CVA OPTIMA V2 Load Advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kz106

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post on here. I have a new CVA Optima V2 stainless steel barrel. I currently have it zeroed at 100 yards with 80gr T7 loose powder with 295gr Powerbelt Aerotip. That leaves me 2.5" hight at 50. It's grouping consistently but I'm concerned about my muzzle velocity. Ballistic charts from power belt only go down to 100gr of powder. With 100gr of T7 my MV at 100yds would only be about 1300fps. And I'm not sure if that's enough for consistent expansion with Aerotips.

I guess I have 2 options, switch to Aerolites because they perform better ar lower velocities (also my dad has the same gin and uses the same load and AT's and AL's shoot almost the same out of his gun) and/or try to bump up my powder charge.

Was curious if anyone has any personal experience with any of these loads out of this gun so I have a good starting point. I'm a college student and don't have alot of money to be burning through bullets and powder all willy nilly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

You're probably going to hear something about tossing those PowerBelt products out the window and start using bullets like the XTP Hornady and the Deep Curls along with a few others. You'll also hear about getting some different sabots. Listen to what you're told. First off, these other bullets/sabots are way cheaper to shoot and secondly they have way better terminal performance than any Powerbelt product. Accuracy in that gun will get right into the 1" at 100 yard category. At 1300 fps a 240 grain to 300 grain XTP or Deep Curl will perform beautifully on deer. Most all of what I have mentioned for bullets and bulk sabots are easily gotten on the internet and are by far and away cheaper than what you're using now. In my opinion your gun is being under utilized if Powerbelts are being used.

Re: RE: Re: CVA OPTIMA V2 Load Advice

MrTom said:
Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

You're probably going to hear something about tossing those PowerBelt products out the window and start using bullets like the XTP Hornady and the Deep Curls along with a few others. You'll also hear about getting some different sabots. Listen to what you're told. First off, these other bullets/sabots are way cheaper to shoot and secondly they have way better terminal performance than any Powerbelt product. Accuracy in that gun will get right into the 1" at 100 yard category. At 1300 fps a 240 grain to 300 grain XTP or Deep Curl will perform beautifully on deer. Most all of what I have mentioned for bullets and bulk sabots are easily gotten on the internet and are by far and away cheaper than what you're using now. In my opinion your gun is being under utilized if Powerbelts are being used.
Well I don't want to completely discount them though, we've used them in the past in our in lines and have killed alot of deer with them. And have gotten good groups with them. My dad had 3 holes touching with aero lites but doesn't use them for the price. Here in PA we only have a 1 week early muzzleloader doe season so it's not like I live in ohio where the entire gun season I have to use one.

I have thought about trying the federal premium copper muzzleloader bullets since they are the same price as aerolites. My concern about going to sabots or the Federal premium bullets is the plastic fouling in the barrel. I'm really not a fan of that.

It sounds as though you're dialed. If you father has the same gun and has verified that the two bullets fly near identical go with the one that offers the best expansion at lower velocities. As for the sabots, todays products are pretty good about shooting clean unless you're booting the charges way up where they don't belong. Just offering some alternatives. Happy hunting and good luck.

MrTom said:
It sounds as though you're dialed. If you father has the same gun and has verified that the two bullets fly near identical go with the one that offers the best expansion at lower velocities. As for the sabots, todays products are pretty good about shooting clean unless you're booting the charges way up where they don't belong. Just offering some alternatives. Happy hunting and good luck.
Thanks alot!! I our season opens this Saturday so I'm going to stick with what I have for now. I may play around with some different loads and charges later on to try to squeeze some more velocity and accuracy out of it

FYI, this is a Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet fired from a CVA Accura MR @ about 40 yards which took a nice buck using 2 pellets of T7.

71kcWdVh.jpg

I guess I have 2 options, switch to Aerolites because they perform better ar lower velocities (also my dad has the same gin and uses the same load and AT's and AL's shoot almost the same out of his gun) and/or try to bump up my powder charge.
If your father shoots the same load, as has shot deer with it, what are you worried about?? So........i take it he has shot both bullets, but never at deer? Stick with what you have shot, unless you have time to test the hollow points is my advice. Another thing to consider is those hollow points are very explosive, so you may be better off using the tipped bullets. ☺

Next year, perhaps you can try something less expensive. You chose one of the most expensive bullets to use this year. The Speer 250g Gold Dot will expand at slow speeds, and knock the snot out of a deer. Load the bullet with one of these Sabot and each shot will cost you 45¢, plus powder, and primer.

Work hard at college!!!!! :wink:

My concern about going to sabots or the Federal premium bullets is the plastic fouling in the barrel. I'm really not a fan of that.

That is one of the biggest myths ive ever heard and CVA still claims it to be true. Ive shot sabots faster than you can possibly imagine. Ive yet to see sabot fouling with any recommended/approved load. If you drill a sabot maybe. When sabots fail which is kinda rare you may get some. Its highly unlikely you will blow a sabot unless the barrel is way way too hot to shoot it.

This aint 1985 polymers anymore. Sabot fouling is not common today even with my hot loads.

That 250gr GoldDot will expand like a dream at lower speeds. My friends kid use it with just 80gr of powder.

GM54-120 said:
My concern about going to sabots or the Federal premium bullets is the plastic fouling in the barrel. I'm really not a fan of that.

That is one of the biggest myths ive ever heard and CVA still claims it to be true. Ive shot sabots faster than you can possibly imagine. Ive yet to see sabot fouling with any recommended/approved load. If you drill a sabot maybe. When sabots fail which is kinda rare you may get some. Its highly unlikely you will blow a sabot unless the barrel is way way too hot to shoot it.

This aint 1985 polymers anymore. Sabot fouling is not common today even with my hot loads.
Hmmmm that's interesting!! I'll keep that in mind when I try some new things. Right now I have too many power belts and too little time to fool around with anything at the moment

rangerod said:
CVA and POWERBELT are owned by the same company. That's probably why they discourage the use of sabots. :think:
Absolutely. The plastic fouling claim is just a complete falsehood. In actuality, it has been my experience that current CVA barrels aren't at all picky and will shoot almost any good jacketed or monolithic bullet well with the right sabot and powder charge.

Latest posts

Back