Does anyone else go thru this ORDEAL with smokeless ML'S.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
My new Savage all of a sudden wont hit the broad side of a Barn. :evil: Yesterday before going to the Range i put in a new RW Vent-Liner and cleaned the GUN. Best group was like 6 inches.

Today i took a vacation day to have really not much better results. I checked my front base screw. I put in a new SAVAGE vent-liner and groups were like 3 inches. What is the problem? Normally my HB Savage just needs cleaned and a new vent-liner installed and everything is great.
My Breech yesterday and today is just filled with crap. Both 5744 and 4759 jacketed up my Breech plug. :x My first 2 shots at 50yds touched bullets. My 3 shots at 100yds was a 1" group. After that everything was horrible. Do i need to drill out my plug after 5 shots???? :?

Am i the only person running into these issues. I really wish i new what was going on. I took my Encore along and it's no problem. The Dam thing shoots were i'm aiming. And shoots great. My new Savage i shot three Deer with already. Now i wouldnt take it hunting anything. :(

You'll recall I had the same kind of problems about two months ago. I almost bought a new scope I was so frustrated.

Since then, I've swapped my breech plug at the beginning of every range trip and let the dirty one soak in Hoppes No. 9 until the next range trip, at which time I swap again.

I can't understand how accuracy can fall apart so much after only 18 or 24 shots, though. :(

Mountain Man said:
I can't understand how accuracy can fall apart so much after only 18 or 24 shots, though. :(

My HB Savage that is not the case at all. My new one????? I have a hunch if i clean the plug every 5 shot's or so there is no problem. I need to shoot it some more and find out.

Accuracy Woes

Grouse, I sure do not understand that one.I have owned 2, and never had that issue.But it does seem to be possibly vent liner related?, according to what you described,or possibly old powder? Does powder go bad? I shoot it up to quick to know.Weak primers? Did you change anything from your normal routine other than the ventliner?

Grouse said:
Mountain Man said:

My HB Savage that is not the case at all. My new one????? I have a hunch if i clean the plug every 5 shot's or so there is no problem. I need to shoot it some more and find out.
You should not have to do that, we need to find out the culprit.

Accuracy Woes

Has Sav. made a design change to the breech plug? How much have you shot this particular gun?I am real interested in knowing the details. I just purchased one for my son.

I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM EARLY THIS FALL, I CHANGED SCOPES, STOCKS, PLUGS,VENTS SABOTS, BULLETS, PRIMERS. I WAS TRIPPING OVER THAT DEAL. WHEN IT WAS ALL OVER THE ONLY THING I DIDN'T GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL ON WAS THE STOCK. I'M STILL NOT CONVINCED IT WAS THAT. I THINK THESE ML2's HAVE BAD DAYS, LIKE WHEN THE STARS DON'T LINE UP OR YOUR WIFE SAYS 2 HUNTING TRIPS IS ENOUGH IN ONE YEAR,THEN TURNS AROUND THE NEXT DAY AND SAYS 3 WOULD BE ALRIGHT. IN ACTUALITY I BELIEVE THAT RUNNING A 12 GA. BRISTLE BRUSH WITH #9 ON IT POWERED BY A DRILL, I THINK THE LANDS WERE FILLING UP AND IT NEED A GOOD BRUSHING. JUST MY S.W.A.G.
JEFF! :idea:

I had a problem when temps changed.On a clean barrel after three shots I could feel a build up in the barrel as I pushed a sabot and bullet down.I started swabbing the barrel with a small amount Rusty Duck Black Off on a bore mop every shot.Problem solved.

Re: Accuracy Woes

Tar-12 said:
Has Sav. made a design change to the breech plug? How much have you shot this particular gun?I am real interested in knowing the details. I just purchased one for my son.

I have really not spent much time at all with it. I want to use it because my new Scope is on it. My Breech plug on my HB doesnt get dirty this fast. I would say i shot this new gun about 75 shot's. Today the temp was high 30's. I think me mixing powders isnt helping matters. The first 6 shot's i shoot IMR 4759. The next 6 shot's i shoot 5744. Next time out, i will shoot 5744 first. If it works great. If not i dont know. HB Savage or the Encore for Buck season???????

smokit said:
I started swabbing the barrel with a small amount Rusty Duck Black Off on a bore mop every shot.Problem solved.

I really dont want to do that. The benefits of Smokeless is not touching after every shot. IMO

Tom,
I can really sense your frustration. :(

Use the Disc Elite if you must. It would appear that the Savage needs cleaned as much as any other ML, so what's the diff...

Personally I need TOTAL confidence to be worry free during my hunts. I use them as stress management tools, so RELAXING is the operative here. :wink:

Re: Does anyone else go thru this ORDEAL with smokeless ML'S

Grouse said:
My new Savage all of a sudden wont hit the broad side of a Barn. :evil: Yesterday before going to the Range i put in a new RW Vent-Liner and cleaned the GUN. Best group was like 6 inches.

Today i took a vacation day to have really not much better results. I checked my front base screw. I put in a new SAVAGE vent-liner and groups were like 3 inches. What is the problem? Normally my HB Savage just needs cleaned and a new vent-liner installed and everything is great.
My Breech yesterday and today is just filled with crap. Both 5744 and 4759 jacketed up my Breech plug. :x My first 2 shots at 50yds touched bullets. My 3 shots at 100yds was a 1" group. After that everything was horrible. Do i need to drill out my plug after 5 shots???? :?

Am i the only person running into these issues. I really wish i new what was going on. I took my Encore along and it's no problem. The Dam thing shoots were i'm aiming. And shoots great. My new Savage i shot three Deer with already. Now i wouldnt take it hunting anything. :(

Tom, welcome to the wonderful & unpredictable 4759 World. Just read recently u bot some 4759. I had identical experience with 4759.

Dump it & stay with 5744. 8 Oz of Sh!t flushes quicky! :lol:

Re: Does anyone else go thru this ORDEAL with smokeless ML'S

Loggy said:
[quote="

Tom, welcome to the wonderful & unpredictable 4759 World. Just read recently u bot some 4759. I had identical experience with 4759.

Dump it & stay with 5744. 8 Oz of Sh!t flushes quicky! :lol:

You dont know how happy you just made me. I'm glad to hear you had problems with it. Thanks for the reply Larry. :)

Go with N110. I had some problems with the 4759 like that. NO PROBLEMS with the N110.

Spitpatch said:
Tom,
I can really sense your frustration. :(
Personally I need TOTAL confidence to be worry free during my hunts. I use them as stress management tools, so RELAXING is the operative here. :wink:

Boy isnt that the truth. Trying a new powder this late in the game was a mistake. Back to 5744 i go. :) The Savage is a great gun. My HB is 100% reliable. I have shot 4 or 5 pounds of powder with it. When things are bad, clean it And change the vent-liner. Everything is great then. This new Savage is going back to the basics real fast. :)

dwhunter said:
Go with N110. I had some problems with the 4759 like that. NO PROBLEMS with the N110.

After Buck season i'll mess with N110. I have not shot A Buck with a Savage yet. Or atleast i dont remember i did. :? The Disc Elite and Encore have plenty. :wink:

Re: Accuracy Woes

Grouse said:
Tar-12 said:

I have really not spent much time at all with it. I want to use it because my new Scope is on it. My Breech plug on my HB doesnt get dirty this fast. I would say i shot this new gun about 75 shot's. Today the temp was high 30's. I think me mixing powders isnt helping matters. The first 6 shot's i shoot IMR 4759. The next 6 shot's i shoot 5744. Next time out, i will shoot 5744 first. If it works great. If not i dont know. HB Savage or the Encore for Buck season???????
Take the HB. Tom, you may have answered the question to your accuracy woes. At least you will be able to eliminate one variable. Keep us posted. Rick

Tom,

I just had the same thing happen with BOTH my guns... why??? dunno!

I cleanned the heck out of both of them.. spent maybe 40 minutes on each barrel alone! Then I cranked down the front bases, installed new plugs and liners, then hit the range and had great success..

One day they shoot lights out.... the next day they are horrible????

Try changing to a different breech plug/vent liner... I once had a breech plug w/ Savage #1 and it would not shoot... EVER!

Doohan said:
Tom,
Try changing to a different breech plug/vent liner... I once had a breech plug w/ Savage #1 and it would not shoot... EVER!

I'll keep that in mind. Savage shot a .661 group with this gun. My first three 100yd shot's were a 1" group easy. In two day's i've thrown away four Vent-Liners. :shock: We'll see what happens when i get back home next week. This Gun shot three Deer this year with 5744 and 250grn XTP'S. Back to 5744 for now.

Latest posts

Back