CVA Cleaning Gel on blackhorn 209 loose powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
The blackhorn 209 website recommends the Montana Xtreme cleaning products, but of course that's the same company.

I like the idea of gel. Seems like less mess.

Anyone use the CVA gel? Do you like it? Does anyone use it on blackhorn powder?

Thank you for your time

Re: CVA Cleaning Gel on blackhorn 209 loose powder?

I used either the Montana or just Hoppe's. BH cleans up really easy with either. I'm not certain what a gel may be, but I'd probably never try it.

When I first started muzzleloading I also used the cva gel. It is not compatible with black horn. I couldn't get any accuracy at all. It took a conversation with Toby Bridges who told me the gel will leave a stickiness in the barrel affecting accuracy. Cva gel will work fine with any other black powder subs.

zach.trumble said:
The blackhorn 209 website recommends the Montana Xtreme cleaning products, but of course that's the same company.

I like the idea of gel. Seems like less mess.

Anyone use the CVA gel? Do you like it? Does anyone use it on blackhorn powder?

I'm from the old-school that sees gel as a bigger mess. I grew-up administering solvent onto a patch, then insert wrapped patch into the bore, via either a jag or bore brush. Gels make a mess, unless applied inside the bore, prior to the patches.

Want a good cleaner that's neither toxic - nor smells, plus safe on the environment/land fills?....Bore Tech Eliminator. Just use household spray for swabbing at the range. Something like Windex Multi-Surface with Vinegar.

..... and no, this Windex Vinegar content (that I recommend above) is less than 10%, so it will not create prolonged issues inside your bore. Just find yourself an empty 2oz plastic spray bottle that exist on Walmart, Meijer...etc... sample racks for $1. Pour some Windex into those small spray bottles. It's a small, easy-carry accesory for your possibles bag at the shooting bench. I carry a fishing tackle box.

The MX cleaners are similar to Ballistol but far more toxic. They use ether as the solvent base instead of alcohol.

MX cowboy blend is one of the best for BH209 but man does it stink. The fumes can be really harsh for some people. I am rather found of the MX Bore Conditioner. It has less fumes and more mineral oil. While its not marketed as a cleaner it isn't too bad for a quick swabbing before heading home after a hunt or day of shooting.

Ok. So this beings up another question.

What should I use to clean it?

The sticky on this forum says windex and water.

Blackhorn website says NOT water based.

Don't like the idea of getting high while cleaning - or cleaning in the garage in December!

Does the Bore Tech Eliminator stuff work well with BH209?

I've been using butch's bore shine. That's just what I have right now.

Thank you for your time

Butchs Bore Shine is what I use at home. I use the BH solvent from Western at the range. I found a pump spray nozzle that fits perfect on the bottle. Some use Hoppes #9 that also works well.

I use Montana Extreme "Cowboy Blend" or Hoppes #9

Hoppes#9 and Iso heet mixed 50-50.

I use hoppes #9

honestly, Im not seeing the "easy clean up" part with black horn. takes forever to get clean patches. wet patch, dry until kinda clean, next wet patch black. dry until kinda clean, wet black. Over and over.

What i do is first use a dry patch down and back. Then toss it, and use a second dry patch down and back. Flip the second patch over, and run it down and back. Then a solvent soaked patch down and back. Then use a patch on a large brush to clean the breech plug threads. Then a dry patch down and back. Then a second dry patch down and back, flip it over, and down and back. This last pass leaves the patch clean enough to suit me.

I use the same thing I use on my bench/varmint rifles for carbon.. I used to use GM top end cleaner. Since that's been discontinued, I Now I use Mercury powertune (quicksilver, same thing). I've heard some using seafoam with similar results.

Back