Encore Lug Replacement?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get an Encore lug removed and a new one welded back on?
The barrel is a Bergara .300 Win Mag.
I spoke with Bergara. They stopped producing Encore barrels back in 2015. They will only refund the barrel with original sales receipt which I do not have.
I am more interested in having repaired since I already invested in scope, one base and rings and a clamp on muzzle brake for this barrel.
IMG_7720.jpegIMG_7719.jpegIMG_7718.jpegIMG_7722.jpeg

That's gonna be tough repair. Welding it is easy but you won't be able to get good penetration to make it strong due to its shape.You have to to careful with the heat transfer to the barrel also along with warpage.A whole new lug would be simpler.I been a certified welder for over 35 years before someone throws a comment. Welding aircraft turbines and GE power turbine combustion internals. More certs than birthday's and I just turned 50.Someone could put a weld on it, but would eventually break again . It's just really a bad spot to break

That's gonna be tough repair. Welding it is easy but you won't be able to get good penetration to make it strong due to its shape.You have to to careful with the heat transfer to the barrel also along with warpage.A whole new lug would be simpler.I been a certified welder for over 35 years before someone throws a comment. Welding aircraft turbines and GE power turbine combustion internals. More certs than birthday's and I just turned 50.Someone could put a weld on it, but would eventually break again . It's just really a bad spot to break
Like I said in the OP. Looking to have lug replaced, not repaired. I would never trust a repair weld at that break.

Might want to compare the cost of a new barrel from MGM or SSK ect to the cost of a repair too.
https://www.sskfirearms.com/firearm-components/complete-barrels/300_winchester_magnum_1.html
Yes, that is exactly what I am contemplating and waiting on. I first have to find someone who is competent and willing to do the work. Then figure out if the cost is worth it depending on what they would charge.
The cost of the original barrel is not the only factor. I had also purchased a Witt Machine clamp on brake, custom machined to fit the end of that particular barrel. Also purchased a Talley One Piece scope mount to fit that barrel as well. I may end up with a very expensive paper weight/mater stake. :think: Oh well.

I'd take the refund and look for a replacement barrel... You would think Bergara would be concerned about it even though you don't have a receipt. I'd find a forum like this that Bergara is on like a Bergara barrel forum or something and start bad mouthing them and maybe they will see it and take action

I'd take the refund and look for a replacement barrel... You would think Bergara would be concerned about it even though you don't have a receipt. I'd find a forum like this that Bergara is on like a Bergara barrel forum or something and start bad mouthing them and maybe they will see it and take action
I would have thought so as well. They said repair was not even a consideration. They said no refund without original sales receipt even though I explained to them that it broke the first time it was fired. Did not matter to them. (They will not give me a refund. I am S.O.L.)

Have you reached out to some of the guys that build encore smokeless muzzleloader barrels? They might be willing to replace the lug.Its worth a try. I would be asking Mark at Woodman. He definitely has the know how and equipment. I know he doesn't do encore stuff, but from every conversation I've had with him, he's a super nice guy and really knowledgeable. It may take him a while to get to it but worth a shot.

Last edited:
Have reached out to some of the guys that build encore smokeless muzzleloader barrels? They might be willing to replace the lug.Its worth a try. I would be asking Mark at Woodman. He definitely has the know how and equipment. I know he doesn't do encore stuff, but from every conversation I've had with him, he's a super nice guy and really knowledgeable. It may take him a while to get to it but worth a shot.
So far I have reached out to Bestill. He does not work on Encore lugs. I sent a message to Mike Bellm, but have not heard back.
I will try Mark. Thanks for the suggestion.
I am open to any other suggestions if anyone has them.

Latest posts

Back