Eastern Box Turtle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking for a wayward arrow yesterday. Seems it flew over my target. Imagine that. Anyhoo, found it and a box turtle rumagging around. Course he sucked up into his shell so I couldn't say hello.

We had one named "Cruiser" in the back yard for years then one day he disappeared. Don't know if they can dig under fences or not, but he was gone. Wonder what happened to old Cruiser?

I have a lot of family that lives in state college. Great area.
A Texas cattle firm bought the family farm outside Milroy. Still have some family in that area, most have moved on over the years. I try and go back every few years just for the memories of being a kid on the farm.

Friday morning. Ate breakfast. Sat on the patio so i could drink my 2 cups of coffee for the day and look who wanders up.
DL

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    695.6 KB · Views: 3
Speaking of turtles, while fishing yesterday I came across this guy basting in the sun. The common Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta )
BolWpk1.jpg

IMG_1033.JPG

Not really sure the correct gender or classification but to me it is just a box shell like i see around here all my life. Needs cleaning up but otherwise he is beautiful dont you think?
DL

Last edited:
Lee I don't think it's a box turtle. Where are you located? Is there water nearby? Box turtles are terrestrial, no water. That guy looks like he's got algae on his back. Maybe a painted but I can't tell.

That's bits of vegetation and "stick tights" on his shell. Morning dew on the ground causes them to pick up a lot of detritus.

Yeah the morning dew was really heavy Friday morning and we cut the grass Thursday evening. He's covered in dew and grass clippings. Had to wash my shoes by the time i got back on patio. I live in North Texas 60 miles south of DFW area. I have a stock tank 200 yards from the house and Chambers Creek is 2 miles south of me. It's not a snapper, those are easily identified and always PISSED OFF.
DL

Back