CZ 457 Varmint MTR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Curious to see if anyone has handled, shot, or has one of these, Or possibly the At-One version. I like the forend on the MTR for bench shooting. The Grip is rather odd looking to me though.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-mtr/

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/

Looking at these as a possibility for a Rifle to shoot club smallbore matches. I normally would prefer an Anschutz but they have taken to putting only 2 stage triggers in their rifles and I hate 2 stage triggers with a passion. :(

My experience is only handling one in a store. The stocks appearance isn't that appealing to look at but it certainly has a pretty good feel. I would like to look at an At One also. While I still prefer 452s I may break down and get one of 457s eventually.

Thanks firedawg. Have you seen the At-One?

I have never seen a CZ of any kind in person. I agree that the pistol grip is a very odd design.o_O IF I had designed it I would have made it a straight line from the pistol grip all the way back to the toe of the buttplate. I do like the look of the rest of the stock especially the forend. The only change I would make there is to eliminate the stippling on the bottom of the forend, but it is a .22LR so it should not present much of an issue with recoil.

Did you get to work the bolt or Pull the trigger? I saw one video online and the guy worked the bolt some and seemed like it worked pretty smooth for him. So far no one around me has one that was open for me to ask today.

The At-One is also interesting just wish it had the forend of the MTR with the flat bottom. Can't tell how wide the stock is on this one. I do like that they list one with a 24" barrel over the 16".

Haven't seen an At One yet in a store. Hope to see one soon as I like the look and features. I agree the rest of the MTR looks good and the pistol grip does have a sweet feel, but I have a hard time getting past the grip appearance. 13.75" lop is normally just a fraction too long for my tastes but it felt about right shouldering it. It should be a great bench rifle with the flat fore end, grip feel, and match chamber for the price. I didnt dry fire it so no comment on the trigger but the bolt was smooth. Disclaimer, I have never handled or shot an Anchutz so can't compare.

Thanks firedawg. I have one Anschutz but it is a sporter (my squirrel rifle) its only about 30 years old and looks almost new. Harvested many Nut Eaters with it.;)
I have also shot a couple others. I had a Savage/Anschutz made in 1962 but it had some issues so it went away. Then I got a 64SBR and had it for a while. It shot great but I had a real hard time with the 2 stage trigger messing me up on groups. I sold it and have regretted it since. Now you can't get one except in 17HMR. Not sure what Anschutz was thinking there. Looking at the Anschutz web site almost every thing they sell now has that 2 stage trigger, including a lot of sporters. That's why I am looking at other options. I would still look at another Anschutz If I could find one with a single stage trigger, but they are getting hard to find a good used one. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone that made an aftermarket trigger for the Anschutz.:(

What kind of groups do you get with the sporter? How far away is the closest CZ dealer? Two stage triggers don't bother me too much as I am used to them on Garands, 03s, and ARs, but it would take a while to get used to them on a rimfire.

I think the test target is still on the back wall of my safe but have no pics of targets I have shot. I used to be able to shoot groups (similar to the test target) you could easily cover with a dime at 50 yards but due to my aging eyes its not as good anymore. It had a Leupold compact 6x on it since the day I got it but that has proven to not be enough scope for me anymore. I find I need more scope even for squirrel hunting.:( I plan to replace it with a 4x12 or 4.5x14. I just took the 6x off and put a 24x weaver target scope in it to play around with some Target/match ammo. Was thinking of using it in a Postal Match the club has started. They have been after me lately to shoot in the small bore match's that they have (Several of them a year). The Club is big on smallbore and Highpower matches. We have a Pretty good group that competes at Camp Perry every year. The real problem with my rifle for matches is that it is hard to really shoot tight groups due to the forend, it is pretty slender and has the Schnabel forend, so it will roll on the rest if you not careful. This one has not been cataloged in a Long time. I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow.

My problem with the 2 stage trigger was just me. I shot in registered IBS Benchrest matches for several years and all my rifles had Jewel 1.5oz single stage triggers. I got so spoiled to them that pulling a 2 stage trigger was maddening for me waiting for the release. The 64 SBR had a 2 stage trigger that adjusted down to just under 7oz. I just did not think anything about the 2 stage aspect of it when I ordered it. With the 64 SBR I would get 2 or 3 in a single hole and then loose the next one or 2, usually up vertically from basically punching the trigger. So it just got in my head and messed with it trying to pay attention to it.:wall: I wish I had just kept working with it but I got aggravated after a bad range day and down the road it went.:( I had even emailed Anschutz and had some back and forth emails with one of their techs but it just did not help.

There are a 3 dealers here listed on the CZ web site. One of them I know don't have either rifle, was just there a week ago. The other 2 I have not been to in quite some time so plan to call them both this week, they were closed to day. There is one about 90 miles away that was open but when I called they did not have either one of them. He even laughed when I asked if he happened to have a used Anschutz, said he "had not seen one in a Long time".

I hope you can find a shop or two than has some samples, even if not an At One or a MTR, so you can get a good feel for CZs in general. At least you would be able to get a feel for the fit, ergonomics, and finish. I believe they are a lot of bang for the buck, especially the American, Lux, etc models. I would like to see some Anchutz locally but can never recall seeing one.

Mine are bone stock and generally shoot around a half inch at 50, mostly a little under, with several different types of decent ammo. Since I shoot for fun I haven't bothered with high grade ammo or rifle bedding, pillars and such. Maybe I will after retirement when I hopefully will have more time to play.

The 457s are supposed to have fully adjustable triggers, but I haven't read up on them much to see how they perform and how low they can be adjusted to.

I just called the 2 shops that were closed. Neither have the MTR. Both have a 16.5" barreled At-One, one quoted me $629. If the weather is bad this weekend I might take a ride to look at one of them, but I don't really want the 16". There is also a 24" version of it too. One also had a 457 Pro, but the SKU number he gave me shows just a heavy barred Varmint model with a classic style stock.
In one forum I saw on when I was searching the net several said they got the new adjustable trigger down to a crisp 1lb. That would be good. So the hunt still continues. Not really in a rush.

Here is my Anschutz 1416D Custom (the "Custom" was the designation for the rifles that had the Schnabel forend). Not sure how long ago they dropped it from the catalog. it's hard to see in the pic but the bottom of the forend thins down as you get to the bottom. Feels great for a hunting rifle, not so much in a rest as it wants to roll some. That's not the usual scope. I just put the Weaver 24x on to play with ammo but may just swap it back. You can see it has one little nick in it. Other wise it looks almost new and its at least 30 years old.:D

upload_2019-7-1_17-22-25.jpeg

Let us know what you think of the At One if you get to handle one. That Anchutz shore is a pretty gal.

I bought a 457 MTR back in March. I don't do any small bore target leagues so take my opinion for what it's worth; the paper it's written on. I would buy an Anschutz for any league shooting. I love the trigger but offhand I believe it needs more weight to hold steady. PS...I am old and nothing is real steady anymore. Only shot 30 shells through it. I bought mine at a Scheels Store.

Hi Viking,

Thanks for the post. I too am not the most steady offhand shooter either. My Club shoots will let you shoot any position, they just separate you in groups (for scoring) like Offhand, Prone, F-Class, Bench etc. My primary use would be shooting off rear bag and a Hart Front rest, so a stock more oriented to shooting from the bench is what I most want. How do you find the MTR when shooting from the bags on the bench? Since the forend is flat and the bottom of the butt looked flat it seems it should sit in the bags good. Did you adjust your trigger any, and any idea what weight it is set at? How was it grouping for you so far?

So far I have yet to find one in a shop I can go look at. They are calling for a wet weekend here so I am planning to go look at one of the At-One versions that I located this weekend. Both shops have one in 16.5 inch, but if I liked it I would have to order one to get the 24" barrel. So mostly going to look at the At-One stock and get a first hand look at the action. The MTR is a bit more appealing to me as it looks like it would be more stable shooting from the bench.

Well I did not get to look at the At-One today those were in shops on Western Long Island but I did get to see an MTR in shop on Eastern Long Island. Had to go to the club to day to make a couple repairs and one of the other member's showed up to shoot a 457 American Sporter. Man what a nice rifle that was! Bolt function was very smooth. Had a great stock on it too. Fit and finish was very nice. Then another member showed up with a 453 (IF I recall right) and it has a single stage set trigger. That was a sweet trigger! :drooling: Shame they don't make it anymore from what I can tell. Could not believe my lock getting to see 2 version before ever heading to a shop.

Once I got home to put my tools away I had decided to go to the western shops but remembered a shop I very rarely go to as he is usually much more expensive. He is also a good way out east of me so was in the opposite direction of the others. Called them anyway and low and behold they had an MTR on the shelf, but no At-One, so East I went. I was actually quite impressed with it. Surprisingly the Funky pistol grip did not bother me any, lik ei had thought it would, and was not as bad looking in person. The Bottom of the butt stock was flat from the grip to the recoil pad which is nice and would ride the bag well, had a little curve to it and would have been better if it was straight from grip to pad. The Forend was a fair amount wider than I expected from the pictures, another plus for me. Would really like to have seen them leave the stippling off the bottom of the forend though. The more vertical grip was also nice, and I could easily reach the trigger. Again a real slick operating bolt too. The other thing I was surprised at was the diameter of the 20.5" barrel, was much more beefy than I expected, on a production 22lr.:cool: They don't let you try the trigger, no snap cap or spent shell available, so can't comment on it. It is a pleasantly hefty rifle, not one I would carry to the woods but should be real nice from the bench which is what I am looking for. They had it priced at $770 and the MSRP is $457, like I said they are usually a bit high on their stuff IMHO. I plan to go to the other 2 shops next Saturday and look at one of the At-One's to compare the stocks. Those are both 16.5" barreled models and that short of a barrel don't interest me but the stock is more what I want to see. I also want to see if there is a difference in barrel diameters. At the moment I am leaning toward the MTR though. These were the first CZ rifles I have ever seen in person and I was pretty impressed so far.:thumb:

The 452 American I had before that tragic boat accident was one of my favorite rifles and would have been one of the last to be sold. I stupidly did sell a 453 Varmint. The trigger adjusted nicely in both regular and SST pulls. I thought you would have a favorable opinion of the MTR and CZs in general. Like I said before, a lot of rifle for the money. MSRP on the MTR is $752, so he is a little high.

I have read reports where the 457 trigger can be adjusted down to a pound or so and also be pretty crisp.

I feel the same about my Anschutz. It will never get sold and most likely be passed to my Nephew when I'm done with it. I would have loved to have either of those 2 the guys had. Not sure why I never saw one before now. I read the same about the triggers. One said he got his safely down to 8oz. That's a little surprising for a Production Trigger. That SST trigger was Sweet. That I would have loved to have. The same guy had a Savage/Anschutz to sell but I was late to the party on it, it was sold before I heard. That's my luck!

I have two CZ rifles.
This is a CZ 527 American, It has a set trigger. The regular trigger is 3 pounds crisp and exact.

wU0fbfo.jpg

This is a 100 yard target with 60 gr noslers.

dxinLvr.jpg

I also have a CZ 455 varmint.

yT4PoWH.jpg

XMZDvlG.jpg

tKL0yeZ.jpg

tAeouEG.jpg

My CZ 455 is a 17HMR. I had some guns stolen a little over a year ago. I replaced my rifles with these. The 455 had a piss poor trigger in it when I bought it. I replaced it with a Timney

LHojz7a.jpg

The timney trigger is crisp and drops at 3 pounds. This rifle is very accurate this is a 100 yard 3 shot group.

cZNCoRC.jpg

A mouse fart will blow the groups all over. This is a 300 yard group.

QVamSyl.jpg

The farthest I have shot a chuck is 238 yards.

VFibr92.jpg

The CZ 457 is supposed to be a serious up grade. The action is shorter, and the bolt throw has been reduced to help with mounting large ocular scopes. The trigger is supposed to be really better. I have not been able to see a 457 in person yet. There is a company that makes a 20 and 30 MOA base for them.
https://www.area419.com/product/cz455-scopebase/
All CZ's use a dovetail. Leupold makes the ones I use on my 527. I am using a BKL one piece mount for bolt guns. I think they will work on the 457 too.

kl2aP8c.jpg

I would like to get a 457 Varmint or MTR. The barrels are interchangeable with the 455. You can get a 17 HMR rifle and a barrel that is a 22 mag so you can have a switch barrel gun.
I have been told that the 22 LR is super accurate with the right bullets. The 17HMR is not in the same league because there is no match grade ammo.
As far as varmint hunting goes the 17HMR kicks A$$. After shooting my 455 for a season on chucks I would not hesitate to buy another. They are awesome.

Thanks Ron! Hey Hows the Foot? Hope it is doing better.

You confirm what I have been reading so far, and what Firedawg has told me.:cool: I really was quite impressed with the MTR. The Guy at the club (Bill) showed me his had a plastic mag in it but every thing I had been reading said the 457 came with a steel mag. The MTR I looked at did have a Steel mag, I pulled it out and checked. I could have sworn he said his was a 457 but maybe I misunderstood or he mis-spoke. Either way he and the other guy (Frank) both said they shot fantastic. I think Bill said his really liked Eley Edge ammo. Bill said the Trigger on his broke clean and crisp at 3# but I would see just how low it would safely go. I like them light. Got spoiled shooting 1.5oz Jewels in my Br rifles so heavy triggers drive me nuts now.:wall:

I've thought about a .17HMR but since this is mostly to shoot club Matches it needs to be a 22lr.

I did see mention of the switch barrel capabilities but forgot to ask about that. How is the barrels secured to the action. Are they clamped or do they just slip in and have a retaining screw? Do you get the barrels direct from CZ?

What diameter is the Objective lens on that 17HMR? That mount looks sort of tall. but works with that one. I plan to mount up a Weaver 24x Target scope on the one I get. I do have a set of Steel Rings that fit the Dovetail, but will look into that mount you show. That is a cool looking rail and even has a built in bubble level.

I have not had the chance to shoot chucks in a long time now. Last 2 I got ran about 18lb (Brothers). I got them with a .221Fireball. I used go with my cousins in Ohio but we have not done it in several years now. Last Varmint hunting I did was to spend 3 days on a Ranch 55 miles out of Malta MT shooting Prairie dogs 10 years ago. Man Time Fly's whether we're having fun or not!:(

My ankle is pretty messed up. I had surgery on it about 4 weeks ago. I have been off work since June 7th. I will be off until the 22nd. I know one thing I am not going to go back to work in the same place.
The barrel slips into the receiver and there are screws that lock it in. I have read that a few guys are using retaining compound to glue them in for a more semi permanent bond. There are many makers for these barrels. The scope is a vortex 6x18-44 ao. The Bolt rotates up really high. Most guys with the 455's have to use high mounts because of the bolt handle. I get a solid cheek weld with it. But everyone's different so your mileage may vary.
That problem was fixed with the 457 when they changed the throw on the bolt, It rotates less than the 455 does. Along with the backwards safety being changed. My safety is like a backwards Winchester safety. The new one is more like a Remington style.
The area 419 rail has either 20 or 30 MOA built into it for stretching its legs. The area 419 is the best rail I have seen.

I have a part time job shooting chucks. Most of them I shot with my air rifle.
This year I have killed 601.
My air rifle is an Air Arms TX200 22cal. It has a vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 scope with side focus. That thing is wicked accurate. 20190520_174448.jpg

Hope the Ankle heals up good! I to too just had surgery (Parathyroid) but not as bad as yours. Almost healed up but am back to work, was actually only off about a week, just had to be careful.

Now thats a part time Job I would like to have! Some real Pigs in that group.:lewis:

I did see all the talk about the bolt, guess it just still did not click about he taller mount. Now I get it. The MTR was pretty much like a Browning I had with the bolt throw. Real nice and should be able to use Med mounts. The Rings I have fit the 11mm dovetail and are High's. normally they work pretty good with that large Target scope. i am starting to feel a Real itch for a CZ now!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back