cva hunterbolt trigger mod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
i have the firebolt version which i would like to take out some creep on. the sear that acts directly to hold back the bolt, can it be removed? it feels like there is a spring acting on it and it rotates on a single pin. if i can get it out, the lower engagement can be stoned.

For a question like that, I would consult a gunsmith. For what little it would cost to have them do it, it is a great feeling when it is done right.

the nearest full service smith is over 2 hours away. i can order a spare trigger assembly from deercreek to mess with for $28 + shipping. i would rather go in that direction.

If that is the case, order a new trigger assembly. After it arrives and you're sure it fits and works, then have at the old one. You can try adjusting the parts you think would lighten the trigger. Being careful of course not to over lighten. If you good something up, then its easy to take out the broken part and replace it with the new one.

I remember a in line rifle I got from Traditions one year. Purchased it through Sportsman's Guide. I think it was called an E something or other. Cleaned it up, got it all set to shoot, and discovered it was "self firing." Yes, I had it out on the range, loaded it, it had a hammer striker ignition, cocked it, was bringing it up to put in the shooting vice, no finger on the trigger, and BOOM! it went off. I was shocked. So I put a new primer in it, no load, cocked it, and BOOM! it goes off again. Needless to say we went in the house, cleaned it and boxed it up and sent it back to Sportsman's Guide. They wanted to send me a new one but I told them no thanks.

In fact I had sworn off inline rifles because of that. But the girlfriend got me a CVA Staghorn Magnum for Christmas that year. So I got that set to shoot. And that was just an awesome loading and shooting rifle. I finally sold it real cheap to a fellow that needed a GOOD rifle. And he was tickled to death with it. He still hunts with it.

sounds like good advice. some time back i tried to find a local smith to cut a dovetail for the front sight on my nma remington revolver. finally gave up, made a couple of blind sided files and cut them myself. i have one of those tradtions, it has an adjustable trigger. i did adjust it, in fact i had to grind back the safety bar because it blocked adjustment after a certain point. i can slam the butt on the ground and it will not fire. i am a range shooter and put 100's of round trough it with no problems.

Latest posts

Back