CVA Plainshunter Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilogulf59

Reaction score
Greetings. My friend has a very nice muzzle-loader and he’d like to know the barrel’s rate of twist. Also, any other information, such as date of manufacture, would be nice. He got it used with no manual and neither one of us can find any information online. It’s as if the rifle model never existed. I contacted CVA and they said “Unfortunately that model was made before BPI outdoors took over CVA in 1999 and we do not have any parts, information, or manuals available.” No help there.

This is what we know; it’s a CVA Plainshunter, made in Spain, .50 cal, percussion, plastic ramrod, 61-13-01XXXX-95 is the serial number.

I’ve researched some obscure firearms and never have I hit a brick wall like this. Hopefully, one of you knowledgeable folks knows something or can point me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Ken aka kilogulf59
IMG_4325-1.jpg IMG_4326.jpg IMG_4327.jpg

Thanks, snapbang. You'd think there'd be a manual floating around somewhere. I got bupkis when I searched.

If I find the answer somewhere else, I'll post it here JIC someone else is wondering.

The owner of that rifle is. He's using his other rifle, a Thompson Center Hawken.

Unfortunately, it's the Plainshunter model not the Plainsman.

A lot of the old CVA rifles were made for specific vendors, like Gander Mountain, Cabela's, etc.
Many of them were basically the same gun but with a unique name for each customer.
The gun you have looks very much like the Frontier model.
From what I know, only the CVA Mountain Rifle had a slow twist barrel, 1/66. The rest were pretty much all 1/48.
Deercreek Products in Waldron, Indiana sells new old stock CVA parts.
They might possibly have more information on that particular gun.
At any rate, it looks to be in good shape. I'd say to load er up and shoot er.

Greetings. My friend has a very nice muzzle-loader and he’d like to know the barrel’s rate of twist. Also, any other information, such as date of manufacture, would be nice. He got it used with no manual and neither one of us can find any information online. It’s as if the rifle model never existed. I contacted CVA and they said “Unfortunately that model was made before BPI outdoors took over CVA in 1999 and we do not have any parts, information, or manuals available.” No help there.

This is what we know; it’s a CVA Plainshunter, made in Spain, .50 cal, percussion, plastic ramrod, 61-13-01XXXX-95 is the serial number.

I’ve researched some obscure firearms and never have I hit a brick wall like this. Hopefully, one of you knowledgeable folks knows something or can point me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Ken aka kilogulf59
View attachment 28122 View attachment 28123 View attachment 28124
Good morning. The way I find out the rate of twist, is take a fairly tight patch, lubricated, run it down to the bottom make a mark on the ramrod that's on top, carefully withdraw it a set length like exactly 24 inches. If it makes one half turn, It's a one in 48. If the rifle has a 30 inch barrel, a full pull of 30 inches and a one half turn would equal a one in 60 twist. Was a little calculator and some careful measuring, I'm sure you can find out the rate of twist. Good luck.
Squint

Latest posts

Back