does anyone only use lead free bullets for hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lead or lead free

• not worried about lead

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • lead free for me

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • couldn't care less either way

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Just as a matter of preference, I've gone total monolithic in my smokeless ML's. Barnes bullets do a good job IF a person can get them to shoot accurately. For awhile, Alco Bullets sold a higher B.C. copper bullet with a very lengthy hollow point and finely slotted down the hollow point 4 ways. It's the best bullet I ever used on deer. I asked the guy why he discontinued them, "Well, they weren't selling very well. Perhaps I should have advertised them a little." DUH, ya think??

Bullet on the left is a 245gr Barnes Spitfire. On the Right is a 275gr Alco copper. Point to point span on the Alco is just under 2".

Spitfire-Alco-3a.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Barnes bullets for years, and they work well. I started using them in centerfire because my butcher put all recovered bullets in a pan on the counter. Every Barnes looked just like the advertisements. I wish they made a heavier muzzleloader bullet for elk. I shot one with a 290 gr. tipped bullet, and it worked, but didn't kill as fast as I would have liked. My in-laws use the 300 gr. Expander bullets, and are happy with them. I shoot a lot before the season, and now that I'm retired, I'm shooting .45-70 bullets that perform as well or better and cost less than 1/2 as much.

Headed to Colorado with a bear tag:

270 with Hornady Superformance 130 gr GMX all copper bullet

And an Elk tag:
50 call 350 gr lead alloy.

Met them half way.

Don’t really think muzzleloaders are the issue with lead. It’s the high powered center fires that make some bullets explode with lead fragments all thru the body/ meat.

I hunt only with lead-free ammo in my .30-06 and Optimas.
They shoot great, perform well on game, and keep lead out of my food, and out of gut piles. I’ve been really happy with them.
If I didn’t have unleaded, I would hunt with lead. But since lead a very functional option, I’ll utilize it.
The only big game I will hunt in the next year or so are whitetail deer, but I wouldn’t hesitate taking an ethical shot at an elk or any NA big game with lead-free ammo. It works.

In Missouri we are required to use lead bullets. I used a LeHigh Extreme Penetrator to perforate this pumpkin just to see what it would do.
Specifications: Encore 45X209, Harvestor Blue sabot, 70 grains by volume T7, 180 grain Penetrator and distance of 25 yards.

Attachments

• B6DB5C5F-FD07-4483-8E13-A9AFEF25FB4B.jpeg
    B6DB5C5F-FD07-4483-8E13-A9AFEF25FB4B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back