CVA Apex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Featherman

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm a newbie to the site, stumbled across it last night and registered. Used to shoot a fair amount a few years back and let the hobby rest, currently have an Encore, White and custom made muzzle loader in the stable. I'm looking at purchasing another (not about need but about want, some will understand :D ) I'm looking at a used CVA Apex, do not know much about the gun, release date appears to be 2009-2010 but am not sure.

What are the pros and cons of the Apex? Is there a 209 breech plug conversion available?

And last, if I want to add to the stable am I better off waiting for CVA to release their bolt action?

Flame away boys...….

Thanks,

Welcome!

The first year 2009ish Apex's didn't have the QRBP, the second year 2010ish had a QRBP, but it had two games in the face of the breech plug. They were no Blackhorn Breech Plugs like those two designs.

All the later years 2011ish had a Blackhorn Breech Plug available.

Apex was a good rifle, but was discontinued in favor of the lighter and less expensive Scout V2.

The new bolt action should be a very nice rifle like the Bergara B-14.

Apex is a great rifle but you can no longer get barrels for it. CVA quit supporting it over a year ago. There might be a few barrels floating around or at BergaraUSA's website. The 45/70 barrels are highly sought after for converting to 45cal MLs.

Looks like they have a 3 barrels left and the ML barrel is super cheap http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_combined_ ... F581B59902

If you want something very similar to the Apex, look at the Accura Mountain Rifle. Its a 50cal ML only and much lighter.

I like the idea of the Paramount but im not totally sold on the PR stainless LRMP modules they showed. Its a neat idea but that style does not seal as well as the Hankins/ASG modules. Several guys have used those PR LRMP modules for custom Savage builds and they were difficult to get a good seal. Head spacing has to be spot on perfect. If they leak then the gas will cut the module and breach plug just like a cutting torch.

I'm sure Luke, Jeff, or Hankins will have a breech plug and module conversion for the Paramount before you can say lickety split!

Possibly but the PR SS LRMP module is based on a 22 hornet case head. They offer 45/70, 308(.473) based modules and i thought i saw a 223 based module before too. I didnt pay attention to how the Paramount bolt assembly was put together. If it was like a MLII that is easily changed or not. Cool looking rifle though from what i did see before the pics vanished.

I will be strongly tempted by it since i hardly shoot the pacnor and its a pig of a rifle. All depends on how closely they follow the B-14 design and aftermarket support. Especially how the bolt is designed and if the barrel is threaded or 1 piece barrel/action. IMO if CVA Offered your choice of LRMP or 209 they might have a huge hit. Assuming its a fast twist 45 with a quality barrel.

The production rifle isn't built yet, that we know of. Maybe CVA will come to their senses before then? Just have to wait and see.

I'm thinking the leaks were planned, so they could get some feedback before everything is finalized?

I'd rather have a 209 than the PR. Unless they add a new twist to the design?

If the Apex isn't 209 ready, I'll likely pass on it and either wait or look for something else. Its a nice looking gun....

Featherman said:
If the Apex isn't 209 ready, I'll likely pass on it and either wait or look for something else. Its a nice looking gun....

Blackhorn209 ready or 209 primer ready?

Not sure if you can still buy the BH209 plug but the regular one can be converted. All the Apex plugs were 209 primer. I never saw one in PACNW configuration.

GM54-120 said:
Featherman said:

Blackhorn209 ready or 209 primer ready?

Not sure if you can still buy the BH209 plug but the regular one can be converted. All the Apex plugs were 209 primer. I never saw one in PACNW configuration.

Meant 209 primer ready so I can shoot BH209...…..maybe I spoke to soon...?

Here are the breech plugs as they evolved in the Apex.

2009 Apex OEM Non-QRBP

2010 Apex OEM QRBP. Zoom in on the face of the plug. Notice the dual flanges. That is the only year they were made that way.

2011 and later Apex Blackhorn QRBP. Single Flange on the front of the plug.

All of these plugs are 209 primer, and can shoot Blackhorn 209. The 2010 plug can be modified with a vent liner, or replaced with a Apex Blackhorn Breech Plug AFAIK.

Just wanted you to be aware, since you thought it was a 2009 or 2010. The first three years were all a bit different.

Attachments

• s876418629757933989_p3755_i2_w640.jpeg
    s876418629757933989_p3755_i2_w640.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 321
  • s876418629757933989_p3779_i1_w640.jpeg
    s876418629757933989_p3779_i1_w640.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 322
  • s876418629757933989_p9185_i1_w400.jpeg
    s876418629757933989_p9185_i1_w400.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 322
Even if it takes a 209 primer you will want the modification to use Blackhorn209 powder more reliably. If for no other reason it turns a disposable plug into a plug you can renew for about $5 if it ever needs it. The flash hole on all breach plugs wear EXCEPT Savage type plugs that have a replaceable flash hole called a vent liner. It still wears of course but its a 3min job to replace. Its as simple as removing a bolt and replacing it with a new one after its modified.

Since i cant find any new Apex plugs its a very worthwhile investment. BergaraUSA still has 50cal ML barrels for $50 and it appears they come with a mount and plug. At that price its well worth having a spare. Front stock was $16.
http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_product_d ... E029E7DC8D
rb4002s-600.jpg

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_product_d ... 79E50A5F3C
600-AC31169B-APEX%20Rifle%20Forestocks-Black-Centerfire%20Full%20Contour.jpg

Come with scope mount, QRBP, thimbles, and the ramrod. They throw the perfectly honed 416 stainless steel Bergara barrel with fluting in for free.

I bought a 2009 Apex barrel for a project when they were closing them out several years ago for project. The rifling is perfect, and pristine. Paid $39 for that one.

The barrel is a total steal and its a beast too. Over 1" OD for several inches. 1.1" if im not mistaken. Thats larger than a Savage MLII large shank.

I have 2 Apex rifles.

My only complaint on one rifle was the camo finish started to peel off. I contacted CVA and they shipped a new buttstock and forestock to me free of charge.

The triggers on these rifles are nice and are adjustable.

The hinge pin may need to be replaced to remove any excess slop and tighten up the barrel to action fit, both my rifles use an oversized hinge pin made by Bellm,

I had one 45-70 barrel converted to use large rifle magnum primers in a brass module, the barrel is no longer a centerfire barrel but now is a faster twist 45 cal. muzzleloader barrel, its very accurate with full bore bullets. Some already converted 45-70 barrels are still for sale.

Geez 50.00 for a new barrel. The asking price for the gun is 575.00 but that's in Canadian currency!!!!

How is the Apex compared to the new CV2 version? I could buy the CV2 for another 50.00 up here.....!

Featherman said:
Geez 50.00 for a new barrel. The asking price for the gun is 575.00 but that's in Canadian currency!!!!

Thats only $439 USD and a very good deal unless its been trashed.

Featherman said:
How is the Apex compared to the new CV2 version? I could buy the CV2 for another 50.00 up here.....!

Never heard of a CV2 and no such model is even listed on Bergara's website in Europe. At one time Bergara did offer a Apex in Europe and other countries than the USA. Pretty sure it was the same rifle other than a optional wood or faux wood stock. They never listed it available as a ML in Europe so i have idea.

Featherman said:

Do you mean Accura V2 or Optima V2?

If it were me, I would still get the Apex if the price is right and the condition is good, it's an all stainless steel action that can handle centerfire rounds vs. the lighter alloy used in the other two. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the other two rifles either, I just like the beefier action and flexibility of having a 50 cal. and 45 cal. barrel.

Back