Finally Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FINALLY -- I found some BH209 locally by accident, went to get some primers yesterday 1st shop didnt have what I wanted then I went to small shop where I first bought primers and powder and got the primers and for the hell of it asked if they had any BH 209...... this place is small and hardly carries any ML supplies and whenever I called in the past they only had Pyrodex, and T7. The guy said wait a minute I got something new in the other day lets see as soon as he opened his powder locker in the rear I saw the bottle and said yeah thats it,and cost me 34 no tax....... (cabelas wanted 29.99 and Id have to drive to Ct. 4 hr trip to get it. Hope to try this weekend upstate in Accura with new BP Ron made.

That stuff is as additive as Crack. Once you use it you are hooked. I think Crack might be cheaper though. :lol:

You should have bought a few bottles. Your gonna blast that jug up so fast with outstanding accuracy and no swabbing your gonna wonder where it went! Have fun :D

I just stock up when its on sale and the cost isnt as bad. Cabelas HAD a sale at $20 a bottle so i bought enough to last me for a very long time.

I seldom use anything else any more.

I had a case I bought from powder valley for 24 +Hazmat and shipping ended up 27. Then while on a vacation I ran across a place by Nashville that had it on sale for 22 so I bought an other case. It might take me a while but I will have it shot up in about 1.5 years.

At the Cabelas store in Richfield, WI today it was $24 a container. Not the enviable $20 but still not bad. I bought 2, they were rather busy at the store too. It was take a number for service.

Well Ive seen the light brothers I am converted,tried the Blackhorn this weekend and wow its all they say. I was shooting 90gr (vol) and a Barnes TEZ 250 , and CCI209. I started at 50 yds and dialed scope (Bushnell DOA 250) in for about 2" high . Then moved back to 100 yds and dialed scope in for there I should have let the barrel cool a little longer on a couple of the shots but in all I took I think 16 shots never running a patch though it. The last bullet loaded the same as the first. I was lying prone in a rough cow pasture wish I would have had a bench to shoot from but Im happy with the results. Now if I can get a couple of pics up here I cant get them on here for some reason

gman57

Glad you liked it. I was addicted to it from the first jug.

Once you get in the proper loading and breach plug cleaning routines its very reliable and VERY consistent IMO. My Accura was nearly 100% with a factory breach plug but occasionally a mag primer would hang fire. IMO it was because of the small volume in the flame "channel not the hole.

Most guys use a drill bit to keep the "channel" clean but i use a ProShot semi auto shotgun port brush and a torch pic on the flame "hole" on a OEM plug. This worked pretty well then i got interested in modded breach plugs. IMO just opening the flash hole .033-.035 might give most users 100% but some of my range sessions are 4 hours or more and 50 shots or more.

Rons plugs in my Accura and the Lehigh NFPJ conversions in my Knights/GMB have made both 100% with many primers and IMO it seems im getting better performance from BH209 also now. The Knights were 100% with a CCI209M/FPJ DISC but i wanted other options for the range....im a range junkie first and hunter second.

I enjoy long range sessions with little or no "down time" while the clock is running even though my range master gives me a big discount. BH209 allows me to shoot more and just as well on a fouled bore. Actually it shoots better on a "powder fouled bore" with BH209 and the proper cool down time.

One of the things ive found that helped the most is use the primer that fits the best in your gun. IF you can find a primer that is slightly tight (head spaced) , ignition is so close to center fire quality its amazing and cleanup is a breeze with most common smokeless solvents.

I start with a squeaky clean barrel and foul it with a couple of primers. After the 3 shot my groups start to tighten up a bit with sabots. Using conicals it doesnt seem to be as noticeable but maybe im just lucky with full bore options.

Best wishes in all your endeavors.

Thanks smyers717 that worked when I tried it to upload pic Ill try again here

this was 90 gr. BH with 250 Barnes TEZ, and CCI 209 primer fired 1 primer to foul barrel and no swabbing at all, the last shots on both targets were a little hurried barrel a little warm.

BH

were you shooting 90g BH by weight or volume? What does 100g of BH by volume weigh if anyone knows. thanks

I use 70 gr by weight for a 100 gr by volume equivalent. Other are using 67 gr by weight. I use a .7 multiplier as it makes the math easy.

If I wasn't so tight and stubborn I'd order some. No on in my area sells it nor plan on it. I really can't justify paying $20 extra for a Hazmat fee. IMO it is not needed and when your on a fixed income, $20 extra can be hard to come by.

I wont pay the hazmat either its BS if I didnt find it local Id be shooting the T7 3f I bought 2wks before. But it sure is sweet stuff. :D

Back