CVA stock ramrod; Is it as useless as it seems?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't understand why my CVA Wolf ramrod is so short, it totally disappears into the barrel. Why wouldn't they make it long enough to actually be useful without having to add on the extension? On top of that, the palm saver has to be removed in order to use the extension. I wonder if the engineer that came up with this is still employeed by CVA. So frustrating.

I don't understand why my CVA Wolf ramrod is so short, it totally disappears into the barrel. Why wouldn't they make it long enough to actually be useful without having to add on the extension? On top of that, the palm saver has to be removed in order to use the extension. I wonder if the engineer that came up with this is still employeed by CVA. So frustrating.
take a look at a Spin Jag ram rod for a replacement.I have one for my Night and they make them for CVA"s.great product.

They could have made it a half inch longer, even 3/4 of an inch. Even if it stuck out a bit past the end of the barrel it wouldn't bother nothing.
Granted that when you dump a powder charge and bullet down the barrel, without some sort of extension, you barely have enough ramrod to seat your charge.

spin jag makes ram rods to fit CVA 's, and if you have a spin jag added it would come threaded on the end.you can contact them and they will help you and explain how it is made and how it will for your gun.

My nitride wolf v2 came with a solid aluminum ramrod with the palm saver. Vise'd it up and unscrewed the palmsaver jag (it's 10-32 threaded but just factory installed with some sort of thread lock) and added a spinjag. Protrudes about an inch but goes full barrel length unloaded...

I put a Spin Jag ram rod with the spin jag end on my Knight LK-93 as it came with a hollow ram rod, one of the threaded inserts came out.

Did the the same when I got my CVA Accura MR. That CVA came with a solid ram rod. I use the CVA ram rod with a brush on one end and the long cleaning jag on the other end for cleaning the CVA. Also use a CVA 3 piece range rod with a spin jag on the end.

Not sure what I’m going to do when I get the Woodman Patriot. I think the website says not to use an aluminum ram rod. Might have to ask Mark for a custom length ram rod so I can add a spin jag. I have seen a website that does custom delrin ram rods.

I recently got a CVA Optima and the ramrod came threaded on on end only. I thought I had a defect so I called CVA and was told that's the way they come. So I told them that I thought it didn't make any sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I now have 3 CVAs and have had two others and all performed well I thought but to save a few pennies by not having a threaded insert on one end is pretty poor imo. All the others were threaded on both ends.

I put a Spin Jag ram rod with the spin jag end on my Knight LK-93 as it came with a hollow ram rod, one of the threaded inserts came out.

Did the the same when I got my CVA Accura MR. That CVA came with a solid ram rod. I use the CVA ram rod with a brush on one end and the long cleaning jag on the other end for cleaning the CVA. Also use a CVA 3 piece range rod with a spin jag on the end.

Not sure what I’m going to do when I get the Woodman Patriot. I think the website says not to use an aluminum ram rod. Might have to ask Mark for a custom length ram rod so I can add a spin jag. I have seen a website that does custom delrin ram rods.

IIRC the patriot comes with a delrin rod . i have a brass range rod i plan on using for everything except reloading if needed when hunting and then i'll use the one supplied by Mark . hadn't thought of asking for a longer ram rod from him (my patriot is still being made for me) . how much longer are you thinking of asking for ? i plan on going smokeless after shoot up or sell/give away my 777 powders .

IIRC the patriot comes with a delrin rod . i have a brass range rod i plan on using for everything except reloading if needed when hunting and then i'll use the one supplied by Mark . hadn't thought of asking for a longer ram rod from him (my patriot is still being made for me) . how much longer are you thinking of asking for ? i plan on going smokeless after shoot up or sell/give away my 777 powders .
I thought of getting a shorter one in addition to the one that comes with the Patriot so I can put a spin jag on it. I have a friend that has the same rifle as I ordered. I’ll call him to see what size the Patriot ramrod is or someone on here can list the length, diameter and distance between the end of the barrel and the thimble.

Getting a longer one to use as a range rod sounds like a plan too.

I did a search earlier and saw that October Country Muzzleloader sells various sizes of Delrin ramrods.

I recently got a CVA Optima and the ramrod came threaded on on end only. I thought I had a defect so I called CVA and was told that's the way they come. So I told them that I thought it didn't make any sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I now have 3 CVAs and have had two others and all performed well I thought but to save a few pennies by not having a threaded insert on one end is pretty poor imo. All the others were threaded on both ends.
I looked at my CVA ramrod this morning and one end is threaded and the other has a jag on it. I thought the jag would come off. If it does, it’s not easy. I put an extended cleaning jag on that end and a brush on the other.

I thought the CVA ramrod was solid but I’m not so sure. Either way, it stays at home for cleaning.

If the ramrod that comes with a gun I buy is wood, then I typically replace it with a metal or resin glass filled rod. After a shot or two the bullet can get hard to get down the barrel. Having a ram rod sheer off, break and getting impaled by it really sucks. Especially if it is like a ten mile hike back to your vehicle.

I don’t think that we can shoot a ML enough for a metal ram rod to wear out or damage the barrel. I doubt there are many people who have fired 10,000 rounds or more out of their MLs. Corrosion over time would probably cause more wear and tear than the ram rod. For those that do though they typically have false muzzles that they use. Both the wood and resin rods could get some abrasive particles embedded in them but I think it would tend to be a non issue most of the time.

You could make a new one…. Get a brass rod drill and tap it.

Or get a carbon archery arrow and insert. Those inserts are threaded to accept normal gun cleaning jags… you could drill it bigger and retap for 10-32 threads

Well, it needs to fit under the barrel, and when you have a load and bullet in the bore it won’t go all the way down. It’s a field ram rod.

The older ramrods (2016ish) were threaded both ends. Pull the palmsaver, thread on the extension or the loading jag, pretty quick follow up. The newer/cheaper/worthless ramrods are threaded only in the jag/palmsaver end. Pull the palmsaver, unthread it, thread on the extension or a loading jag on the jag end, flip it and push the now unattached palm saver on the open end of the rod. Stupid, cheap, pathetic.

CVA 👎🏻.

Also, on break action rifles the rod cannot be long enough to fit the length of the bore and fit under the barrel on the pivot lug. They’re all like that.

Haven't handled the newest models but my wolf is a nitrided model with a 2020 date on the barrel and came with the solid aluminum ramrod threaded on one end and palmsaver jag on the other. Maybe the less expensive blued models have the cheaper rods?

Back