What sabot bullet combo for deer out to 100 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 100 yards it seems like a case of paralysis by analysis. You could throw a sharpened stick at that distance and harvest a deer. You could literally toss a couple pellets of triple seven down the pipe, jam in what have you and blast away.
Amen!

It’s really not as complicated as it seems. Most of the Barnes you’re looking at are .45 caliber. So you want a black colored sabot from either MMP or Harvester. I’d go with the standard MMP HPH12.

https://mmpsabots.com/store/black-hph12-sabot50-pcs/

To your specific questions on sabot differences. Barnes doesn’t make their own sabots. All (majority?) of the sabots on the market are made by MMP or Harvester. They are made in different colors and configurations and rebranded for Hornady, TC, Barnes, etc. The primary difference in “EZ” type sabots is a smaller loaded outside diameter making them easier to load. Although as has been said that’s rarely a good thing. Sabots generally shoot best when fairly tight, IME. But muzzy barrels vary wildly in bore dimensions so you really just have to try some different ones to see what works best with your barrel.

Ode: I really don't want to complicate your life of muzzleloading, but there's another option for you to shoot a lighter bullet than what's currently available in 50 caliber. I don't recall anyone mentioning that you can also shoot a 45 caliber bullet in a 50 caliber sabot. You can find lotsa good 45 cal bullets that weigh 195 to 225 grains that are proven performers on deer. Barnes and Fury are very common. I think you might even be able to shoot a 40 cal bullet in a 50 sabot.

Was just rereading your original post.

I’d like to continue using blackthorn lose powder but I’m interested in expansion, not necessarily conical plastid points for long distance shooting.
I wouldn’t assume that a polymer tip is only useful in adding to the BC value slightly (for long range shooting).

In some of the terminal performance ballistic gelatin tests, the tipped bullets expand more readily than the hollow point or non-tipped bullets.

Ode: I really don't want to complicate your life of muzzleloading, but there's another option for you to shoot a lighter bullet than what's currently available in 50 caliber. I don't recall anyone mentioning that you can also shoot a 45 caliber bullet in a 50 caliber sabot. You can find lotsa good 45 cal bullets that weigh 195 to 225 grains that are proven performers on deer. Barnes and Fury are very common. I think you might even be able to shoot a 40 cal bullet in a 50 sabot.
The ones I’m looking at are 45 or 451.

I like a heavier bullet for some reason. Maybe because I've had great success with them. I used Barnes 290 gr TEZ and 300 gr Hornady XTPs and I'll be trying out Hornady's new Bore Drivers this year in the 340 gr size. That being said, any bullet in the 240 or heavier weight will suffice for deer within 100 yards. Even a cast bullet if its not too hard..
The advice above should be considered. Barnes Expanders, Hornady XTPs and similar are excellent choices. I would not suggest the XTP mags as they have heavier jackets and may not expand as well as the regular XTPs.
Just work on getting your most accurate load and put the bullet where it needs to be, behind the front shoulder thru both lungs, and you'll have your deer.
You can buy the Hornady XTPs in 100 pk boxes either 44 cal or 45 cal and buy Harvester CR sabots for them. Green for the 44s and black for the 45s.
Barnes 290 gr TEZ {Flat Base}...

It's what brings home the dinner.

Using the tez, do you lose any accuracy ? What rifles have you used it in? Thanks
About a half dozen mix of Thompson Center Impacts and Impact SBs and one New England Firearms SideKick.

The T/Cs lay them on top of each other. The NEF SideKick keeps them under 1" C2C most days.

I'm speaking of five (5) shot groups.

Bullets and rifles have come a long way since I started shooting about 60 years ago. Back then a 3"-4" group with a CF rifle was considered pretty good. Now it's all but laughable in most actions. Bullets were partly to blame for the mediocre accuracy.
Over the past year I've been contemplating buying some Fury 250 or 275 gr Star Tip bullets but haven't pulled the trigger on them as yet. I've been having such excellent accuracy with Hornady SSTs and Shockwaves and Barnes TEZs and Expanders that I'm having a hard time justifying spending the $$ for the Furys when either of the others will give me sub MOA accuracy. I'm sure when I stretch my distances out beyond 300 yards the Furys will be worth their cost but until then........

Muzzle-Loaders.com has the 250 Barnes Spitfire TEZ with the EZ load sabots you're looking for. And they have the 290's right there too.

Try this link.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/bullets/products/barnes-tez-bullets-250-grain
I plan to look through all the suggestions and sooner than later try some of the 200 gr pistol bullets suggested and buy the sabots in bulk. BUT. Since you suggested muzzle-loaders.com I went there and ordered two 24 packs of the TEZ in 250 gr. So i'm all set to sight it in when they arrive. Even if they do well, which i think they should, I will eventually do some experimenting. thanks

Muzzle-Loaders.com has the 250 Barnes Spitfire TEZ with the EZ load sabots you're looking for. And they have the 290's right there too.

Try this link.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/bullets/products/barnes-tez-bullets-250-grain
I ended up going with the TEZ spitfires at 250gr from muzzle-loaders.com. Get this, I ordered online Wednesday around noon, they created a UPS shipping label at 8 AM on Thursday in Oregon, they were delivered Friday (today) at noon in central Maryland. Sounds like Amazon ! Crazy good service from muzzle-loaders.com.

I found out that Deep Curls have been discontinued. Have you tried their Hot Cor bullets?
Bronko220002, just as an fyi, I contacted Speer through their website, asking whether the DeepCurl line of bullets specifically, the .429cal/240gr and the .451cal/300gr, have been discontinued. Their response was:

These bullets are still being made and distributed.

I search all the regular online shops every couple of months and have not found a box in at least 2 years. Have almost given up.

Latest posts

Back