Federal Firestick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less than 1/2 of 1% of ALL the deer ever taken to the Michigan DNR during the last 25 yrs have EVER tested positive for bovine TB .

In the earlier years military snipers would head shoot the deer and let them lay in the fields . Farmers bitched so they "mended their ways" and gut shoot them instead .

I think that speaks for itself ....

Just to put this into perspective you used to be able to turn a corner by hay fields at night and see literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS OF DEER in them . Now youre LUCKY to see a handfull .

I dont like car insurance lobbying and i dont trust the DNR to do whats right with this fiddlestick Either.......

Its actually the incident rates that the DNR pays attention to, which IIRC they want under 1.2%. They started that crap of APR's stating that was going to help, then the incident numbers skyrocketed. They were told and didn't listen. How do I know? I was at every meeting. Mr. Russ Mason and I did not get along very well ;)

The night time shooters don't gut shoot them LOL All deer are harvested, the animals are taken to processing markets, the meat is processed, packaged, numbered and frozen for food banks, shelters and the like. Heads are all sent to MSU for testing, thus the numbering on all packages. Nothing is not utilized.

Its actually the incident rates that the DNR pays attention to, which IIRC they want under 1.2%. They started that crap of APR's stating that was going to help, then the incident numbers skyrocketed. They were told and didn't listen. How do I know? I was at every meeting. Mr. Russ Mason and I did not get along very well ;)

The night time shooters don't gut shoot them LOL All deer are harvested, the animals are taken to processing markets, the meat is processed, packaged, numbered and frozen for food banks, shelters and the like. Heads are all sent to MSU for testing, thus the numbering on all packages. Nothing is not utilized.
Encore honestly ive WATCHED THEM do just that . I saw the head shot deer littering fields around Posen . I know many of the farmers in that area . I KNOW how it was resolved years ago . Coyote and Bear populations have skyrocketed there . That was enough for me . That was my stomping grounds for decades . I see what youve been told . Regardless it never had to be in the first place . That 25 yr figure MAY be off . But the rest of it is what has happened and WITNESSED .

Encore honestly ive WATCHED THEM do just that . I saw the head shot deer littering fields around Posen . I know many of the farmers in that area . I KNOW how it was resolved years ago . Coyote and Bear populations have skyrocketed there . That was enough for me . That was my stomping grounds for decades . I see what youve been told . Regardless it never had to be in the first place . That 25 yr figure MAY be off . But the rest of it is what has happened and WITNESSED .

For the past 15yrs, I've LIVED full time smack dab in the center of it all. What you may have witnessed in the past does not happen now. I personally know owners who's land was/is involved in the herd reduction programs, along with processing markets processing the meat.
Much of todays problems can be blamed on people who think about nothing but antler size and watch to many outdoor shows on TV. Not enough hunters are willing to harvest the necessary numbers of does, even though permits are only $5. Then all the propaganda from QDM, who in fact know the real issues for the area, yet refuse to help address it.
Mismanagement? Yup, some of that too.

For the past 15yrs, I've LIVED full time smack dab in the center of it all. What you may have witnessed in the past does not happen now. I personally know owners who's land was/is involved in the herd reduction programs, along with processing markets processing the meat.
Much of todays problems can be blamed on people who think about nothing but antler size and watch to many outdoor shows on TV. Not enough hunters are willing to harvest the necessary numbers of does, even though permits are only $5. Then all the propaganda from QDM, who in fact know the real issues for the area, yet refuse to help address it.
Except for this year my freezer has been kept full by them by mz season kills . I like bucks , big ones but the freezer dont care . Just couldnt get back up there this year .
If theyve cleaned up their act good . I still dont believe it was ever needed . For years i personally have taken at least 6 up there . Never ever had one sick nor anyone else in our group . 25 to 30 hanging at a time !!! I dunno what to say other than this was what we experianced . True for us .

I see the biggest advantage being the ability to unload the unfired rifle w/o any cleanup. Pull the fiddlestick and shove the bullet back out the muzzle and have a cold one! Personally I'm not buying into the hype but I'm sure some will love the idea.

I agree with the majority of your post except for the $5 doe permits. Those cost $20 same as a buck tag except for DMU 452 and 487 in the core CWD zone which were discounted to $12. If they were $5 I'm sure more does would be taken.

I agree with the majority of your post except for the $5 doe permits. Those cost $20 same as a buck tag except for DMU 452 and 487 in the core CWD zone which were discounted to $12. If they were $5 I'm sure more does would be taken.
Yup, it is up to $12 and you can buy 10 for private land. Honestly, if they were $1 each there likely wouldn't be a significant more amount of does taken.
There's not an absolute need to purchase doe permits to harvest does. Some hunt bucks only until the last couple days, then use their buck tag/s to take does.

Latest posts

Back