Double trouble arrived today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but that should have been caught when it was built. The curse of production guns. Not everybody who buys a gun is mechanically inclined. Stuff like this is piss poor quality control.

Rant over. :pirat:

Jonathan, is it possible that the 2 lock screws are different sizes? Just switch the screws.
Ron

Are either of those Mountain Rifles 48-twist?
What do they weigh?
Is that barrel length 32"?

No, they are both the same length, I compared them too as I have run into that with some earlier production MR's from CVA. I've had to trim screws on lyman as well, so its pretty much a typical thing to run into. Even had to trim lock screws on a custom made gun I bought some years ago.

The FLINTLOCK is amazing! I had 2 flash in the pans and one fail to fire.

The first 2 flash in the pans were caused by me forgetting powder :slaps:

The fail to fire was fixed by rubbing my thumb across the frizzen to wipe the heavy fouling off.

Recoil is straight back and easy on you, not much barrel jump at all. I had a blast with it today. I will however have to file a good deal of the front sight down. I am maxed out and still about 3" low of where I want to be at 50 yards.

Ignition wise, she likes about 3 grains of 4fg. Olde Eynsford was very clean burning as well but I noticed at the muzzle, loading was very stiff to the point I got my range rod so I wouldn't chance breaking my wooden ramrod.

Ron 
I thought the picture of those rifles were the ones you had on your wall you told me about. Jonathan your way to young to be using that forget to put powder in the gun line. Al

BigAl52 said:
Ron 
I thought the picture of those rifles were the ones you had on your wall you told me about. Jonathan your way to young to be using that forget to put powder in the gun line. Al
Al, I have photos from 2 visits to the Cody museum. They include weapons that were on loan from the Smithsonian. Regrettably for me, the Smithsonian firearms had to go back.
The Cody collection is fabulous! They have firearms going back to the 1400s and others representing every major war involving the USA.
Also, there are Hollywood guns, holsters and gun belts - those from Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, and more.
Ron

Well I knew it would happen! Reloading the second shot today with the flintlock, that flexy ramrod broke a few inches above my hand while pushing a ball down. Not sure how it broke above, but it did. Luckily it didn't break below or in my hand because that hurts!

Not a big deal, I knew the ramrods were much to flexy and at some point, will break. I'll be ordering hickory ramrods for all the rifles before hunting season.

After looking at this gun again Jon I wonder why they didnt use all the same for the hardware. Either all brass or all iron. Not sure about the combination of the two. Al

brown and silver goes together nicely. I probably will pull the wedge key plates off some time and polish them nice more of a pop.

Latest posts

Back