Fast Twist .36 Cal Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lewis,

Is he re-boring your donor barrel or making a whole new one and just copying the TC?

ShawnT said:
Lewis,

Is he re-boring your donor barrel or making a whole new one and just copying the TC?

Making a Whole New Barrel, Just copying The TC for Fit :yeah: This .36 Cal is gonna be 32” long

Magnum said:
That’s a nice machine there. Maybe a three piece take down rod in a scabbard for hunting? I’ve seen them before. The 1-14” rifling sure is a fast twist but I think with that bullet it’s a match made in heaven. What powder? I can’t wait to be updated. I’m looking for a new build for this coming year and really wanted to put together a flintlock in .50 ( something I don’t have), you know the sicknesses! Well good luck with that build and I’ll be patiently watching Lewis.
Merry Christmas, Chris

I ended up Going 1:15 Twist, It matches up Better on JBM, I don’t think I would have went wrong with a 1:14 or a 1:16, Split the Difference and call it a Day :lol: Powder adjustments, Bullet Fit, etc. I’ll get it figured out :yeah: I will be using Swiss 2 and 3F exclusively. Merry Christmas to You as well My Friend!

granite7 said:
Good for you, Lewis! There’s not many things more exciting than a new gun! What method of blueing are you going to do? I have always admired the slow rust blue of the old Winchester guns.

I haven’t made up my mind for sure yet on Blueing? I might try the Ole Rust Blue Method? I have had really good Results with Birchwood Casey Super Blue, Just for Parts (Touch up) I cant see why it wouldn’t work on a Whole Barrel? I thought about sending it out and having it Done Professionally, But then again why not Do it myself and learn to like it :lol:

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:
Lewis,

Making a Whole New Barrel, Just copying The TC for Fit :yeah: This .36 Cal is gonna be 32” long
Ok, Thought that was what you were meaning.

I have a Knight LK in .36. I don't remember the exact twist but I think it is a 1 in 24? So far only shot sabots.

ShawnT said:
Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:
Lewis,

Ok, Thought that was what you were meaning.

I have a Knight LK in .36. I don't remember the exact twist but I think it is a 1 in 24? So far only shot sabots.

How does your .36 Cal Knight LK Shoot? What Weight of Bullet, and Sabots do you shoot in it?

There is only one sabot made. The little MMP gray. Last loads were with the 100gn XTP and some Ranier 100gn HP. Both needed to be knurled some. I was shooting 50 grains of Swiss 3f too. Did ok with Pyro P but Swiss did seem better, just a real pain for me to get being in NY. I have thought about getting a mold made for some smooth sided bullets at bit larger in diameter for the sabots. But other things have gotten in the way and the rifle has been sitting for a while. Hope to start back with it next year. Conicals could be a good way to go but never shot one myself. Doubt that those long big lead you going to shoot would work well in this little rifles twist. :wink:

ShawnT said:
Doubt that those long big lead you going to shoot would work well in this little rifles twist. :wink:

1 way to find out! After i get the Mold and get some poured up i will Gladly send you some to try, along with my Bear Grease mixture lube, and enough 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads :yeah:

Be neat to know if your Knight will shoot these or not? I have seen strange things with this stuff! My Rice Barrel with it’s 1:20 Twist shoots these Small 45 Colt Pistol bullets REALLY well, But my 1:30 Green Mountain LRH won’t shoot them for Hoot? I would think it should be the exact opposite?

Idaholewis said:
QO4LKmb.jpg
I love the looks of that!
Appears to be a sin bar type.. awesome and rare machine.

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:
Doubt that those long big lead you going to shoot would work well in this little rifles twist. :wink:

1 way to find out! After i get the Mold and get some poured up i will Gladly send you some to try, along with my Bear Grease mixture lube, and enough 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads :yeah:

Be neat to know if your Knight will shoot these or not? I have seen strange things with this stuff! My Rice Barrel with it’s 1:20 Twist shoots these Small 45 Colt Pistol bullets REALLY well, But my 1:30 Green Mountain LRH won’t shoot them for Hoot? I would think it should be the exact opposite?

Mine shot good with 100 grain XTPs but had to knurled them to get them tight enough to suit me and start shooting. Shot 50 grains of Swiss with a CCI Mag #11. Then something came up and have not got back to it. Will most likely be end of spring or beginning of summer before I get it back out. Got to many projects going at the moment. I would have to figure out the bore size to go with a full bore bullets too. Maybe I can hook up with ya later on and see if the LK will handle those. Can only imagine what those would do to a coyote. :wink:

Do you plan to use a wad with those? What size would you use?

ShawnT said:
Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:

Mine shot good with 100 grain XTPs but had to knurled them to get them tight enough to suit me and start shooting. Shot 50 grains of Swiss with a CCI Mag #11. Then something came up and have not got back to it. Will most likely be end of spring or beginning of summer before I get it back out. Got to many projects going at the moment. I would have to figure out the bore size to go with a full bore bullets too. Maybe I can hook up with ya later on and see if the LK will handle those. Can only imagine what those would do to a coyote. :wink:

Do you plan to use a wad with those? What size would you use?

Sounds good :yeah: I will definitely be using an OP Wad, i have a bunch of Oxyoke brand 1/8” .40 Cal Wool felt Wads, They work great in my little TC Seneca .36 Cals. Same principle as i go by with my Bigger calibers, for 45 Cal i use a 50 Cal Wad etc. etc., I prefer to go Oversize on the Wad, With Wool Felt it’s super easy, a .40 Cal Wool Felt Wad is no problem to get down a .36 Bore :yeah:

I haven’t done blueing on such a large piece before. I look forward to some pictures along the way, I hope. I made a Muzzleloading pistol kit a long time ago with my Dad, but that short barrel was easy to cold blue. I haven’t done the rust blueing either, but I was fascinated to read about the way Winchester did it (Either Riffle’s or Madis’ book - I cant remember which).

granite7 said:
I haven’t done blueing on such a large piece before. I look forward to some pictures along the way, I hope. I made a Muzzleloading pistol kit a long time ago with my Dad, but that short barrel was easy to cold blue. I haven’t done the rust blueing either, but I was fascinated to read about the way Winchester did it (Either Riffle’s or Madis’ book - I cant remember which).

I am not expecting to get Professional results, i have watched a few videos and have a pretty good idea on how i plan to go about it. My goal is to get it Covered, i will learn to live with it however it turns out? :lol:

Black Ice is a very flat black Teflon based coating. Might have a couple other colors too. Tougher than Duracoat but not as tough as nitride. Its also just exterior unlike nitride which also protects the bore.

Nitride is best on chromoly. Makes the surface super tough and far more corrosion resistant. So if you got the bucks nitride is the winner. Probably set you back close to $150ish though.

I wondered about nitride also, but I’m not sure if Lewis wants a more traditional looking finish. I have one centerfire barrel in nitride and I like it.

I am WAY more into functionality than Traditional :D in Fact Traditional Looking means NOTHING to me personally, I just prefer the Function, Simplicity, and Cleaning of Sidelock Muzzleloaders

Where is a Good place to look in to Nitride finishing? Any places you have used, or know of that is spoke highly of?

Pretty sure Sabotloader had some nitride done on some Knight parts. It aint cheap but its so much better than coatings. Nitride actually changes the surface of the metal. Works best on chromoly as far as hardening goes. Almost like a cross between hardening and a matte bluing but even tougher. Its hard to even scratch it.

Looks like these guys are only $85 if im reading this correctly.
https://www.wmdguns.com/media/wysiwyg/P ... 209-18.pdf
Barrel : □ Nitromet™ ID and OD $85

Nitromet Salt Bath Nitrocarburizing (Melonite, Tennifer, Black Nitride)

This process is the new industry leader in bore coatings for firearm barrels—achieving a 30% greater lifespan in the bore than chrome! It provides a Rc 55 surface through a high temperature diffusion process. This technology is applicable to metals that can withstand the processing temperatures such as barrels, gas blocks, magazines, steel receivers, etc.

Thank you GM54! If this .36 Cal Barrel ends up shooting good i will contact that outfit and find out all of the Details? If 85 bucks is right i will go for it!

I just ordered my Shavers Front Globe, Same one i have on the Green Mountain 1:18 Twist, i plan to Swap Barrels back n forth from the Renegade Stock that the 1:18 Twist is in, at least for testing this New Barrel, I went with the Same 1-1/8” High Front Globe (Made For Lee’s Ferris Creedmoor Rifles) Since that is the Height i needed to get a 100 yard Zero with the 1:18 Twist .45 Cal, This is due to how high the Tang Mounted Long Range Soule peep sight sits on the Renegade Tang

As you can see here I wasn’t able to use the existing Rear Tang hole due to the sight Base, i ended having to set it up just forward of the Existing rear Hole (Had to drill and Tap 2 new Holes) Had i been able to use the existing Rear hole I might have gotten away with his tallest Standard front Globe sight which is .850 High? It’s all good though, i like the Adjustable Front sight for his Ferris Creedmoor MUCH better anyway :yeah:
pt5LUQTm.jpg
pFd9nHLm.jpg

Idaholewis said:
I am WAY more into functionality than Traditional :D in Fact Traditional Looking means NOTHING to me personally, I just prefer the Function, Simplicity, and Cleaning of Sidelock Muzzleloaders

Where is a Good place to look in to Nitride finishing? Any places you have used, or know of that is spoke highly of?

I see GM54 came in with an answer already. I have heard of WMD also. That price sheet looks like it is geared toward modern sporting rifles (aka the Evil Black Rifle or AR-15). The nitriding process involves high heat, so I have heard that barrel parts should be disassembled before nitride treatment. I have heard of problems with AR-15 receiver extensions coming loose if the barrel assembly was treated after assembly. Anyway, all of that to say, it might be worth an email to WMD to see if they will treat muzzleloader barrels at that same price.

On a side note, muzzle-loaders.com has Mountaineers listed with nitrided barrels. That is what I really wanted, but after speaking with their salesman, it sounds like it was announced by Knight but not yet released. Rather than wait (who knows how long) I went with the stainless.

Latest posts

Back