Didn't know Sabots are so temperamental

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
One of the new shooters from this past weekend, sent me this tonight.. I didn't know this, but then again I don't shoot sabots.
Nov. issue of Outdoor Life.

Attachments

• Nov OL temp.jpg
    Nov OL temp.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 551
I was under the impression that since the polymer formula was changed that the newer sabots aren't affected to much like the old ones. But I imagine enough heat and any plastic is gonna be affected to some degree .

1874sharpsshooter said:
I was under the impression that since the polymer formula was changed that the newer sabots aren't affected to much like the old ones. But I imagine enough heat and any plastic is gonna be affected to some degree .

I can't even load my ML when the barrel is warm or the sabot is compromised enough that I get fliers. It has been one of the most frustrating parts of my ML career trying to diagnose barrel heat issues when trying to work up a load down here in the heat and humidity.

I was also wondering if some powders (or quantity) were part of the problem with barrel heat?

Yes I shoot BH209 in large loads and it creates more heat due to its longer burn rate. My goto load in my 50 is a Hornady 265 FTX in a MMP Green on top of 120 gr. BH 209 in 80 degree weather 3 shots with 5 minutes between will cause the fourth to fail.

Interesting. With 100gr loads of BH, I've shot up to like 15 shots (in summer heat) with just about 5 minutes between shots with no ill effect. Bullets have been 250gr or less not sure if this matters or not. Maybe.

What sabot are you using? I hear the Harvester sabots hold up better to higher temps, I bought a pack to try but still haven't yet. I bought a 45 Elite and then a MK-95 54 cal and my 50 has sat since.

When I lived up North I used MMP sabots and they work quite well when I moved to central AR I found that I had to switch to Harvester because in the temperatures here the MMP were turning inside out.
I believe that this is the area in which improvement could be made as when it is over a 100 degrees [which is normal for part of the year here]we can not shoot with out getting fliers.

.This is nothing new . Sabot blowing and heat causing fliers has been a problem for years . 20 years ago I had problems loosing accuracy due to barrel heat when I was shooting 70 grains of FFF Black and a 250 grain bullet with sabot . This is why 99 percent of the smokless world or guys that are looking for extreme accuracy have .45s and shoot sabotless with heavy lead or copper plated bullets.

WV Hunter said:
Interesting. With 100gr loads of BH, I've shot up to like 15 shots (in summer heat) with just about 5 minutes between shots with no ill effect. Bullets have been 250gr or less not sure if this matters or not. Maybe.

I'm more or less with you on this. What I do know is you need ample time to let the barrel cool down before reloading, and if that means walking to the target and back, do it. I've shot up to 50 rounds in summer heat using BH209 and Barnes 250gr TMZ bullets and as long as you allow ample time for the barrel to cool, I've had no issues. I've spent many a hot summer day on the range with the BP Xpress with no ill affects, but the barrel was always allowed to cool down between every shot. I don't, but some guys actually use cooling rods.
I've never found or seen a blown out sabot base, even with heavy charges from the Ultimate.

Some interesting information. Kinda makes me wonder too if it makes a difference how long that sabot might sit loaded in a warmer barrel before being fired. I’ve had a few times that my barrel was allowed to cool down to a “warm”, and I loaded, and maybe a guy at the range wants to come chit chat for a couple minutes... THEN I’m able to take aim and fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only shoot conicals with Black Powder, either PP or GG. I'm usually in the 500gr range for a bullet and 65-90gr with a powder charge (around 12-1300fps). I've shot many 15 shot matches at Friendship in the 45 min relays (most times I'm done in about 35 minutes), my barrel is warm - but not too warm to grasp - even in June when the temp and humidity is well above 80.
This is why I mentioned powder before - if one is pushing a bullet faster with more powder - they are obviously creating more pressure and friction = heat.

A sabot is always the weakest link. Sending 15 rounds in 35 minutes, with temps in the 80's using sabots, would be extremely tough at distance, even with reduced charges IMO. Saboted rounds just won't come even close to land riding bullets without ample cooling of the barrel.

Sabots must be better than they use to be . Last weekend I shot in a Match in Tennessee. I would say probably 90 percent of the shooters shot sabots . Most were shooting Blackhorn 209 with approx 90 grains by volume with a 200 grain bullet out of .45s . This match had a max distance of 200 yards . I was impressed how well that combination worked . Barry Blakewell ? Not sure on last name .( a Knight representative and staff shooter ) was sighting in a .45 for his grandson . He wanted me to shoot a 3 shot group at 50 yards with this set up ( 90 grains by volume Blackhorn 209 Harvester crush rib sabot with a 200 grain Hornady SST out of a .45 Knight ) he was already shooting the gun then loaded the gun for me to shoot . This was only 50 yards but I was able to put 3 shots in the same hole . One shot after the next . Needless to say I could never get sabots to shoot that good years ago . Barry told me that 90 grains of Blackhorn by volume is kind of a sweet spot load for Knight Rifles . In a. 45 or .50 with 200 to 250 grain bullets . I was very impressed how well those guys shot sabots in Tennessee. Another interesting fact Barry along with most of the shooters made their loads by volume.

Great group of guys if anyone would have a chance to shoot in that match it's well worth the time . Excellent group of guys, very laid back atmosphere . It was a very good time I will definitely be back.

In my Accura V2 I shoot 77 grains, weighed, [110 by volume] of 209, a green crush rib and a 300 grain XTP. I shoot in three shot sets that take maybe 12 minutes from load-up to last of the three shots in the series. The gun gets a 15 to 20 minute cool down with the breech plug out while I shoot a different gun, maybe a .22 or the Optima pistol. By the end of three shots in the rifle the barrel is quite warm but certainly not hot and I have shot as many as five consecutive rounds in that 12 minutes with no real issues with accuracy.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Sabots must be better than they use to be . Last weekend I shot in a Match in Tennessee. I would say probably 90 percent of the shooters shot sabots . Most were shooting Blackhorn 209 with approx 90 grains by volume with a 200 grain bullet out of .45s . This match had a max distance of 200 yards . I was impressed how well that combination worked . Barry Blakewell ? Not sure on last name .( a Knight representative and staff shooter ) was sighting in a .45 for his grandson . He wanted me to shoot a 3 shot group at 50 yards with this set up ( 90 grains by volume Blackhorn 209 Harvester crush rib sabot with a 200 grain Hornady SST out of a .45 Knight ) he was already shooting the gun then loaded the gun for me to shoot . This was only 50 yards but I was able to put 3 shots in the same hole . One shot after the next . Needless to say I could never get sabots to shoot that good years ago . Barry told me that 90 grains of Blackhorn by volume is kind of a sweet spot load for Knight Rifles . In a. 45 or .50 with 200 to 250 grain bullets . I was very impressed how well those guys shot sabots in Tennessee. Another interesting fact Barry along with most of the shooters made their loads by volume.

Great group of guys if anyone would have a chance to shoot in that match it's well worth the time . Excellent group of guys, very laid back atmosphere . It was a very good time I will definitely be back.

Sabots are MUCH better than they used to be. The loads I shot from Encore platform rifles were 107grs volume of BH209 and 250gr bullets. However it is still best to let the barrel cool. The guy you're talking about is Barry Brakebill.

Latest posts

Back