Double trouble arrived today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Well I was getting some hunting stuff ready when I heard Fedex drop a package off
nonono2.gif

A huge box that weighed about 20lbs ( no not really but felt like it) and I am scratching my head wondering....

What could those be!!
IMG_7710.jpg

The new Traditions Mountain Rifles had arrived!
IMG_7711.jpg

Yes, I swabbed the percussion out, lubed the lock and took it shooting. First 2 shots out of a NEW rifle from the box printed 1 1/2" at 50 yards with the first load I tried. I just finished adjusting the sight up a bit so hopefully it will be close.
IMG_7716.jpg

They are both 50s. I have 2 of the hawken woodsman rifles. These are brand new models and as far as i know, im the first to pull the trigger and start the testing.

Love it already! I am bringing this one hunting as well. Both the Hawken Woodsman and the new Mountain Rifle shoot the same loads beautifully. I do prefer the sights on the Mountain Rifle. They are a lot easier for my eye to adjust on.

50 yards - Jim Shockeys Gold - .490" round balls - .015" Patches lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.
img_7710.jpg

75 yards
img_7711.jpg

The color of the barrel is hard to explain. It does have a very light brown touch to it, depending on what lighting condition you are in, other times, it has a gray color to it as shown below in full light. Yet on the next picture below in low light conditions, it has a very distinct brown color.
img_7712.jpg

img_7713.jpg

Nice rifles you have there and the cap/gun appears to be shooter also.

Ray...............

I'm looking at the Lyman GPR on my wall as I read this. It is hard to compare the photo of the new Traditions Mountain rifle to the actual GPR. What is your take on the comparison of the two rifles?
Ron

Ron, its to early to tell. I just shot the percussion model so far. The stocks I do like better than lyman as well as the triggers.

One bad so far is the ramrod. They are beechwood and these if you are not careful, can snap pretty easily due to the amount of flex they have in them. I got by for years with them, but just a heads up to everyone else.

Jon
Im curious on how you will like the flinter. Im wanting another flinter as I have a GPR in 54 that has had the L&R lock put in it along with davis deerslayer triggers. Been kind of wanting one in a long rifle but the Hawken style rifle is still what I like the most. Al

I'll let you know Al! I just got 2lbs of Olde Eynsford in today so I am looking forward to testing it in the MR. So far the flintlock has sparked excellent with almost no damage on the face of the frizzen. This one is a lot harder than my other 2 flintlocks frizzens thats for sure.

Here are some Hawkin and Gemmer family rifles in the Cody museum. I am using these rifles to compare to the Traditions, mostly out of curiosity about whether Traditions modeled their new mountain rifle from the Hawkins.
6Sufqa.jpg

oXrOYi.jpg

Ron

They actually did use the hawken style butt plate, it even has the rounded corners which was a real surprise considering what a pain in the ass it is to do.

Muley said:
Ron............Hawken  :tongue:
I can't believe I did that! :oops: Thanks for the correction. :ttups: I will not repeat that transgression.

Ron

Jotjackson said:
If you don't like those rifles, you are on the wrong forum.
Since I really don't mess with them, and stay mostly with the inlines, and SML, I'm in the wrong place. So be it.

cvilorio said:
Jotjackson said:
If you don't like those rifles, you are on the wrong forum.
Since I really don't mess with them, and stay mostly with the inlines, and SML, I'm in the wrong place. So be it.
That's why we have separate sub forums for everybody. I'm guessing to hang out mostly in the smokeless forum Carlos. However, everybody is free to post on any forum.

Although, not liking a Hawken is un-American. ;)

well I have a report to make.

I had some trouble with the percussion lock today that threw me off.

Every time i'd tighten the screws, the lock panel at the rear would bulge out!

After fiddling around I just about slapped myself for not recognizing the problem earlier!

The rear lock screw was a little to long and hit the hammer, causing the jammer to jam up and the lock to twist! LOL. Common issue with percussion locks when the screws are just a touch to long. I asked my brother to shorten it a bit for me and after he did, everything was perfect.

Now to check the flintlock and see if that has this issue.

Back