does anyone only use lead free bullets for hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lead or lead free

• not worried about lead

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • lead free for me

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • couldn't care less either way

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

JeffB1961

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure this just comes down to personal preferences and that one persons right answer will be the wrong answer for another .
i mean ..... even the air we breath and water we drink can harm us or hasten our deaths .
so is anyone concerned enough about lead to not use it on game ?
i realize some states don't allow lead , but for folks that have the option what are your thoughts ?

Not terribly worried about lead personally but I think there is value in not using it in some areas - like California condor habitat. As has been said in other threads, I think a lead-free future is barreling at us.

I have some in different centerfire calibers. Have not used them on game as yet. I have been using Hornady Monoflex in my Accura MR. They seem to do a good job on shock and penetration.

I use a 85 grain Barnes TSX in 243, Barnes 127 grain LRX in 6.5 and a Cutting Edge 250 grain Maximus in my CVA Accura. My son got me started loading them for him and found good loads with great accuracy that performed well on game so started loading them for myself. White tail is the biggest thing I hunt and have had no issues.

I use Barnes 195 gr .40’s in my .45 caliber muzzleloaders, but that’s the only non lead bullet I routinely use.
I load Nosler Partitions in most of our centerfire rifles for hunting deer.
I shoot what I shoot because I like the bullet, no other reason.

While Minnesota does not require lead-free bullets, shotgun shells are a different story. Fortunately, I no longer hunt with a shotgun.

All three of my hunting guns, 2 rifles and a CVA Optima pistol, are sighted in to use copper bullets, however, each will shoot an XTP of very close weight and bullet caliber without any need to change the powder charges unique to each gun. All three guns are very good shooters with the lead and honestly I like the way the copper Barnes bullets work on game.

I have XTPs coming out of my ears for each of those guns so I have a ready supply of good shooting and great terminal performing bullets should I not be able to replenish the copper fodder when I run out. I shoot the XTPs at the range simply because they mirror the copper bullets in accuracy and the copper stuff is not near as numerous in my stores.

The bottom line is that it matters little to me what I need to shoot, copper of a jacketed lead.

I personally am happy with the Barnes line of copper bullets. I DID have my doubts about performance, for sure. But I have to say after recovering a TEZ 290 grainer from a bull elk that stopped the elk in it's tracks. I'll use them from here on out. Oh, for the record, the bullet LOST the 90 grain core and was only 200 grains after it went through the body and was recovered against the skin on the off side.
On a lighter note...I've also used GAME FREE bullets on some hunts :wall:

Attachments

• elk bullet 2021.jpg
    elk bullet 2021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My TC Black Diamond rifle is underused, but that will change. Rifle is sighted in for the monolithic .429 225 grain Barnes XPB bullet. That bullet in front of 120 grains of Black MZ knocks the stuffing out of big hogs.

I use heavy lead for my side-locks and my Whites. No problem with complete pass throughs. 80 to 90 grains of Swiss does the trick. I don’t think there are enough people shooting lead to make such an impact on the environment.
I use solid copper in some of my inlines, smokeless, and centerfire rifles. Not because of environmental reasons. Only because of accuracy and performance on game.

My plan is to use lead free copper for hunting and cheaper lead copper for sighting and plinking .

That’s what I do with my Blackhorn 209… get it close with a combo of T7 and some decent “same grain” bullets than out come the BH209 and the Barnes TEZ 290’s to finish sighting in and use for elk or 250’s for mule deer

NY has passed a law that says if you hunt on state land you cannot use lead bullets. This Law will take effect in 2023.

Last edited:
I’m a huge fan of Hornady Monoflex & Barnes TEZ because of the fur performance & absolutely nothing to do with whether or not theirs lead. I’m also a big fan of Fury bonded bullets. Lots of lead there 😁

Greg

Back