CVA Wolf - Help me Pull the Trigger

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug2020

Reaction score
Morning,

I am looking to buy my first muzzleloader for the purpose of using it in an extended deer season (Canada).
Based on price and availability I have narrowed the rifle down to a Wolf CVA.
I have a couple questions that would really help my purchase making decisions regarding the muzzleloader, scope, ammo and powder.

An important note when answering these questions is that as of right now I am just looking for an easy way to get into muzzle loading and learn the basics and get out hunting.
I have organized my questions below for clarity purposes:

Powder/Bullet
I have already decided that I want to stick with the pre formed powder pellets for ease of use.
Later on I may switch to loose powder for experimenting but for now I want simplicity.

-Will any of the Wolf CVA's accept the pellets without needing to buy a new breach plug?
-Hunting will be done under 100 yards. Without buying a ton of different ammo to experiment with what Pellets/Bullet combo is suggest? I am not looking to make a tack driver out of this rifle right now, I am looking to be able to consistently make a hunting effective group out to 100 yards (realistically most shots will be within 60 yards, thick bush)

Rings
The Wolf I am looking at comes with factory rings installed.
I will likely be putting a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 or 1-4. I want to keep my magnification low and the scope on a budget.
-Are these any good or is this something that needs to be replaced (ie they loosen up)?
-I believe these are 1" rings so my optic choice has to reflect this, is this correct?

Stainless/Black
From a cost savings perspective I am leaning towards the all black version. ($280 for black $350 for stainless)
-Is there any advantages for the stainless or should I just save the money and go with the black

Any help with my questions would be appreciated.
Looking forward to this muzzleloader journey, this year may be just a budget Wolf with pellets and budget ammo, next year may be fine tuning powder and accuracy tests.

Thanks!

That's a good choice, a low powered MUZZLE LOADING scope (the eye relief is a bit longer) is right on. Go with the black but keep it cleaned, inside and out, you don't want rust.
Try a .44JHP bullet with a .50 sabot and one 30 grain and one 50 grain pellet (making 80 grains) as a load. I use this load in my Wolf rifle and it shoots really well, I have it dialed in at 100 yards but like you most of my shots are well inside of that.

I know you say you don't need a tack driver, but you never know when a big buck will step out further than you planned.

I would personally advise against pellets, you just don't have the wiggle room to develop a good load for your rifle. Loose is really not a big hassle (after all every shot from a ML is handloaded anyway), once you find out what your gun likes carry pre measured shot in vials in the field and you're set.

My inline shoots tightest groups with 120gr, I wouldn't have got there with pellets.

I've really like the performance of 240gr Magnum XTP bullets but have recently bought up a heap of Hornady 250gr Monoflex. Haven't tried them on game yet, but yet to hear bad reviews.

The Ring Scope Size is for your Scope not your Rifle for the rifle are Base
Don

Powder or bullet? loose Powder, Triple 7 FFg or FFFG pellets too inconsistent in weight. Scope/rings. ALL Cva mounts are 1", your rings need to be 1" as well. Don't know where you got your prices you quoted unless from suggested msrp. Wolf muzzleloaders sell for far less than that. I just checked at muzzle-loaders.com and they sale stainless wolf for 219.00. I would go stainless. Gives you a surface a bit more rust proof with proper care. Welcome to muzzleloading, this is just the beginning, have fun. TC

I have an Optima and my daughter has the Wolf both SS. I did not buy either with the factory scope mount, just the iron sights. I personally believe any included accessory such as a scope mount, is of lower quality than a good aftermarket. It's just economics, cheap mount to get the gun out the door. As for the rear factory iron sight, well, it sits too far forward for my liking. And I just like peeps.
I bought the Picatinny scope base with an integral peep from EA Brown for about $60 giving the option to use an optic with a QD set of rings or the peep if the scope should happen to go haywire, or during MZ season where optics are not allowed.

As for pellet/breech plug you are good to go.

PRB should be Minute of Pie Plate (MOPP) @ 100 yards if using a light load. Saboted bullets are very accurate running 2- 50 gr. pellets. Snapbang gave me some T/C cheapshots to try and they are surprisingly accurate, unfortunately, I cannot use them to hunt with in Kalifornia.
I have also tried the Powerbelts and they shoot fine, but some have had bad experiences on game with them. When I hunt I will be using a Barnes bullet.

Last edited:
I have the Optima that came with the Durasight mount and it works just fine. Never an issue. The gun wears a sih Sightron scope. Good settup.

The Wolf is a good choice. A light, accurate, easy to clean gun.
Stock breech plug is made for pellets but will also work with loose powder, except BH 209.
Scope mount is 1".
Buy one pack of pellets and see how accurate the load is. You could get lucky. Just use 2 pellets.
Barnes T-EZ bullets is a safe choice.

The Wolf is a good choice. A light, accurate, easy to clean gun.
Stock breech plug is made for pellets but will also work with loose powder, except BH 209.
Scope mount is 1".
Buy one pack of pellets and see how accurate the load is. You could get lucky. Just use 2 pellets.
Barnes T-EZ bullets is a safe choice.

Spot on Muley......just to add on, Hodgdon Tripple 7 pellets will work well and also look at Harvester sabot/ bullet combo’s (260 or 300 grain) as they are fairly inexpensive and both my CVA & Traditions shoot moa at 100 yards with loose or pellets with these and the Barnes Muley mentioned.
Winchester triple 7 primers #209 have also been reliable for me when shooting the pellets.

If you can afford the stainless it would be easier to care for.

Scope, go with a muzzleloader specific scope with good eye relief.

Good luck and enjoy!

Powder or bullet? loose Powder, Triple 7 FFg or FFFG pellets too inconsistent in weight. Scope/rings. ALL Cva mounts are 1", your rings need to be 1" as well. Don't know where you got your prices you quoted unless from suggested msrp. Wolf muzzleloaders sell for far less than that. I just checked at muzzle-loaders.com and they sale stainless wolf for 219.00. I would go stainless. Gives you a surface a bit more rust proof with proper care. Welcome to muzzleloading, this is just the beginning, have fun. TC

The prices were in Canadian, everything is expensive here.

Ended up ordering a stainless that was on sale with the built in scope mount.

I think I will end up putting a Vortex Crossfire 2-7 on it to start. 3.9” eye relief I think that’s enough but don’t know?

As for powder I like the idea of starting with pellets and seeing what sort of group I get. Bought the gun now way in advance of the season in Dec so I have lots of time to tinker.

Thanks for all the helpful tips

Where is your guys go to store or website to buy from? Bullets, powder/pellets, and accessories. Just got my first ML and I live in MN btw.

Latest posts

Back