Fast Twist .36 Cal Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I have wanted to build a Fast Twist .36 Cal for a Long time now, it is finally happening! The .36 Cal is not legal to hunt with here in Idaho, Not even for Deer. So I decided to Skip having an under rib and thimbles added, This Barrel/Rifle is gonna be Strictly a Fun Benchrest/Target Rifle, and when shooting from a Bench i prefer to use a Range Rod for Swabbing between shots, and Loading. Jim Carpenter has The Barrel done now (Cut Rifled on an Old Pratt & Whitney Rifling machine) We are Just waiting on the New Breech plug to arrive. I went 32” Long with this Barrel, it is 1” Across the Flats to be Fitted in a TC Renegade, or .54 Hawken Stock (1” Barrel Channel) She’s gonna be a HEAVY Brute! But that is EXACTLY what i wanted!! And why i had it built this way. The Front sight is a Lee Shaver’s Adjustable windage 17 Series front Globe (For His Ferris Creedmoor rifles) Jim will Cut the Dovetail for the Sight and install it when i get down to pick the Barrel up. I chose to go 1:15 Twist, and Had a Custom Bullet Mold made by Tom at Accurate molds, I submitted the design to Accurate Molds, Tom drew it up, i approved it, and ordered the Mold in Iron/Steel, he Cut it for me that same Day :ttups:

This is the Front sight that will be installed on the barrel
sAZOIgDm.jpg

This the Bullet design i came up with
kJvXNyGm.jpg

Picture of my new little .36 Cal bullet right, beside my .45 Cal .453 Elliptical Nose Bullet from a Mold i had made at Buffalo Arms, The Big Elliptical bullet weighs in at 543 Grains, The .36 weighs 337 Grains with my 1-40 Alloy
qOhKKjWm.jpg

And Weight of the new .36 Bullet
Y0RfQMsm.jpg

Keep us informed on the progress and why not provide the approximate cost for those interested in building one like yours. Sounds like a fun gun to own to me.  Hell Jonathan with build one, he's always building something.

wow thats it neat!

I wouldnt do a .36 but maybe a 45 so i could still hunt deer legally. But for paper punching and competition, that 36 would be pretty darn fun.

I have been reading old research papers on what was used during different wars.

In the late 1400's, gun makers concocted the first crude rifling in an attempt to mimic the spin effect that fletching gave to arrows. Rifling, as we know it today, didn’t appear until the mid-1500's, and then it was probably used only in specialty guns because they were so slow to load. The British army was still shooting smooth bore muskets in 1776, a big part of the reason General Washington and his backwoods hunters shot them to pieces with their rifled flintlocks.

I found twists for squirrel rifles in the era of 1770's from 1-14 to 1-7 they probably spun the bullets and balls like crazy with a high pitched sound.  You hear noise - that would make you hit the ground just from the sound with your Brown Bess.  :tongue:

Sounds very interesting, please keep us posted on this project as it continues, very interested!

Latest posts

Back