook trout (and Brookies) with some sliced onion, some butter, season salt, a dash of lemon pepper, and a dash of garlic. Wrap it up in foil and cook it on a rock at the edge of our campfire. The onions are damn near as good as the fish.
I have a life long friend that will only eat fish if I've cooked it this way, he requests it every time we camp together. I made up some a few years ago, had 3 or 4 "keeper" cuts that I cooked up. My friend and his 15 year old son had just ate their dinner and came over to our camp to visit right as I was pulling the fish out of the fire. My dad and grandpa talked about how much fish his 15 year old son ate after just having his own dinner for a couple years lol.

Last edited:
Back