First of many days with the 50 cal fast twist smokeless trying to establish Harvester smooth or ribbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot the 400 game Furies with the 2012 Barrel one day with Varget I tried two different groups both groups I had two bullets beside each other touching and the third bullet squibbed just a little bit didn't sound like it had good ignition I just stopped that day and went to shooting something else I decided to go back to the 400 grain Northern Precision today and I also decided to back off the feminine powder and go back to the testosterone 4198 this is 42 grains of 4198 this is five shots in a 2012 50 cal Woodman built test Barrel the accuracy looks phenomenal recall you got to focus a little bit to get behind this 400 grain bullet but once you see how it's shooting it helps inspire you to stay behind and follow through I am a little excited to say the least I'm kind of freaking out bear with me you all know I get wound up. Paper is loose on the backer I literally took wood glue and glued the paper to the backer it is really better then it looks again bore rider type accuracy with plastic!

Attachments

• 20240221_145311.jpg
    20240221_145311.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
My morning caffeine fueled rant:
Perhaps the makers of the sabots will chime in here and discuss their findings while doing their R & D. Providing facts to support conclusions.
Maybe they'll subsidize your shooting. Maybe they'll at least comment!

Where can I get some 4198???????
Powder valley and brownells had some recently midway had some last I looked.
I bought 8 pounds

A beautiful but windy day here in Southwest Arkansas, a little more work with the 20 twist ,this is Fury 325 grain over 52 grains of IMR 4198 ,I had shot 59 grains of IMR 4198 in the 22 twist with excellent results on three different 325 grain bullets, I expected the 20 to even be better again yesterday you noticed the 400 Gr group was phenomenal, this is three shots I'm going to put a couple more in the group but a lot of potential and the recoil with 52 grains is much easier than 59 gr., Hope to come back and do some velocity checks and a lot more tweaking up and down off of some of these basic charges,, there is a definite constant accuracy thread in both of these barrels and yes part of that is 4198 I am surprised even with heavy bullets it out shoots the other powders, I'm sure it would not necessarily in velocity or even in the perfect pressure ,however again my focus right now is the best unsupported simple load of a single powder with no wads or no base help of any type, that can be added later.

Attachments

• 20240222_115414.jpg
    20240222_115414.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I did not expect it ,I've been flirting with all the other powders and ignoring 4198 with the big bullets I'm always trying to study and look at all of the other rifle cartridge pressures and loads that don't necessarily mirror smokeless muzzleloading yet they influence some of our recipes a little bit and I noticed in a lot of those recipes with the 45 Cal rifles they have loads for IMR 4198 and 400 grain bullets and 350 grain I'm going to quit ignoring those after shooting 4198 yesterday and today and of course I really wish I had H instead but I am are is good for me I do find after about 15 shots my accuracy drops but only slightly the first three groups of five out of both of these barrels are phenomenal.

Have a heavy win blowing today almost 20 mph consistent wrapping up 200 rounds on the 20 twist group of three is with a 325 Northern Precision pinpoint the other group of four is the 300 grain 45 Cal xtp Mag 325 was shot with 52 grains the 300 grain was shot with 54 just kind of having fun wrapping things up today my goal was 200 shots with each Barrel you can see the glue where it dripped yesterday I glued the targets on I ran out of Staples it's hard being poor there is a bullet down on the bottom of that Target that was already there wasn't part of the group xtps surprise me I've never messed with a much

Attachments

• 20240223_104055.jpg
    20240223_104055.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240223_114914.jpg
    20240223_114914.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
In the review and comments yesterday I listed 14 bullets reminding everybody this morning those all shot under an inch in both barrels ,if moving to the faster twist gave my barrels that much flexibility I just cannot imagine not wanting that, if someone took my base foundation here and worked on increasing velocity and pressure testing and tweaked those also or at least made those parameters known it would make the future better not only for smokeless but for even black powder and the subs and black horn if you hunt with that and you're not interested in smokeless at all wouldn't you still be interested in having a 50 cal that could shoot a lot more variety of bullets in today's times of shortages and difficult to find product,,, a fast twist 50 the more I think about it is the most versatile loader in America today not just the smokeless type if I wanted to put black powder in this gun and shoot a big monster 550 or 600 grain 50 cal bullet it's capable of that and I can walk in any store in America Walmart or sporting goods and buy bullets that will work both smokeless and with the other subs and black horn,, I'm very drawn to a rifle that does many things well and yes it's cool to have a rifle that does one thing excellent too but what I'm talking about is more of the big picture with this project not any specific gun even the ones I've tested with these barrels what I see in these barrels could make muzzleloading better.

I wasn't able to spend time with 429 bullets because the green plastic did not hold up to smokeless for me rather than ring my hands about it I decided to go back and try the bullets I was going to try with smokeless with Blackhorn today pretty good success almost everything was around an inch it really like this 429 Northern Precision 300 grain bonded bullet this is eight shots this is 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn, because there is no other charge ,my heart beats to 70 grains of Blackhorn. One of the better sessions I've ever had with 44 cal bullets there may be hope yet

Attachments

• 20240301_125844.jpg
    20240301_125844.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I guess this is the lot number

Attachments

• 20240301_190022.jpg
    20240301_190022.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I've never got a 28 twist to shoot 44,, I know you realize this is a 20, I've never had a decent group with a 44 Cal bullet ever ,,I shot four other 44 cal bullets everything was right around the inch everything looked very tunable, I shot everything with that 70 grains by weight load it's just icing on the cake for me, right now after spending a lot of time with the 50 cal fast with and having such success with the other bullets I think in the next couple of days I will shoot some 458 bullets in the orange but shoot Black Horn instead of smokeless just to see what the twist does.

yep i have been following right along with you just curios as there are alot of 1-28 twists out there. thanks for all your info it really helps alot of us that cant get to the range as often as we like. gives us a good place to start.

You're very welcome, I appreciate that, the 50 fast twist is proven extremely versatile really is one of the most versatile muzzleloaders I've ever had ,both barrels, as far as bullet selection and accuracy. I did not expect to have that position going into this, right at 500 rounds now between both barrels hard to find something that they don't shoot.

Back