CVA Scout .243

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Picked it up today along with a box on 80gr remington ammo! A cute little compact rifle with a 20" barrel. I havent weighed it yet but with the scope and one piece mount, it feels around 6lbs.

.243 CVA Scout Compact

34 1/8" Over all Length
20" Compact Barrel
13 1/8" Length of pull with hammer cocked
6lbs 13oz without sling

DSCN2677.jpg

DSCN2682.jpg

I ordered the combo deal of the .243 with the CVA Soft gun case as well as the Konus Pro 1.5 - 5 power x32mm scope. Crystal clear! I still like a 9 or 10x scope but with this compact set up, that 5x comes up quick and right into view. A perfect brush gun in my opinion. The scopes supposedly are bore sighted but after finding two cap screws loose i decided it was best to pull the scope and check the base mount screws. They were all tight, but its still best to pull it and make SURE everything is snug and in place.
DSCN2684.jpg

With the short barrel the percussion when the gun goes off is awesome. My head was numb after 12 rounds LOL. Also due to the short barrel, it heats up FAST. It was very uncomfortable to touch after 5 rounds.
DSCN2681.jpg

I am having an issue right now with the extractor. When i load a bullet, slam it shut and fire it, the case swells up a bit and the extractor will not drop down enough to allow for easy removal. I will take care of this my self as its an easy fix, but this may be something to watch for.
DSCN2686.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg

Using some over the counter ammo, i bought a box of Remington Express ammo for $20.95. I wanted the 100gr version but they only had 80gr so i went with it and it did pretty good for right out of the box. 1-1/4" 3 shot group @ 100 yards.
DSCN2676.jpg

My 16 year old nephew will be shooting this gun for another Thanksgiving Day Youth hunt in New Mexico on a muley buck.

Got it all fixed up. Turns out that there must have been a burr inside the chamber that was catching the casing when it flared up. I use some jb bore paste on a spent casing and lapped it a couple dozen strokes and fired it this morning with zero issues. Easier fix than i originally thought. The extractor was not the problem.

The first time i've heard you complain about recoil, and it's a little .243. Go figure.

What's that little puppy cost? Do they make a normal size model?

Normal size models are being discontinued. The Compacts are selling like hot cakes. The compacts though are only offered in .35 Whelen, 7mm08, 243, .44 mag
Depends where you buy from, This model runs around $460 on the cva website. I know on buds gun shop.com they sell the bare bones .243 scout for only $281 shipped. Blued is around $30 cheaper

The recoil isn't even noticeable, its the shockwave that 20" barrel produces that will wake you up!

Oh ok. Put one of those foam rubber thingys I put on my Wolf. It really softens it up. It's the stuff they use in football helmets, and really absorbs the shock.

Cool little gun. You going to use it on deer? Nothing bigger I hope.

Yeah my nephew will use a 100gr bullet " not sure which brand yet" in new mexico on mule deer.

jon, I used the NITREX .243 90-or 100 nosler partisions years ago, they worked great. Now its the Hornady SST, but the centerfires are left in the GUN CABNIT.

thanks sqezer, i saw something about the Nitrex bullets. I never seen them at the stores though.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zHCCFac2vGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally tested the trigger pull on the scale and it breaks between 34 - 38oz depending where you squeeze it at.

I have been thinking about a full size in 7-08 and getting the compact stock for it. I like the longer barrel.

if you can find a full size, get it while you can, CVA is discontinuing the full size and going with the compacts as they are selling a lot more of them.

I noticed you pulling the brass out do they not have an extractor looks like a cool rifle 8)

It has an extractor that pulls them out far enough so you can do the rest. Cool lil gun, I actually need to put a 9x scope on it and buy some ammo.

Very sweet gun
I want an APEX in a 7mm08 or 243 along with a ML barrle :twisted:

I have a .308 Apex then I bought a 50cal ML barrel and liked it so much that I bought another Apex frame.

O Muznut you are putting such wicked thoughts in my head LOL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back