• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE DO NOT BUY OR SELL ANYTHING ATM

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on here for a while and you get to know how some forum members post. After I got a pm from Encore50A about the ROA, it didn't sound like him so I pm'd several mods to see if his account was hacked. All but GM54-120 told me I was good to go and buy the pistol. Then after a few minutes, even GM54-120 came back and said I was safe to buy it. Of course, all these pm's were from the hackers and man did they pressure me to buy. Then after a few more minutes, I was banned so I couldn't post how I thought the sale was bogus. Maybe someday I'll get a ROA.

Here is one from 03mossy. He stated that he just got off the phone with Encore50A and I was ok to buy. I asked for the phone number and got this reply.
View attachment 22643
Yeah that doesn't sound like 03Mossy at all. Absolutely not. I couldnt believe Encore50a was selling an unfired ss ROA that cheap and i hadnt seen the other ROA pics yet.

The hacker said Encore50a was using a VPN from work. Well anyone that has been following the "im partially bionic" topic would know...HE AINT at work. I knew at that instant it wasnt Mossy and this could get very ugly since Mossy is an admin.

The hacker banned several people, deleted numerous posts and changed the passwords/emails on several more accounts. Thankfully our logs record anything that gets changed and by who. Took me a few hours to take care of the minor damage and a few phone calls to help in real time. Angie took care of the more technical stuff.

Taking a page from Eddie Snowden here (Traitor? Hero? I dont care.) Passphrases are particularly hard for hackers to decipher. So something like "Playingcatchwithmykids2×adaykeepstheDoctoraway!1976" would be a phenomenal way to keep your account safe.

This is nuts! I think we all can learn from this. I would think none of the members here would be pushy so to speak. So that right there is a red flag. Trust your gut feeling, as it’s usually right.

How can we check if an ad is legit? Wondering how we can combat this BS????

How can we check if an ad is legit? Wondering how we can combat this BS????
I don’t think you can. The paper with a name and date is nothing, any dip can photoshop that in. Someone’s post count is helpful until they hack into an established account. If they’ll only accept an electronic funds transfer that’s probably a red flag. I don’t believe a USPS money order is as safe as people seem to think it is.
I think you can improve your odds but I don’t believe that any forum purchase is truly safe.

Awesome find sir Swamp. Could it possibly be? I can only hope the thief is stupid enough to use his real name...doesn't seem like a common name. My brother was a police lieutenant before retiring and, .... he knows a guy. I'll run this past him.

Lol this is why I buy things online and only from businesses accepting CC's. It's called fraud protection.

This is just a new caveat on an old scam. Send money to me and I'll ship it right out doesn't work for me.

I remember a long time ago I purchased something from a very good man that goes under Snapbang. We met in person I handed them the cash he handed me the goods. Lol

Not only did I get my primers but I also established a friendship with a really good man who lived in my area.

Also note that anybody can get the ability to process credit card transactions. Sign up for PayPal merchant account and they'll send you a credit card reader. There is also another company that did that as well square something or other.

Pretty slick little thing they send you to the plugs into your phone and let you swipe a card. Alternatively if you just wanted to process a credit card number the software on your phone would allow you to do that as well.

Again credit card fraud protection or meeting in person. I don't care how well respected some members on a forum I'm not sending you on money order or cash. That's pretty much common sense.

This forum ran for 10years or more without a single person getting scammed. Ive done several deals where both parties did not even wait. We both just sent payment/item at the same time. I just did one yesterday as a matter of fact because i know the guy has a flawless reputation. The package im expecting is already at my local hub and should be here tomorrow.

The recent incident was a pain but no one lost any money and steps have been taken to make it more difficult for the same thing to happen again.

Well good luck to you all people change over the course of time. I personally would not engage in such sales. Somebody reputable today could be less than reputable tomorrow for a number of reasons. And that's just smart thinking.

To each their own I suppose.

Well good luck to you all people change over the course of time. I personally would not engage in such sales. Somebody reputable today could be less than reputable tomorrow for a number of reasons. And that's just smart thinking.

To each their own I suppose.
Half-Cocked, this wasn't a case of a member here making a shady transaction. This WAS a case where a some person hacked a few members accounts, and pretended to be them and posted ads of things for sale, and unfortunately some members took the bait before it was caught.

I understand and appreciate that but I was making an entirely different point. The fact that people situations and morals may change over time so somebody who was reputable may be less than reputable given a situation it's just not worth it.

I'm sure there have been many many transactions here that have ended in satisfaction for both parties. These are just my personal opinions and my personal approach to doing business.

Again to to thier own and that's the last I'll say about this subject. I Felt I've made my point.

I'm sure there have been many many transactions here that have ended in satisfaction for both parties
Probably more like 99.99% have ended with complete satisfaction since ive been here. Its extremely rare for a deal to go bad here. I would wager your chances of a bad deal or simple errors with online vendors using a CC are worse. ;)

Latest posts

Back