Elk Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firedawg

Reaction score
What do you think would be a better bullet for a Knight Revolution for Elk, the 348 grn or 404 grn powerbelt aerotip. I am in Colorado and am not allowed to use sabots. I know I should try them both but money is tight and I was hoping someone had some experience with the two bullets. Thanks!

I have always used the 405 aerotip. However, this year I went with the new platinum 338 grain, hoping that it would stay together better. Haven't shot one at an elk yet, so not sure.

If I had my druthers, I would probably use a Maxiball or a no excuses in a 400 plus bullet. However, my Omega will not shoot anything but powerbelts in conicals, so I am stuck. May have to trade it in for a Knight....

I think it is very important to find a bullet that you are accurate with and very confident in its performance. I know where you are coming from as far as money being tight, but you have a long time till next fall and if you can afford to go elk hunting, you can afford to try some different bullets and see what works in your gun. My first choice would be the No excuses 460 grain. They are cheaper than powerbelts.

Thanks for the info, some buddies and I are all gonna try the 405 aerotips and 777 powder. What size powder do you recommend FFG or FFFG?

I think most people (me included) use the ffg. Remember that ffg is about 15% more powerful than an equivalent volume of pyrodex/black powder. In other words, 100 grains of ffg 777 is the same as 115 gr. of pyrodex. If you use fffg, it will be even more powerful, and you have to cut your amount back even more.

Most people I know that use ffg 777 for elk use between 90 and 110 grains of loose powder. In my opinion, NEVER use more than 120 grains of loose 777 powder, and then only in a gun rated for 150 grains (pellets). You will not know if your particular gun will like a certain bullet with a certain powder before you try it. What works for you will not work for me.

If you use a 400+ bullet and anything above 80 grains of powder, you can kill any elk that walks. Don't get caught up in the hype that you have to use a magnum charge. Anything much above 100 grains, I start flinching to much and loose accuracy anyway

Powerbelt

I know a guide that has shot several elk with a 245 and 295 powerbelt aerotip. He says speed kills. I myself am going with the 295 aerotip this year with 110 grns of 777.

Powerbelts and Elk hunting...

Have you heard about problems with powerbelts not exiting/leaving a blood trail with Elk?

Re: Powerbelts and Elk hunting...

joel said:
Have you heard about problems with powerbelts not exiting/leaving a blood trail with Elk?

That is a problem you are going to face no matter what projectile you shoot. I have heard of projectiles that should have passed through, that never made it. For that reason you really have to trust your shot placement. If you put that conical in the right place and damage the right internal organs, the elk will die. It then is just a matter of, now much steam did you take out of him/her.

I read of elk running extreme distances and leaving no blood trail, while others lay down on the spot and simply expire there. Just have some tracking skills, shoot for the major organs, and you should be fine.

I have shot elk with 348 AT powerbelts and it killed them dead,they did not go far, There was no exit hole, on one the bullet looked like a half dollar and on another all we found was the green skirt in the elk.
They will work and in Co. you have to use conicals and a lot of ML's that is the only one that will shoot.
Redclub

Back