What sabot bullet combo for deer out to 100 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ode1891

Reaction score
I gave my 2003 TC Encore to my son, and I bought a new CVA 50 cal Acura direct from cva. I’d like to continue using blackthorn lose powder but I’m interested in expansion, not necessarily conical plastid points for long distance shooting. I’ve had great success with Barnes and Hornady. What do you suggest I try in a hollow point type bullet ? Easier loading is important too. Thanks!

For availability, lethality, price and performance in just about any gun XTP's with the right sabot choice for your barrel is hard to beat. I shot a deer with one this season for the first time in years and I asked myself why I put em down for that expensive stuff I've been slinging for a decade...
After getting away from power belts, I shot many Barnes and a few Hornady bullets and I always used the sabots that came with a particular bullet. It looks like lots of shooters experiment with a variety of sabots. Is that necessary for a typical whitetail deer hunter in woods? I can understand a precision shot at 300 or 500 yards requires best match in powder, sabot and bullet. I’m looking for good out of the box 100 yard accuracy. My gun is a new CVA Accura in the shorter barrel.

Last edited:
No. If you're just shooting a few rounds and just hunting deer, its far from necessary.
I sight in with maybe ten shots, then I shoot less than 10 shots during our two muzzleloader seasons total 23? Days.

For what you describe you can easily get by with the clam packaged XTP/sabots found in box stores.

Lots of use here shoot all year round, just not necessarily hunting. For us that do, buying the bullets separate from the sabots is cheaper and we can use sabots we feel work better for us.

We are just getting back into the BP scene and my son used a Hornady 240 XTP this year on a whitetail. A 75 yd shot and there was venison in the freezer. We bought a loose box of bullets and two bags of the black harvester sabots for sighting in. Using 95 gr by volume of triple 7 loose powder we were printing groups 2-3" at 100 that were acceptable for our hunting. FYI, We were both using Encores.

I am sure there are other bullets that are better ( as recommended by more knowledgeable folks here) but we went with what we had and didn't look back.

In hindsight, I might go with a little less powder in this combination in the future since the XTP is a pistol bullet. Pushing it into rifle velocities makes the bullet quite explosive on deer.

All the best to you.

In years past I've taken a lot of deer with XTPs, mostly in the 250 grain range in my .50 cals or the 200 grain range [.40 cal] in my .45's. In each case I shot the bullets hard velocity wise and as long as I kept the shots off large bone there wasn't any real excessive damage. When I say I shot them hard, I mean my loads were pretty stiff to get the accuracy I wanted, less than an inch at 100 yards. The weighed charges of BH209 in the .50 cals was 77 grains. In the .45s it was 63 grains. These charges remain the same today but at the range during my usual shooting T7 fffg is weighed the same for the 50's and 45's respectively to shoot the XTPs, while hunting charges are of the weighed BH209 and Barnes XPBs are used.

In the last six or eight years I've shot more deer with the Optima pistol with a hunting charge of BH209 weighed at 63 grains. Early on I used the 240 grain XTP and those bullets put a lot of deer on the dirt without taking another step. They're an excellent deer bullet. I get a bit better accuracy with the Barnes XPB in a 225 grain bullet and maybe 150 fps better velocity, plus I don't need to worry about lead in the meat. But really, any XTP shot without hitting large bones is a devastating bullet without a ton of meat damage.

Load those guns up and go hunting Ode.... you're fine.

Back