Elite, Durasight Z2 bases, Weaver 4x4 rings, 40 mm objective

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
As no one had any experience that they could post with the Durasight line of rings and bases I "took one for the team" and ordered the bases for my Knight DISC Elite .50. I did so because I have had satisfactory results with the Weaver 45 aluminum bases that I used on my Wolverine for 10 or so years but with everybody talking about the Warne, and such steel bases being better, I wanted something better for my Elite. While pricing these other lines of steel bases I learned they are quite a bit more expensive than the Weaver aluminum line and I did not like the fact that the Warne rings I looked at did not have a rectangular shaped crossbolt to mate the Weaver style bases. Durasights are made of an alloy said to be twice as strong as aluminum and are priced at 9.99 for TWO instead of one so the price point was a factor. Much has been said about them being marketed by CVA and words like "junk" were used in another post. To my pleasure, when I received them the packaging said nothing about CVA so I believe they may be a separate entity. They appear to be well made but I do not believe they are made of steel because I took a refrigerator magnet and they showed no signs of repelling or attracting the magnet. When I placed them on my Elite they appeared to be too high in the middle so I took a strip of 220 grit sandpaper, placed it on top of the receiver and moved the bases from front to back a few minutes to improve fit. They are packaged with torx screws and an allen type wrench with torx shaped ends. I then mounted them and as of now I am pleased. I will have a better opinion when I shoot the gun and take the scope off and put it on again and shoot to see how the zero returns. I purchased some Weaver 4x4 rings (high) and mounted a Tasco WC 3-9x40 on the gun which gave me about 1/8 between the bell of the objective and the barrel. I need to go shoot and form an opinion but as far as looks and fit, the components seem to work.

Price... bases $9.99 (Cabelas), rings $9.99 (Walmart), scope $48.99 (MidwayUSA), gun $219.99 (Sportsmans Guide), Spin Jag $14.99

I really need to shoot and see how accurate my outfit can be for around $300! I hate shooting on a budget but I dont see how you guys can spend $700+ on a scope alone.

MQ32shooter said:
Price... bases $9.99 (Cabelas), rings $9.99 (Walmart), scope $48.99 (MidwayUSA), gun $219.99 (Sportsmans Guide), Spin Jag $14.99

I really need to shoot and see how accurate my outfit can be for around $300! I hate shooting on a budget but I dont see how you guys can spend $700+ on a scope alone.
It does not take a $700 scope to make a gun shoot straight!! There are plenty of scope and options out there to getter done!

MQ32shooter said:

I can't either. Most expensive scope I own cost me $220.00 back in '02. The second most expensive cost me $170 and my least expensive scope cost $130 (this one has been replaced by the company twice). I've had cheaper scopes but They quit holding zero pretty fast. I had a 1.5-5 (or 6) Bushnell banner that lost zero real quick. A 4X Simmons shotgun scope that held together on my slug gun but lost zero soon after. An assortment of $20-40 scopes that didn't hold together. If I'd have spent all that money to buy one good scope I'd have a $300+ scope here. Instead I've got nada. I've learned the hard way that it's better to spend once on a quality scope than multiple times on a cheap one.

I've learned the hard way that it's better to spend once on a quality scope than multiple times on a cheap one.

So true, and that's a lesson many of us had to learn the hardway as well.

Well... Lesson learned the hard way. Rings wouldnt tighten down on the bases, the front one at least and had play. Rings dinged my scope as well. The bases, seemed okay but the rear one's screws had loosened. I am not 100% certain but I am wondering if I shouldnt start from scratch or if I should just try new rings and bases and give the Tasco a chance. Anyone had experience with the Durasight brand bases, they are low like 1/8" of the receiver and are made to accept the Weaver type rings and are made of Zinc alloy? Rifle was grouping poorly which prompted me to check the condition of the ring/base situation. Not sure which way to go.

With some help by big6x6, I chose to get the Leupold QRW low rings and Weaver GS bases. Bought two sets of rings, one for the Tasco and one for a recently acquired Sightron 2.5x7x32 ( :wink: thanks Chuck). Today I went to the range and managed to better my 100 yard groups with .452 250 gr XTP to 1.75", what a difference quality can make when choosing rings and bases. I tried both scopes and the Sightron was only slightly larger but I think it was due to the 7 vs 9 power sighting picture ( this was at 100 yards or slightly over). One thing that is puzzling me, I got a flier that is 1.75" northwest of 2 bulletholes touching that makes the group 1.75" instead of .5" and I noticed this tends to happen with most of the bullets I shot today ( 200 gr TC sw, PR 235 gr qt40 and the XTP). With both scopes sighted in at the end of the afternoon I shot 2 shots with each scope and managed a 4 shot 1.75" group!

By the way, my previous best groups with the XTPs was about 5" at 50 and 100 yards. This is not a commercial for Leupold or Weaver, but I would highly recommend this combo and suggest that you take the advice of experienced fellow forum members :oops: , Thanks to all.

With some help by big6x6, I chose to get the Leupold QRW low rings and Weaver GS bases. Bought two sets of rings, one for the Tasco and one for a recently acquired Sightron 2.5x7x32 ( thanks Chuck).

You are move than welcome and hope you like the scope. I KNOW it is a good one and those bases/rings are hard to beat. You almost HAVE to have good stuff to get good results. I think you are seeing that for yourself!

Sounds like you are ready to go hunting!

Latest posts

Back