Favorite Modern long guns - a continuation of the Traditional thread.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite smokeless shooting gun is my Ruger #1 in 45/70. Even when shooting smokeless, I still prefer single shots.
Single shot :thumbs up: anything has been my personal hunting approach for some time now. If you rely on having a second shot available then you should not have taken the first shot in the first place.

I have few really "modern" rifles. My favorites were built in the 1940's except for a recent Henry Big Boy.
Husqvarna M94/96 Small Ring Action Mauser - It is a Swedish Small Ring Mauser in 8mm Mauser – (7.92 x 57}. Manufactured in approx. 1946. It has a reinforced receiver with nice Husqvarna crest. These were commercial rifles sold to the public, not rebuilt military rifles. They were made for hunting and target practice. Husqvarna built both the commercial rifles as well as rifles for the military.
Swedish Mauser Sporter Serial # 49212 left.jpg
Swedish Mauser Sporter Serial # 49212right.jpg

Then there is a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt:
It has a 20″ octagonal barrel and a fully adjustable semi-buckhorn rear sight with a reversible white diamond insert and a brass beaded front sight. The tubular magazine holds 10 rounds.
Henry Repeating Arms Yellow Boy 45 Colt crpsm.JPG
Ron

Belgium made Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag. Back when I was living in CT it was my go to private land rifle when the freezer was empty.

Attachments

• 99CE9560-D4B3-47E4-8671-D3CDF45C6C2E.jpeg
    99CE9560-D4B3-47E4-8671-D3CDF45C6C2E.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 4
Belgium made Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag. Back when I was living in CT it was my go to private land rifle when the freezer was empty.
Yep...when the freezer is empty and the season is winding down, it's time to bring-out the BIG guns and feed the family:)

I have four centerfire rifles that I love. Favorite is a Ruger No. 1 RSI International with custom manlicher stock in 7X57 Mauser. Leupold vari x 2 compact 2-7x28 scope (I think) mind is a terrible thing to waste. Definitely my lucky gun. Only sees dry weather because my left handed Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm08 goes out in rain. Post photos later or tomorrow.

I no longer have most of my great rifles but have relied on these four I still own. Haven't hunted with smokeless in over 15 years, MLs exclusively. But I could not let these go. A dump truck load of deer know these rifles very well.
Savage M99 .250 sav, Marlin M95 45/70, Ruger M77 .250 sav and Remington M700 .350 Rem mag. Since all my hunting has been with handloads here's what they ate: .250 100 grain bullets, though capable of higher velocities, were loaded to factory speeds as the accuracy was eye-popping. 45/70 a 400 grain jsp at 1800 fps. Recoil is substantial, deer killing ability is incredible and accuracy is beyond dispute. That leaves the .350. I've used both 200 grn and 250 grn bullets on deer but settled on a factory level load. It can push that 200 grn very, very fast (unnecessary for my needs) and no load was over 1"" with the ave group being about 5/8" for a 20 shot group consisting of 4 different loads. I haven't owned another rifle - and I've owned dozens - that were as consistently accurate & tiny groupers as these four.

Interesting. The sweet spot for my M99 .250 sav is 32 grains of 4320. The Ruger .250 likes 32 grains of 3031.

I am an old MilSurp head, nutball Modern GO TO will be my Arisaka 6.5 and my pet load ELD 6.5 .264 123 grain 37 grains 4320 (imr). Shoot ALL DAY or fill the freezer
I enjoy my milsurps as well. A Swedish M96 (built in 1906) in 6.5 x 55 tops the list in accuracy. A Swiss K31 (7.5 x 55) and Finnish M39 follow closely.
Swedish M96 with Elite sight.
SwedishMausermineElitesight4.jpg

Swiss K31 (1936) with straight pull bolt. What a fabulous piece of machining.
SwissK31taken8-18-08 (11)enhsm.JPG
Finn M39 (7.62 x 54R). "The quality of workmanship of the M39 may indeed be the best of all the Mosin Nagant line of rifles, with maybe only certain versions of the Mosin sniper rifles even giving them a run for their money in this category." From another writer: "There're among the best war rifles ever made. Certainly among the best of the Mosins."
FINN MODEL 39 MOSIN-NAGANT1942MINE no ser#.jpg

Ron

Very nice long arms fellas. I’m down to a Win 88/308 (was my dads) and a TC Encore in 25-06.
I have a Lee Enfield .303 British with US PROPERTY stamped on the receiver.
And a Win 94 30-30 made the year I was born- it’s a post 64 ;).
Other than two accurized Savage Axis in 223 and 308 all the rest are shotguns and my beloved BP guns.
As for the Axis’s, I love these cuz they’re so dang accurate out of the box.

I have a few Ruger #1s to chose from, but the only one with a lot of bluing worn off is my one A light carbine in 284 Win rechambered from a 7 X 57 with a Leupold 7 1/2 AO scope. Yea I know, but I had a bunch of 284 brass and dies and there was my logic. Never regretted the sex change as it is a good shooter and a joy to carry. My H&A under hammers are beginning to show some wear now too! Great challenge on antelope and on my bucket list is a called in mountain lion with my 50 or 54, certainly doable if I live long enough LOL

Sometime in the early 1980's I became financially successful enough to have my dream western hunting rifle built. Base is a left handed Rem 700 action, blueprinted as if building an NRA Highpower Rifle for competition. A Mark Chanlynn/Rocky Mtn Rifleworks barrel in 7mm was fitted, and chambered for 7mm Express, which is nothing but 280 Rem long throated to use heavier bullets. This was fitted to a Bell & Carlson fibreglass stock. A 2-7x Burris scope mounted in Conetrol rings, Canjar trigger, and Whelen sling were added. The Burris, Canjar and sling are all Colorado-made products. All work was done by Chanlynn and Dave Sullivan, now proprietor of Westwind Rifles in Erie, Colorado.

The initial load was 60 grains of Hodgdon 4831 pushing a Nosler 160 grn Partition bullet. Some years later, when I couldn't find Partition bullets, Nosler AccuBond bullets were found satisfactory, and not subject to tip damage on recoil. This is a hot load, shoots very flat.

I've owned two Ruger #2 single shots and...oh well. The rifle that fired this group was an amazing Weatherby, the one with the synthetic stock. It's a 30/06 and was a BIG rifle. This is a 5-shot group that shows what it was capable of. Sadly, I couldn't keep it because it had such a long lop that I wasn't able to see the full targets through the scope; couldn't get close enough to the eyepiece. That was with only a t-shirt. Wearing hunting clothes meant I would barely get it mounted on my shoulder.

JbIDl0d.jpg

Model of 1917, 30-06. Leupold fixed 4x scope. Shoots lights out with 150gr federal blue box ammo. Rifle and ammo is enough to kill anything in north America.
Wow , no wonder they call you longrifle!!😉

My favorite modern rifle, is also my most accurate rifle. Ruger M77 mark II in SS with the "boatpaddle" stock in 30/06. Has scope and open sights . Its my go to, game getter when I get serious about hunting.20161123_154957.jpg

Latest posts

Back