First of many days with the 50 cal fast twist smokeless trying to establish Harvester smooth or ribbed?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
Spent the afternoon shooting the 22 twist 50 cal Douglas Barrel started out with some 275 grain furies over 39 grains of sr4759 in the old can which it shot good but a couple of shots during the 10 or 11 I shot that felt weak and they were out of the group I switched to 4198 again just looking more at the smooth Harvester versus ribbed the group today I'm posting is 59 grains of 4198 IMR in a smooth Harvester black with a 275 grain Fury this is a 8 shot group there's six shots in the clump and two shots to the right I'm really thinking I need to switch Scopes I've had a couple of other groups today that did this I had a nice group and then to the right or left I had a couple of other bullets touching always know when I pull a bullet which I really didn't feel like I did on those two shots that are touching to the right I think I have a scope problem still very happy with today's results and again want to thank Mark Woodman for helping with the project

Attachments

• 20240126_163628.jpg
    20240126_163628.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I'm trying to established which Harvester black was best ,I knew it was going to be one of the two that showed a slight difference, the smooth did,however the rib was real close ,I also wanted to see how far I can push that plastic without having to use anything underneath it for support ,base, wad Etc, with the sr4759 if I got much above 40 grains even the Harvester black looked really bad and shredded again this was with no support at all under it so I know that 38 or 39 is about all I can do if I'm going to shoot that powder or I need to try some support under it which I'll get to later on the same thing with the imr4198 load it had no support under it, 60, 61,62 even 60 was too hard on the plastic 59 grains was okay but still showed some sabot abuse. I'm trying to learn the limits and the sweet spots of this Barrel and this rifle, once I establish that , I have lot of other bullets I want to shoot,, all in time.

Spent the afternoon shooting the 22 twist 50 cal Douglas Barrel started out with some 275 grain furies over 39 grains of sr4759 in the old can which it shot good but a couple of shots during the 10 or 11 I shot that felt weak and they were out of the group I switched to 4198 again just looking more at the smooth Harvester versus ribbed the group today I'm posting is 59 grains of 4198 IMR in a smooth Harvester black with a 275 grain Fury this is a 8 shot group there's six shots in the clump and two shots to the right I'm really thinking I need to switch Scopes I've had a couple of other groups today that did this I had a nice group and then to the right or left I had a couple of other bullets touching always know when I pull a bullet which I really didn't feel like I did on those two shots that are touching to the right I think I have a scope problem still very happy with today's results and again want to thank Mark Woodman for helping with the project
Welllll you've certainly had us all on the edge of our seats awating this first range report.
great job with everything, nice shooting too. You're really on to something there & dang if that 4198 didn't shine huh.
Thanks for the post bro.

The Rifle action is a defiant anti ,the rifle barrel work and breech plug were built by Mark Woodman, the barrel is a Douglas premium the gun was put together really just as a lab study rifle I'll post some pictures of it the next sunny day but it's very much a lab gun which is perfect for me it is a 125 bull barrel with a brake.

Shot a confirmation group this afternoon just because a gun was a hot rod one day don't mean it is always this is another five shots with the 50 cal 1-22 Douglas 59 grains of IMR 4198 it's definitely not a fluke also shot another group with the new 300 grain Fury stb it was a bride it a half inch too

Attachments

• 20240128_141722.jpg
    20240128_141722.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 0
I took the muzzle brake off today 59 grains is not that hard on the shoulder the load again is Harvester black smooth, bullet is a 452 275 grain star tip, will be shooting all week this week will post more groups will post some pictures of the 300 grain stb groups as well as other bullets for next few days

I would do bore rider bullets , had a 24 twist knight , used furys , also shot 650 grain PP with black powder 1 1/2 Swiss

I have five different bullets I want to shoot sized for bore all in time I agree with you it would do good with a big bullet

Shot a confirmation group this afternoon just because a gun was a hot rod one day don't mean it is always this is another five shots with the 50 cal 1-22 Douglas 59 grains of IMR 4198 it's definitely not a fluke also shot another group with the new 300 grain Fury stb it was a bride it a half inch too
NIce shooting! You can't complain about a group like that. Well done brother

Back