CVA stock ramrod; Is it as useless as it seems?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't handled the newest models but my wolf is a nitrided model with a 2020 date on the barrel and came with the solid aluminum ramrod threaded on one end and palmsaver jag on the other. Maybe the less expensive blued models have the cheaper rods?
This is the new Wolf V2. I think they went cheap with the V2.

My nitride wolf v2 came with a solid aluminum ramrod with the palm saver. Vise'd it up and unscrewed the palmsaver jag (it's 10-32 threaded but just factory installed with some sort of thread lock) and added a spinjag. Protrudes about an inch but goes full barrel length unloaded...
I did the same thing to the one on my Accura.

Attachments

• 5D61D0E4-8D2B-4D07-A7EB-5B89D61B1A3F.jpeg
    5D61D0E4-8D2B-4D07-A7EB-5B89D61B1A3F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have the CVA Optima 2. One end of stock (aluminum?) rod has the jag that came on the rod (which I have not attempted to remove) with male threads that holds the palm saver and female threads to add another jag. Other end just hollow. I use a range rod usually but in the field I find that the CVA rod works OK. I attach a small universal loading jag for hunting on the jag that came on the rod. It only protrudes a little past the end of the barrel. Then I use the notch on my speedloader or on the bullet starter instead of the palm saver to push the rod down the bore. I find it is plenty long to load a Hornady bore driver with either two pellets or 90-100 grains by volume of BH209. Tried to show this in pictures below. First one is bullet, powder charge (white hots aligned between but below the bullet and the breech plug) and breech plug lined up and the jag. Second one shows how much the rod protrudes past the muzzle when the load is compressed. Third one shows how far the jag I added protrudes while hunting.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
  • R2.jpg
    R2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
  • R3.jpg
    R3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have the CVA Optima 2. One end of stock (aluminum?) rod has the jag that came on the rod (which I have not attempted to remove) with male threads that holds the palm saver and female threads to add another jag. Other end just hollow. I use a range rod usually but in the field I find that the CVA rod works OK. I attach a small universal loading jag for hunting on the jag that came on the rod. It only protrudes a little past the end of the barrel. Then I use the notch on my speedloader or on the bullet starter instead of the palm saver to push the rod down the bore. I find it is plenty long to load a Hornady bore driver with either two pellets or 90-100 grains by volume of BH209. Tried to show this in pictures below. First one is bullet, powder charge (white hots aligned between but below the bullet and the breech plug) and breech plug lined up and the jag. Second one shows how much the rod protrudes past the muzzle when the load is compressed. Third one shows how far the jag I added protrudes while hunting.
I have a cpl of the exact same jag's as that one & until I bought the SpinJag in my post, I had the exact same thing. I don't like it protruding past the muzzle, but I really like everything else about doing this.

I'm not crazy about anything extending beyond the muzzle but I have shot my Accura with a jag in place without any hardships. Yet. My Patriot has a rod that uses a screw-out jag extention, similar to the rod that came in my .45 Kodiak, and that's what I use at the range. The rod I will use during hunting season with my Patriot .45, with a loading jag for the Fury bullets, is flush to the end of the barrel when carried in the ferrules. When the barrel has a charge in it the rod will extend about 2" past the end of the barrel and I'll use a simple pusher made of a 2" wood ball with a shallow 3/8" hole drilled in it. I won't put a permanent witness mark on this rod until I have had adequate time to test several powders and determine a loaded column height, and then I'll use tape. Currently the IMR 4198 charge is at 56 grains. I have 5744 at 30 grains and plan to try N110 at 32-35 grains and both of the lighter charges will have different charge heights so I might have to re-thing the rod length for hunting and possibly just take it out of the gun while in the stand.

I checked out aluminum rod stock locally and its not that expensive for a 30" length and a friend will chuck it up and drill and tap it for the jag for nothing so I may go that route for a semi-custom rod once I settle on a smokeless load, but shooting that gun is a hoot and might take me a few years to determine just what I like. lol

My new Optima V2, also came with the solid ram rod with only one end threaded. I to, called CVA and was told " that's the way we do it now ". I told him that raised heck on some of my hollow points when loading, if it;s not placed directly "square" over the hollow point. I asked him, " it wasn't broke - why did you fix it ? No answer. I said, I bet you'll be getting a lot of questions about this . He agreed. Biggamehunter7, has a good solution.

I don't understand why my CVA Wolf ramrod is so short, it totally disappears into the barrel. Why wouldn't they make it long enough to actually be useful without having to add on the extension? On top of that, the palm saver has to be removed in order to use the extension. I wonder if the engineer that came up with this is still employeed by CVA. So frustrating.
Newbie here..I just bought a Wolf V2 and totally confused with the ram rod. I watched you tube videos and it shows the guys loading the bullet using the black end over the bullet. This was on two different videos.. is this correct? The box included a jag extender that only screws into the jag end and the palm saver is a different thread..so which end do I use to push the bullet in?

The jag tool works for cleaning the barrel. It goes on the threaded brass capped end. But if both ends are threaded and brass capped then it doesn’t really matter which end you use. Don’t use the wood rod to try and pull out a bullet though.

Yeah the ram rods seem short. But the rod should protrude some when the gun is loaded with powder and a bullet. Put a mark on the ram rod to help note when the gun is loaded with powder and bullet. Thus unloaded it would just drop all the way in of course.

I typically just use the wood ram rod more for decoration anymore. I use a resin fiber filled rod or a metal rod instead. I make it longer so that it sticks out farther under the barrel too. Plus I use a bullet starter tool as well.

The older ramrods (2016ish) were threaded both ends. Pull the palmsaver, thread on the extension or the loading jag, pretty quick follow up. The newer/cheaper/worthless ramrods are threaded only in the jag/palmsaver end. Pull the palmsaver, unthread it, thread on the extension or a loading jag on the jag end, flip it and push the now unattached palm saver on the open end of the rod. Stupid, cheap, pathetic.

CVA 👎🏻.

Also, on break action rifles the rod cannot be long enough to fit the length of the bore and fit under the barrel on the pivot lug. They’re all like that.

A friend has just bought a CVA Wolf, He is looking to me for help him since I know a little more than he does and a member of this forum. We are both perplexed by the ram rod that came with it. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem.? Biggamehunter 7 Seems to have a good answer, should I advise my friend to buy a spin jag? Thanks in Advance for any suggestions you might have. THANK_YOU

A friend has just bought a CVA Wolf, He is looking to me for help him since I know a little more than he does and a member of this forum. We are both perplexed by the ram rod that came with it. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem.? Biggamehunter 7 Seems to have a good answer, should I advise my friend to buy a spin jag? Thanks in Advance for any suggestions you might have. THANK_YOU
Get a giRamrod with a spin jag . Versatile, both ends threaded.

Back