Dipping a Laminate Stock???(pics added 2_10_11)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkKnight

Reaction score
I just got a good deal on this laminate stock and I want to make it black. I found this on another site posted by FrontierGander and was wondering what you all think?

CIMG1531.JPG

http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/slick-gun-stock-plasti-dip-it.html

How will this stuff stick to the laminate stock? What kind of prep work should I take? A very light sanding perhaps?

Dave

***Update 2_10_11.

After getting this stock cleaned up and on the gun I am definitely not going to be altering the stock(it's way too nice to mess with). I may however go with re-finishing the Express forearm to possibly match. Here are some new pics, let me know what you think.

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Just a thought....you could remove the clear coat/varnish then try seeing if you could get a dark ebony type stain to soak into the laminate. then just reapply a clear coat or tru oil. It would darken the color if thats the reason you want to change it and would still show the laminates grain.

That would look nice. Just barely being able to see the laminate might look really good. Quite a bit of sanding but you could even use that as an excuse for a more custom fit. :D

I got the stock on and it really looks pretty good as is with the black sync forearm. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

DarkKnight said:
I got the stock on and it really looks pretty good as is with the black sync forearm. I'll try and get some pics up soon.

Nutmeg laminate buttstock with a black syth. forearm? alright my curiousity is up lets see it when you get around to it

DarkKnight
i would not do anything to that beautifull stock ..instead i would buy a synthetic stock and paint that ..

I just remembered I have an wood Express forearm left over from a different project. It has a really dark stain but I had no plans for it.

I'll see if the wife(the art teacher) acan work her magic on it after I strip of the current finish. I'll have her see if she can make them match and then I'll clear it.

I'll get some pics up soon, I promise!

Back