Felt wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Doodle

Reaction score
I am going to be trying some T/C Maxi Balls in mt T/C Hawken for the first time. The guy at the gunshop said that I would be better off if I seated a felt wad between the bullet and the powder. I could not seem to get a good reason as to why this would be needed or desirable. The bullet package plainly states that they are "Designed to be used as they come from this box. No further preparation is required."
So, What's with the wads? Do I really need them, or not?
Thank you all for any clarification you can provide.

Sometimes the wads will give you better accuracy. They are commonly used under flat bottom conicals and between powder and patch on roundball. The felt wad helps protect the bottom of the conical from the intense heat of the igntion of the powder. Some also feel it helps stabalize the barrel pressure better on the bottom of the projectile.

I've shot maxiball with and without. All you can do is try the rifle with them or without. Bore Buttons, Wonder Wads, Felt wads, all the same thing. They come in felt and cardboard.

You can make your own with a 1/2 inch hollow hole punch and some milk carton cardboard, or construction insultaiton felt. Or you can purchase them from different dealers.

Wads are not needed,
But some loads and guns may like them giving you better grouping

Try them, you may find them good for your rifle..

If not, no big deal.................

Both my .50 and .58 Renegades shot better groups with a felt wad between the powder and conicals. Try it, it can't hurt.

My Omega shoots the Maxi Balls with better accuracy using felt wads. Try it, it may help.

I gather the 1/2" hole punch is for the .50 cal, but what size punch would you use for a .54? Also, where would one go about finding these punches?

We've got a TON of 1/8" thick felt at work, generating a fair amount of scrap - my cheapness is kicking in.

Latest posts

Back