CVA 12ga Double Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Fedex just dropped it off! Looks like it was a kit gun and the guy that put it together did a good job with keeping the lines clean. He didnt finish the barrel, so I decided I am going to go all out and give this shotgun MY treatment! Already have the tang polished out nicely. When I was looking at it, I started to think about a dark walnut stain and polished locks, tang and barrel.

Originally thought of browning everything, but now I am just confused and not sure what I really need to do :lol!:

Will post pictures later. I am stripping it down and doing what ever polishing I can do to get ahead a little at a time.

Both my Double barrels are blued I have decided when I refinish my Navy Arms I will brown it . My pedersoli has a great blue so if i take care of it should never have to do anything with it. The Navy arms was kind of a bad deal when I bought it it was suppose to be in great shape no rust and also a Pedersoli . When it was delivered it was none of the above had quite a bit of surface rust nipples were wrong thread and just turned in the barrel and it was not a Pedersoli. I decided to just bite the bullet and not say anything at least the price was not too bad for what I got. It does shoot just fine now that I got it slicked up and correct nipples at least the threads were fine the others were so small they never messed them up .

Luckily the finish looks like stained shellac which should come off easy.

Im done working on it today, my shoulders and neck are stiffer than... well, lets just leave it at that. Polishing out a barrel is hard work.
100-0445.jpg

100-0446.jpg

Started with the center,
100-0448.jpg

320 grit then buffed with 00 steel wool. This is not finished, I still have to go through and do some detail polishing around the front sight, nipples, etc.
100-0452.jpg

Im not huge on the polished steel idea after doing this. If anything, I will either leave the hammers in polished steel or the lock plates.

Once the barrel is polished out, I'll move onto the stock and strip it down and get to sanding.

I've had one for years I gave $300 for. Killed a lot of Squirrels and Turkeys with it.

Both Barrels are Modified Chock.

oneshot

Nice find! :Red tup: 

My Dad has a Twin to it, He bought it through the Classifieds here 15 years or more ago, it was a Brand new Kit Gun. Dad’s is Browned, I am pretty sure his is Cylinder Bore? I know it doesn’t shoot a tight pattern at any Distance, Dad has filled SEVERAL Turkey Tags with it over the years. He uses Bees nest as Wadding to keep from getting the dreaded Doughnut hole in the Pattern.

If you have not tried it, Follow the Simple Recipe i posted on Patterning a Shotgun for Turkey from Caywood. I can tell you now that it Works!!! And it’s EXTREMELY easy to do. I followed his Recipe with my TC New Englander 12 Gauge Barrel, That thing shot a Pattern that would Hang with my Benelli, No joke!! My Dad couldn’t believe it? I Wouldn’t have hesitated to Shoot 50-60 Yards with that Setup!

I've done a lot of work, fine sanding especially and this evening I laid down a thick coat of birchwood casey genuine oil, rubbed it in and then wiped it off with a soft rag to remove as much as possible. It'll be a day or 2 before I go and gently buff it with 0000 steel wool and keep adding some coats to it.

This one had a lot of golden nuggets and honey color wood so I took the stain DARK and she just warms my heart now!

I'll be browning the barrels to really set it off. The locks are still in question.

I'll take some picture once this first coat dries.

Lookin forward to Seeing it Jon! I have always REALLY Liked the looks of Dark Wood, There are some that just STAND OUT! Tiger striping has always Fascinated me :Red tup:

This is one you did, I found this picture back when i was researching USA Stamped CVA Mountain Rifles. I would LOVE to own at least 1 Stock that looked Just like this one!! To me, this thing STANDS OUT, And looks Classy!!

sxk8wG1.jpg

yeah that was some crazy coloring on that maple. I think that was laurel mountain forge honey. Lots of thin coats of tru oil to top it off. I mostly use a matte finish these days.

FrontierGander said:
yeah that was some crazy coloring on that maple. I think that was laurel mountain forge honey.  Lots of thin coats of tru oil to top it off. I mostly use a matte finish these days.
I got a kick out of it when i ran across that picture, you were showing it to someone (Can’t Even Remember where i seen this now?) Anyway, the guy was asking about the CVA MRs, You posted this picture. The Guy said “Um.... mine don’t look like that” :lol!: It was something along those lines? I remember i got a kick out of it! I thought “Yea, i just bought a Brand new one, and it don’t look like that either!” LOL

Here we go. I just applied a coat of genuine oil and now its hanging in the sun to set up. Next time I will get much better pictures. Shes dark, but not as dark as it looks in the first pic. Camera is just adjusting for the bright back ground.
100-0475.jpg

100-0474.jpg

I have the Owners Manual on this Shotgun. Just few things it says don’t load over 1 1/4oz of Shot, don’t shoot unbalanced load, no Steel Shot or Buffering.

Truth I have broke couple of these.

oneshot

Done! This has got to be the sweetest one I've put together yet!  This one is available if you are interested. It is not cheap however. You when you buy from me, you are paying for the quality of work I put into it.
68416510.jpg

67684810.jpg

67678110.jpg

67923210.jpg

67632410.jpg

Back