FFG or FFFg for 50cal Inline?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I keep seeing different opinions on which powder to use for my CVA 50cal inline. I shoot a 300gr .452 HP and usually shoot BH209 but 777 loose seems to be more locally available and economical. Also, I have 200 CCI Magnum shotshell primers. Do I need to buy the winchester 777 primers to use with 777 powder?

I usually use black horn 209 but when I use 777 I use winchester or rem primers because they are not as hot and it helps a lot with the crud ring you can get from 777. After my black horn is all gone I think I'll go to 777 all the time because of money and easy to get local

Any 209 primer will ignite triple 7..they have came out with the muzzlelaoder only primers like the triple 7 primers to try and control the crud ring triple 7 tends to leave behind as most 209 primers are so hit it creates a burn ru
I have in the barrel that’s tough to get out. As for 2f or 3f..you can technically shoot either one. I’d you go with 3f I’d back the charge down 10-15 percent as the burn rate is different from 2f..it all really boils down to what your rifle likes as well

CVA told me you must use FFG. They went as far to say if they found out i used FFFG they would void the warranty. Hodgdon though does have FFFG 50cal load data.

CCI mag primers will work but the crud ring will be more pronounced.

Last edited:
I usually use black horn 209 but when I use 777 I use winchester or rem primers because they are not as hot and it helps a lot with the crud ring you can get from 777. After my black horn is all gone I think I'll go to 777 all the time because of money and easy to get local
Thats my dilema. I cannot find blackhorn anywhere but 1 walmart near me. My local Cabelas has never carried it, Walmart only puts 2-3 bottles a year out, but everyone has 777 loose and pellets. I like to practice with my inline several times a year and BH209 adds up in cost quick.

Personally i dont see any problem using FFFG. Pellets make more pressure and they allow "mag" loads of pellets in the rifles. I just wanted to make sure you are aware what CVA says.

If you shoot lighter bullets you might find out T7 gives you a little more speed with the lighter loads anyway. When you can find them, the Speer 250gr DeepCurl/GoldDot is a great cheap bullet for lighter loads. ATM it might be easier to find 44cal bullets and Speer has a few of those you might like.

Personally i dont see any problem using FFFG. Pellets make more pressure and they allow "mag" loads of pellets in the rifles. I just wanted to make sure you are aware what CVA says.

If you shoot lighter bullets you might find out T7 gives you a little more speed with the lighter loads anyway. When you can find them, the Speer 250gr DeepCurl/GoldDot is a great cheap bullet for lighter loads. ATM it might be easier to find 44cal bullets and Speer has a few of those you might like.
I was shooting 300gr .452 with the blackhorn but since I load 44mag I also picked up .429 sabots for a backup. I used to shoot a 250gr shockwave and after not getting an exit or blood trail on a buck I shot at 45yards away I ditched them. I will try and find the speer you mentioned.

I keep seeing different opinions on which powder to use for my CVA 50cal inline. I shoot a 300gr .452 HP and usually shoot BH209 but 777 loose seems to be more locally available and economical. Also, I have 200 CCI Magnum shotshell primers. Do I need to buy the winchester 777 primers to use with 777 powder?
Those CCI 209M primers will ignite just about any type of black powder substitute. In my experience, the Winchester 209 primers are a little cleaner and sometimes help with accuracy, but they're also more expensive and don't work as well with Blackhorn 209 unless you're using a special blackhorn breech plug.
Either primer will work just fine with loose 777. Loose 777 is a great powder overall and I got great results with it for years back when we couldn't use 209 primers in Washington. Like you said, it's cheaper and ususally easier to find than Blackhorn 209.

CCI mag primers will work but the crud ring will be more pronounced.

Interested to hear others' opinions on this. I tried a bunch of different combinations of primers, powder volume, projectiles etc... and have never been able to fire 777 without getting a crud ring so bad it's either hard or impossible to full seat a bullet without sending a patch (or two) down the bore after each round. Ideas?

I use 3f Goex in my 45s, 50s, and 54s with no problems.

Yeah I don't have any "problems," per say, but the reduction in the crud ring I hear and read about, both on here and on the boxes of several brands of primers I've used, is something I have yet to see. Basically, in my testing, it's always there with T7 until I send at least two wet patches down the bore. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

Use 2f for 50 and above. . . . .the speed difference is not that difference, and most folks do not take those
200 and 300 yard shots anyhow. 2f is also easier on your gun too. Probably cheaper than 3F also.

I’ve always used FFF with no issues, I may have never gone over 100 grains for 50 cal.

Toby Bridges used fffg triple 7 powder in his load experiments for the Hi-lux muzzleloader scope that bears his name...

Back