Ed’s Solid Gould

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Edmehlig sent me some of his Solid Lyman Gould Bullets to try, He had A Custom Pin made by a very talented 52bore, The pin makes the bullet solid instead of a Hollow point. I shot the exact same target that i shot the Hollow Points with in my other thread, i just used black elictrical tape over the holes. I shot 6 times total. My first ‘Fouler’ shot i put in a HARD packed Sand Bank, i recovered that bullet before leaving. Thank you for the bullets Ed! I can’t wait to get my Mold done the Same as yours, hopefully it shoots the Same! What an AWESOME little Bullet!!

The Solid version shoots just as well as the Hollow Points! This is a true 103 Ranged Yards from my Muzzle, I shot 3 shots, went and checked, they fly right with the Hollow Points cutting the tape i used to tape over the 3 Shot Hollow Point Group
TdC9jMH.jpg

I Came back and shot the last 2 shots, the Group measured 1.400 farthest outside edge to edge, Making the Group .95, Just under 1”
29iYRd9.jpg

70 Grains of Swiss 3F, .060 Vege Wad on the powder, then a .45 Cal Wool on top of the Vege Wad
gaKyXc4.jpg

I really enjoy my Paper Patched bullets, From Patching, to shooting them, As far as accuracy goes, Fact is Paper Patched has NOTHING on a Good Grease Groove Bullet. I stand by my old thread on Paper Patched bullets and hunting, I feel a Good Grease Groove bullet that shoots like this is a better choice, They hold TIGHT on the powder, especially if you run 40:1 Alloy and Size. I see ZERO benefits in Paper Patched bullets for hunting, Actually they are nowhere near as good in my opinion. I will continue to shoot my Paper Patched bullets from a Bench for fun, and possibly a Hunt now n then, i have some awesome designed PP Bullets, And i have spent a TON of time figuring out ways to better trust them on Hunts. But fact is i have SEVERAL Grease Groove Bullets that are EVERY bit as accurate, and even more so than PP

Same exact spot as i shot the Hollow Point version
My target on the Far Bank, These circle Apertures are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING on Round Bullseye Targets :yeah: I can shoot my Peep sights right with my Scoped Centerfires!

ZdW08yt.jpg

They look pure lead?
Glad they shot as well, I kinda thought they would as I asked in a previous post - the length (weight) fit this twist.
They didn't expand in Ron's 50grV test, but if one wanted one to penetrate (like an Elk) one would not hesitate..

Don't discredit PP as to me a GG can shoot as well and vise-versa depending on the gun.

This should get you looking forward to this fall.

Rick, they are pure lead. I'm waiting for things to get less hectic around my house and I'm going to send my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker to have a 451 with a 1-20" twist made for it. I think I'm going to increase the length of the bbl from 24-26" and have the Lyman Front Globe sights installed. This way I can shoot/make more use of my bullets.

edmehlig said:
Rick, they are pure lead. I'm waiting for things to get less hectic around my house and I'm going to send my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker to have a 451 with a 1-20" twist made for it. I think I'm going to increase the length of the bbl from 24-26" and have the Lyman Front Globe sights installed. This way I can shoot/make more use of my bullets.

What depth rifling are you thinking of Ed? I have a .40 caliber barrel I'm thinking about getting rebored for your bullet, but I was thinking 1:24 twist.

52Bore said:
They look pure lead?
Glad they shot as well, I kinda thought they would as I asked in a previous post - the length (weight) fit this twist.
They didn't expand in Ron's 50grV test, but if one wanted one to penetrate (like an Elk) one would not hesitate..

Don't discredit PP as to me a GG can shoot as well and vise-versa depending on the gun.

This should get you looking forward to this fall.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Paper Patched bullets, Most of my time has been geared toward them. I have loads for each of my fast twist rifles that shoot lights out good with my Custom PP molds. I fully agree it depends on the Gun. I just see more advantages to a Good Grease Groove bullet for hunting. For bench rest shooting I absolutely love my PP bullets where i have all the time needed to swab good between shots, Using real black powder (Swiss) the fouling is dry and EXTREMELY rough, i can not reload on a fouled bore without tearing my paper up (less than ideal in a hunting situation!) Idahoron did a torture test video awhile back showing how many times he could shoot and reload a fouled bore WITHOUT Swabbing, i think he shot 9 or 11 times? I can tell you now from hands on experience that you WON’T do that with this Swiss powder, I’ve tested it!!! Ron uses Pyrodex P, the fouling from Pyrodex P is TOTALLY different then Real black, Pyrodex leaves a softer Gooey Type fouling, Where Swiss leaves a ROUGH dry fouling, like a rough grit sandpaper coated on the Bore Walls, The Crud ring left behind is EXTREMELY rough to get through after shooting a Dry PP bullet. I was so impressed with Ron’s Torture test video that i ran over and bought a pound of Pyrodex P (i was gonna Switch from my Swiss to Pyro P) But my first outing with the Pyrodex was a bust, i had a brand new Treso/Ampco nipple in my rifle, they have a tiny .028 Flash hole, My first shot was more of a ‘Fizzle’ and Hardly any recoil? I don’t remember if that shot even made it to my target or not? I loaded up and went home after that 1 shot. I contacted Ron that day and we talked about what happened? Ron Drills his nipples out to like .035-.036 if I remember right? He does this to reliably ignite the Pyrodex P, I gave it some thought and decided against doing that (not saying it doesn’t work, but i hated the thought of boring out a brand new nipple just to shoot the Pyrodex) I ended up ditching the Pyrodex and sticking with my Real Black powder (Swiss) which goes off IMMEDIATELY everytime. Also For my style of hunting i prefer a bullet that loads good and snug from start to finish, And that’s precisely what i get with these sized GG bullets and my 40:1 Alloy, i can rest assured that my GG bullets will NOT slip off the powder charge under any circumstances unless i pull the trigger. So for me personally a good Grease Groove bullet is a MUCH better way to go for hunting. I now have loads for several GG bullets in all of my fast twist rifles that will shoot EVERY bit as good as any PP bullet i own, or i have tried.

What depth rifling are you thinking of Ed? I have a .40 caliber barrel I'm thinking about getting rebored for your bullet, but I was thinking 1:24 twist.

I’m going to go with what Doc uses with his White BBls. and that’s a shallow grove .035.

edmehlig said:

Ed, Make sure and get the Shaver Circle Aperture card for your 17 Globe! These things work!!! I cant shoot this well with a bead, i love the Shaver beads, and shoot them quite well, but not like these circles! It’s clear to me now why the BPCR long range guys use these circles and swear by them, they are AMAZING! It comes down to matching them with a Round Bull, these things are as close to a Scope as you can get. :yeah:

I have to agree. That bullet and even the HP version are a perfect match for a 1-30. Ive shot a few packs of Cecils 360s through a 1-28 and 1-30. They loved them.

GM54-120 said:
I have to agree. That bullet and even the HP version are a perfect match for a 1-30. Ive shot a few packs of Cecils 360s through a 1-28 and 1-30. They loved them.

I really would like to get a 45 cal bbl made for my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker. I'm really torn between a 1-24" or 1-28: Some experts say 1-24 is the way to go and others say 1-28 for my 350gr HP's. IS there any programs that can help determine which is the best twist for a certain bullet. I'll primarily be shooting my HP Gould bullet which weighs around 348grs.

Latest posts

Back