Darkening a Stainless Renegade???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis would you use your barrel cleaning method, as described in your video, after performing this procedure to remove any debris/ deburr material?

Yep I definitely do! I started using GOJO Hand Cleaner WITHOUT Pumice, just the Smooth Original One, This stuff Cuts Grease out of a Barrel like NOBODY’S Business :lewis: The Montana Extreme Bore Polish will Turn BLACK as it Polishes

Here is a Video i did on GOJO Hand Cleaner. A problem we have after shooting Grease Groove Bullets, Some believe its “Flash Rust” And it’s possible in Some Cases, But i can tell you for a FACT that it can also be Bullet Lube, I deal with it Regularly, My Borescope has taught me a LOT about what goes on in my Bores! GOJO Hand Cleaner Cuts the Grease Clean in just a Few Passes, You will then Pull COTTON WHITE Patches :lewis:

Yep I definitely do! I started using GOJO Hand Cleaner WITHOUT Pumice, just the Smooth Original One, This stuff Cuts Grease out of a Barrel like NOBODY’S Business :lewis: The Montana Extreme Bore Polish will Turn BLACK as it Polishes

Here is a Video i did on GOJO Hand Cleaner. A problem we have after shooting Grease Groove Bullets, Some believe its “Flash Rust” And it’s possible in Some Cases, But i can tell you for a FACT that it can also be Bullet Lube, I deal with it Regularly, My Borescope has taught me a LOT about what goes on in my Bores! GOJO Hand Cleaner Cuts the Grease Clean in just a Few Passes, You will then Pull COTTON WHITE Patches :lewis:

Ya know Lewis i admire a guy that knows what you know hands on . That IS so very impressive . You didnt throw your wallet at it for somebody else to get Their hands dirty then brag . You didnt Merely buy it then proclaim it Best . Youve come up with stuff through thought , dedication , hands on craftmanship , brilliant inovation & imageination and hard work blended with a deep passion that only but a few will ever know . Hats off to you my friend , You da Man . I mean that with the utmost in respect and honor as well . What and How you share it All , merely proves my point..........

Awe inspireing and quite humbleing at the same time . You , ...are a Blessing.....

Last edited:
Ya know Lewis i admire a guy that knows what you know hands on . That IS so very impressive . You didnt throw your wallet at it for somebody else to get Their hands dirty then brag . You didnt Merely buy it then proclaim it Best . Youve come up with stuff through thought , dedication , hands on craftmanship , brilliant inovation & imageination and hard work blended with a deep passion that only but a few will ever know . Hats off to you my friend , You da Man . I mean that with the utmost in respect and honor as well . What and How you share it All , merely proves my point..........

Awe inspireing and quite humbleing at the same time . You , ...are a Blessing.....

Thank you once again for the kind words Sideshow!

I put forth a Substantial amount of time Tinkering with this Stuff, there isn’t much I haven’t done in the Hobby. Truth is, i get as much, if not more enjoyment helping others in this Hobby as i do myself. This is why i Share EVERYTHING i do on these Forums (mainly this one) If i can inspire someone to Grab up a Muzzleloader, Teach them Techniques on using it, How to get the ABSOLUTE Most out of it, And how to Properly Care for it when they are done shooting it. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED :lewis:

I am just about to do something similar, But Different :) My stuff is going Cerakote, I found a Local Guy here that does it. You could ship that Barrel Back here to Idaho to this Guy. Give me a little bit and I Will have My Stuff Back from him, i will do a Review on it :lewis:

He does AWESOME Work!! Check out his Gallery
https://eaglegunworksfinishing.com/
Hello Lewis. Thanks for the referral. Talked to Al from eagle today 10/27/10. Very helpful, says they can remove the awful camo cerakote and recoat with just about any color or combination of colors and eagle has many to chose from. Looks like they can do a turnaround in about one month. How did your project turn out?

I would only nitride a brand spanking new barrel. BlackIce is external only and very attractive.

Another option is keep it SS but bead blast it to a dull satin finish. Sort of a acid etched look. My GMB 54-120 has this very dull matte SS finish. Not exactly sure how its done. There is even a type of parkerizing that looks like dull SS.
I think most satin stainless finishes are soda blasted, but not 100% sure

Hello Lewis. Thanks for the referral. Talked to Al from eagle today 10/27/10. Very helpful, says they can remove the awful camo cerakote and recoat with just about any color or combination of colors and eagle has many to chose from. Looks like they can do a turnaround in about one month. How did your project turn out?

After talking more to him, his wait time was more than i had patience for So I ended up doing it myself, It turned out Good. I found an Appliance Paint that matched identical, or at least so close that I cannot tell a Difference, I painted the Blued Tang, It is Holding like a Rock :lewis: I would stil like to have some Cerakote stuff done by Eagle, he is close by, only 30 minutes at the most from me.

I am sending eagle my investarms 45 cal hawken for the “midnight elite” coating. They will remove the green camo cerakote and recoat. I will post results and photos. If all goes well I have other projects in mind.

Get some Birchwood Casey Rust and blue remover and some steel wool. Rubber gloves and eye protection too.
Its muriatic/ hydrochloric acid. I've noticed when using it on blued steel, it gives a darker, matte silver due to the etching effect of the acid and ( perhaps) the dissolved steel wool contributes to the effect. It turns steel to a battleship gray color. I used to wet the steel wool with the solution and scrub the metal until I got the desired effect..
Might work on stainless as well. Maybe take a bit longer.
Good fortune to ya

not what you looking for but i had a shotgun stashed inside a walk in smokehouse and forgot about it for a couple years. stock and barrel have a good cold smoke finish. i think it got smoked 6 times. single shot goose gun. it still shoots good.

I am sending eagle my investarms 45 cal hawken for the “midnight elite” coating. They will remove the green camo cerakote and recoat. I will post results and photos. If all goes well I have other projects in mind.

COOL Deal!! I am Looking forward to seeing it :lewis:

Latest posts

Back